Squier J mascis Jazzy

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Squier J mascis Jazzy

Postby infamousalien » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:40 pm

My friend has one. Played it during band practice a few times. The neck does feel really great. The pick ups sound good (great with fuzz!) but not jazzmaster-y at all. The trem movement felt weird to me and not as fluid as other jazz/jag's I've played. Great guitar for the money and I'm considering buying one (or the TVL JM). I'd definitely switch the bridge on mine though but that's just me.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby Hobbes96 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:39 am

I wish they hadn't bumped the price up. At $450, you might as well put dope pickups and mastery into a vmjm.
We're on a road to nowhere. Come take a ride.
Hobbes96

committed
committed

Postby Hobbes96 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:39 am

I wish they hadn't bumped the price up. At $450, you might as well put dope pickups and mastery into a vmjm.
Hobbes96

committed
committed

Postby waltdogg » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:35 am

yeah. it was a lot more appealing at $350 new...
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:41 am

Don't get the particular neck and some of the fit+finish out of the VMJM, which also saw its price bumped.

Pickups and bridge are just fine on the thing as well.

But I don't buy into the cult of replacement pickups and the "Mastery or bust" that costs as much as the guitar.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Hobbes96 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:21 am

Maybe not a mastery but the vintage modified bridges are pure garbage, at least the ones I've play. Theres no way one of those would hold up on me live
Hobbes96

committed
committed

Postby infamousalien » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:09 pm

Didn't know about the price bump. Don't feel right paying over $400 for a Squire. Especially since I'd drop a new bridge and pick guard on it. Approaching $500 quickly there. You don't need a Mastery. There is a $20 Guitar Fetish bridge everyone is saying is a huge improvement. I personally prefer the Staytrem bridge my friend has on his AVRI for jazzmasters. A little cheaper than a Mastery and it rules.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:47 pm

VM bridges with loctite hold up just fine. No issues after several years with the Jag one I've abused.

The Mustang ones they shipped with on those initially were garbage but V2 appears alright from what I've seen.

90%+ of competent techs can't set up an offset to save their lives anyway, and selling parts is easy.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby resincum » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:18 am

rfurtkamp wrote:VM bridges with loctite hold up just fine. No issues after several years with the Jag one I've abused.

The Mustang ones they shipped with on those initially were garbage but V2 appears alright from what I've seen.

90%+ of competent techs can't set up an offset to save their lives anyway, and selling parts is easy.

is loctite to help with the bridge sinking? the screws keep going back into the bridge no matter how many times I set it up.. it buzzes as well. my only beef with the vmjm :cry:
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:26 am

Loctite will keep the bridge (it's screws, after all) from sinking, the saddles from sinking, etc.

Can help with the buzzing as well.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby weebles » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:33 am

So I'm trying to replace the bridge and trem on my JMJM because both are garbage.

I had planned on replacing the bridge with a StayTrem, but they've stopped producing the thimbles needed to make the bridge fit because fuck anyone with an adjustomatic bridge, that's why.

Anyway, I picked up the guitar for relatively cheap, so I'm not too concerned about price trying to find an AVRI tremolo replacement on ebay or reverb. But the bridge search is killing me. Anyone have experience with the Warmoth Modified Mustang Bridge? That's the latest one I'm scoping out after searching around the internet for a while.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby lokmund » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:29 am

The whole tread is full of praise, and then one weeble suddenly says the hw is garbarge. Personal opinion or has it been abused by a previous owner?
lokmund

interested
interested

Postby weebles » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:28 pm

To be clear - the guitar itself is great. Using the trem is impossible without immediately dropping every string almost a half step.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:29 pm

I abuse the living hell out of mine and it stays rock solid. Using boring ol' 10s.

Same as it was when I got it five years ago, everything is still stock.

I'd be looking at setup, strings, and eliminating every other issue before I threw the rest under the bus, particularly the TOM.

I have two units with a TOM and a JM/Jag trem - one has the domestic AVRI lock, one doesn't.

Both are stupid good at staying in tune, and the stock one on the Mascis does just a good a job as the AVRI one.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:29 pm

weebles wrote:So I'm trying to replace the bridge and trem on my JMJM because both are garbage.

I had planned on replacing the bridge with a StayTrem, but they've stopped producing the thimbles needed to make the bridge fit because fuck anyone with an adjustomatic bridge, that's why.

Anyway, I picked up the guitar for relatively cheap, so I'm not too concerned about price trying to find an AVRI tremolo replacement on ebay or reverb. But the bridge search is killing me. Anyone have experience with the Warmoth Modified Mustang Bridge? That's the latest one I'm scoping out after searching around the internet for a while.

Try a roller bridge?
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass