Let's talk baritones.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's talk baritones.

Postby MrNovember » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:15 pm

Mine is A-A tuning. Jazzmaster body right now, but I'd like to pick up a Strat or a Tele instead
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby ognoy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:43 am

When I put on the DC-neck I only had to install a nut, tuners and some minor intonation adjustments on the bridge.
Didn't have to do anything with the truss rod. When I bought a Warmoth conversion neck a couple of years ago, a had to spend weeks getting the truss rod right.
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gnomethrone » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:17 am

My conversion was a 28.625" neck on a tele tuned to drop A. One thing I did in the planning stage was use a string tension calculator and look up the tension another guitar of mine was sitting at so I knew what I liked and what to shoot for. I think it was on the d'addario website? Then I ordered some custom sets of strings from kalium so that the tension would be nice and even all the way across. Made setup and intonation pretty simple since I didnt have to fight any rogue strings that didnt wanna get with the program. A friend helped me set it up but it went together really easy. These days im just tuning my 25.5" scale guitars to drop A with some fat strings and its working out fine (sorry for this blasphemy in the baritone thread :lol: ) The baritone definitely had its own character and sounded amazing.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PanicProne » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:38 am

Just throwing my baritone in here, a bit too late as per usual. This is jag-inspired (duh) baritone my friend/drummer of my old hardcore band built me a couple of years ago when he studied to become a luthier. Pic is the one he sent me when he'd just finished it. He'd worked with would before but considering he'd barely ever touched metals before I feel he did a pretty good job. Since it was part of his course I only had to pay for the material too! :D :animal:

It's got Seymour Duncan P-rails in it, which I wanted for versatility. I love how it feels and "resonates" (sorry, really don't know the fancy words here), but not sure if the pickups are the right ones or if I should just decide to go one way. My main problem with it, is using with my band, since it just cuts through and eats up everything, haha. Been trying it on around 5 different songs we're currently writing but only settled for one so far. But that may just be down to me to being used to "listening differently" as far as band mix/situation goes.

PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Postby repoman » Tue May 22, 2018 3:59 pm

This was the pink baritone telemaster/gold bariton JM, stripped it, painted it sunburst with scale model paints and a cheap airbrush.
waiting for alumitones

F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue May 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Dope! What scale ? What's your planned tuning and gauge? It looks good man
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:36 am

Dude. Siiiiiick DIY sunburst. Mad props!
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby dubkitty » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:59 pm

seriously.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby repoman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:31 pm

I had alumitones in it but the humbucker size pickguard I got (from GHS) was such a piece of shit that I went back to normal JM pickups and I don't feel like spending the 75 bucks for a custom guard.

BetterOffShred wrote:Dope! What scale ? What's your planned tuning and gauge? It looks good man

I think the neck is 28.75"
Its a really cheap Allparts neck but its really comfortable and the frets are pretty decent. The rosewood is really dark too which is cool.
It's in A, I bought a set of 7 string (ditch the high E) flatwounds for it a while ago because the set was only like 17 dollars, if you try to buy flatwounds marketed for baritones the cheapest set is like 65 bucks from what I've seen.

Also did this funky hack of combining some Mustang parts with a normal offset bridge so I don't have to pay for a Staytrem or Mastery. The high A, E and low A would always move on the saddle with the stock bridge, this has the inner 4 mustang saddles moved outward 1 position with normal serrated saddles in the middle where tension is higher and the strings don't move, makes the radius match much more than just having a Mustang bridge on.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Badass :)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:27 pm