Best Jazzmaster Available Right NOW

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Best Jazzmaster Available Right NOW

Postby myrrh » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:51 am

AV65! No doubt. Have an Avri and the 65 is so much better.
myrrh

experienced
experienced

Postby Pop » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Welllllllllllll I could spend a grand or maybe a bit higher if I knew I was getting the top of the pops. I know the '65s are supposed to be immaculate, but keeryst... that's expensive.

I've owned the J Mascis Squier in the past, and it seems like that's the best deal for the price... great build, sound, etc. I'm not too picky about electronics and stuff, unless they cause major problems.

I did find that AVRI with Mastery bridge, Lollar pickups, and locking tuners already installed. I don't know if any of that stuff is NECESSARY, but they seem like worthy upgrades.

Thanks!
Pop

committed
committed

Postby SPACERITUAL » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:16 pm

I think you can still find a thinskin if you look hard enough. Those were about the closest youll get to an actual custom shop vintage reissue without shelling out waaay more. Finishes and electronics were done by the custom shop, too so its basically a teambuilt.

This is considering you want vintage specs though. I dont see why you wouldnt but there are people out there that dont. Like the guy from slipknot.
D.o.S. wrote:Yeah I have a Godsmack shirt

jwar wrote:Not to be a dick or anything but My Bloody Valentine sucks ass.

My whole life is a shitpost. One. Big. Shit. Post.
SPACERITUAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kosta » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:14 am

Shit man, I have a Jazzmaster that I love, and I have to keep talking myself off the ledge to keep from buying adrianlee's custom built one in the B/S/T right now. That thing haunts me!

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=49692

Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Hyphen Nation » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:21 am

kosta wrote:Shit man, I have a Jazzmaster that I love, and I have to keep talking myself off the ledge to keep from buying adrianlee's custom built one in the B/S/T right now. That thing haunts me!

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=49692

I have two, and I have to keep talking myself off of this one, and another on OSG right now...

I think I am with Kosta, you are going to get the best value, with all the upgrades you want, out of a home-brew from a trusted fellow forum-ite. Otherwise I think I might tell you to save even more, and hit that $1500 zone where you are either building your own, or scoring a Thin Skin...like this beauty: https://reverb.com/item/170299-fender-t ... jazzmaster
Hyphen Nation

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby colenboozey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Vintage Modified is a great pricepoint, but needs a bit of work out of the box.
HEY
colenboozey

involved
involved

Postby PetZounds » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:12 pm

VM JM with a mastery and maybeee some new pickups.
After adding a mastery and getting a decent setup, these play better than any of the lower-level fenders IMO.
PetZounds

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby repoman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:51 pm

I'd recommend definitely hunting for a VM JM in person, the VM Jag I bought online was poop.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby indianDYsummer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:50 pm

IMO, based on budget, I would get one of these (or the one shown above haha):

-squier JM JM or VM JM sub- $500
-classic lacquer 60s JM sub-$1000
-used custom shop JM / AV65 ($1000-$2500)
-vintage $2500+

I've owned two '62 AVRI JMs, a classic player, and I currently own a used custom shop '64 from 2014. I would go AV65 over '62 AVRI, but mostly due to the fatter neck profile, D&B neck, and I like the finish better.
indianDYsummer

committed
committed

Postby dotlikeimpact » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Just got a road worn. It's sick, and its lightweight, too. AV65 pickups. Swap out the bridge and the guard and you're good to go.
dotlikeimpact

committed
committed

Postby Chuckchuck » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:29 pm

repoman wrote:
chutneyfarmer wrote:The Troy Van Leeeeuleanogog one, or whatever his name is looks sweet. Also the Mascis squire is highly regarded.

This thing is so fucking sexy

I love that oxblood but 13 bills I'd rather build one.
The Squier Tele with Jazzmaster neck & P90 is sweet too. Not quite a JM.
Chuckchuck

experienced
experienced

Postby megamaeng » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Any updated opinions on this topic? I love my j mascis squier and want to step up to a nicer guitar. I'm afraid to mess with a good thing tho so am sticking with looking at jazzmasters for now. I have about max $1500 to spend.

It's interesting that you guys mention building one. Is it as simple as getting the parts and putting them together like a kit or are we talking about needing both guitar building and woodworking experience. Any good place to start researching if I want to go down this route? Specifically for jazzmasters?
megamaeng

committed
committed

Postby Hyphen Nation » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:29 pm

megamaeng wrote:Any updated opinions on this topic? I love my j mascis squier and want to step up to a nicer guitar. I'm afraid to mess with a good thing tho so am sticking with looking at jazzmasters for now. I have about max $1500 to spend.

It's interesting that you guys mention building one. Is it as simple as getting the parts and putting them together like a kit or are we talking about needing both guitar building and woodworking experience. Any good place to start researching if I want to go down this route? Specifically for jazzmasters?

I'd go hang out on offsetguitars.com. Tons of smart knowledgeable people, tons of threads to mine and research. $1500 will get you a pretty top shelf parts build. You can find a variation on on AVRI for $1500, if you hunt. There's even the occasional Kauer Arcturus that shows up used in that zone. This one is hard tail, but awesome: https://reverb.com/item/2570173-kauer-arcturus
Hyphen Nation

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby megamaeng » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:58 pm

Great, thanks for the tip. I'll def go there and research. As much as the idea of building one appeals to me, going the pre built route seems more reasonable right now. Who knows tho, maybe doing the research will change my mind.

The TVL looks really great but at that price I might try to be patient and hunt for an AVRI. That oxblood color tho.......
megamaeng

committed
committed

Postby popvulture » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:22 am

I just bought an AV65 thin skin and love it. The TVLs are also really killer--as far as bang for the buck, they're very, very impressive, I'd say fairly close to the 65s.

1500 can get you something awesome--as mentioned, maybe a used AV or a Thurston Moore, though the latter seem a bit hard to find these days.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass