Let's talk baritones.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Let's talk baritones.

Postby neonblack » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:08 pm

Lately I've been thinking of getting a baritone. I bought a Bass VI and it made me realize I can actually play guitar-type stuff pretty decently. I have a Les Paul tuned to C standard that is lots of fun but WAY too small.

The Squier baritone jazzmaster seems cool, but I think it's the same scale as a Bass VI. And I'm not sold on the Antigua. For that price, though, I might get it and refinish it.

I like the blacktop tele baritones too, but they're a little further out of my price range.

I've also been thinking of building one from parts. It would be my first build and it seems pretty rewarding. I just don't know how to do it on the cheap.

So, what do you look for in a baritone? I want some hot pickups. Dual humbuckers probably. I'm basically looking for a super thick tone with some high end clarity and plenty of mids. And it's mostly gonna be dirty, because there's no other way to play. And I play through a YBA-3 if that says anything about the tone I'm working with. Aggressive as fuck.

I'm primarily a Bass player so I don't know shit about guitar pickups.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Let's talk baritones.

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:27 pm

The blacktop bari tele is worth the money if you can swing it, really fine instrument. I also play an old danoelectro baritone that is the shit if you can find one at a good price let me know and I'll buy it if you dont want it. It's pups are low output though but very unique sound.

Edit: haha I just did a quick search for a vintage danelectro baritone and found they are making them as a reissue right now for 420$
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... Auii8P8HAQ
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Yeah I was going to say that I actually quite like single coils in baritones. I would suggest lace Alumitones. They are LOUD, but not gainy
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:26 pm

skullservant wrote:Yeah I was going to say that I actually quite like single coils in baritones. I would suggest lace Alumitones. They are LOUD, but not gainy

I want alumitones in everything.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bon Hoga » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:07 am

I wouldn't recommend humbuckers in a bari, they tend to get muddy. P 90s ftw. Another thing, anything with a scale length below 28" is just a guitar with a slightly longer neck, IMO. That said, buy a DC Kunkle conversion neck on Ebay, and slap it on a Squier Custom Tele II. Like this:

Bon Hoga

committed
committed

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:39 am

Blacktop Tele or Hagstrom Viking bari were my choices before Squier reissued the VI.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BoatRich » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:47 am

Disarm D'arcy wrote:Blacktop Tele or Hagstrom Viking bari were my choices before Squier reissued the VI.

I want a Hagstrom bari so bad... Or one of those 30" scale semi hollow Agiles set up as a VI
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:04 am

The lys flower on the headstock kept hurting my republican conscience, but Hags are great great great guitars!
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ChetMagongalo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:22 pm

I want a baritone too dude, definitely not a humbucker fan tho, esp on basses
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyfalconX/videos
rustywire wrote:Post your battle jacket of wrong bands

psychic vampire. wrote:I believe all authorities should be destroyed?
ChetMagongalo

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:15 pm

I had a gretsch junior jet bass with a single humbucker and it sounded pretty good. A little flabby on the e strong though.

I have a Les Paul with dual humbuckers and it sounds great but like I said I don't know shit about guitar pickups.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ChetMagongalo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:46 pm

in my experience lower output pickups means you can make your pedals and amps louder to compensate, and being able to turn your pedals and amps up is a good thing
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyfalconX/videos
rustywire wrote:Post your battle jacket of wrong bands

psychic vampire. wrote:I believe all authorities should be destroyed?
ChetMagongalo

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:27 pm

I can get behind that
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:41 pm

Why not just tune a bass VI bari? I've had a dano U2 bari that I've gone back and forth between the two tunings for years :idk: Personally I like 30" scale basis better them the shorter ones because your feel more bass like, and thy have a bit more clang and snarl to their sound.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby neonblack » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:Why not just tune a bass VI bari? I've had a dano U2 bari that I've gone back and forth between the two tunings for years :idk: Personally I like 30" scale basis better them the shorter ones because your feel more bass like, and thy have a bit more clang and snarl to their sound.

Isn't the Squier vm bari jazzmaster 30" scale? I do like the Bass VI scale...
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:07 am

my issue with it is it's one thing to put a bari neck on a normal guitar body to convert it but if I was going to actually spend money on something new I would want the neck pickup in the right place for the kinds of sounds you can only get with the neck pickup being in the right spot within the ratio of the string length.. putting a 24 fret SS bass neck on a guitar body put the neck pickup more in the middle spot, and that's fine as long as you like that sound and don't want of need that super buncy twangyness :omg:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass