Help Me find an interesting guitar!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Help Me find an interesting guitar!

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:51 am

So recently my home was broken into and my precious guitar a vintage Gibson RD did was stolen with many other things included. The good part is that I have home owners insurance and will get money back for it, but I don't want to get another Gibson RD because it depresses me to have got a second.
So now I've been searching for a jazzy and a part of me wants to save up for a vintage or get an old beat up one. The thing is that sucks is that vintage jazzys are pricey I mean the cheapest one locally is 2000, and the only other old ones are mij which I'm told don't even really compete with new ones. I just really like body and fret wear on my guitars, I don't care if they are relatively new just beat up a bit but none of that 5000 dollar relic bs .

Halp on pricing, history of reissues and vintage and everything in between.

Edit: I changed the name to reflect my want for any interesting guitars in the 1000 to 2000 price range.
Last edited by sergiomunoz74 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Re: Vintage Jazzy

Postby DarkAxel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:12 pm

a few days back i wandered here

http://www.grguitars.com/parts_5jag%20jaz%20mustang.htm

check out the awesome blue jazzmaster near the bottom... i think the price could be more more acceptable, it has SD Antiquities and looks just about wonderful :)
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:01 pm

That doesn't look bad at all I'm starting to realize that I don't care much about body wear but fretboard wear. I don't like gloss necks and super clean frets. Maybe I'll get a cheaper body with all the parts and just an old neck. For 1400 though I'm not that far from the 2000 dollar vintage although after getting a guitar stolen, I'm not sure if I should get only cheap disposable guitars.
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby skullservant » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:31 pm

You could always just sand down/ steel wool the neck on a new guitar to get the gloss off
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Thats a damn good plan, I'm not very tech savvy there are only 2 things to me sounds good and feels good. I have never had any preference on pick up or vibe or anything. I find gloss sucks when I play. Hopefully I can get some transportation so I can try guitars right now.
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby cheesecats » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:55 pm

you may want to try a thurston moore jazzmaster if you can find one to play. the neck and body finishes are not gloss. no tone control or rhythm circuit, but that hasn't been an issue for me.
cheesecats

experienced
experienced

Postby Greenfuz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:31 pm

fuck that get a ric for those prices
Greenfuz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:35 pm

I was looking at rics but I don't vibe with any of the guitar shapes, but I really fucking love there bass shapes I want tha tlarge wonky horn and it would be cool. I didn't know jazzys were so expensive but for real I just want an oddly shaped body.
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby Greenfuz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:04 am

get a rick 480?

Greenfuz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Holy Schnikes » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:14 am

First off, sorry to hear about your loss, that really blows! Stories like this make me regret all the gear pics I've posted over the years, almost like begging to get robbed.

skullservant wrote:You could always just sand down/ steel wool the neck on a new guitar to get the gloss off

I have a light relic CS Jazzy with a semi-gloss nitro finish, some checking and a really perfect worn in feel. Not beat, more like it was lovingly used.The best aspect is the neck tho. Fender hit it with the steel wool and Tru Oil finish and the feel of that neck has me wanting to do the same to every guitar I own, seriously contemplating. That's a great option.

The TM sig Jazzy is a good suggestion too. I had one years ago and the satin finish looks and feels great. Solid instrument for sure, comparable to an AVRI imo and still available here and there. I wasn't a fan of the Antiquity pickups they used, my only complaint. And the price could be better but that's true of all higher end Fenders/guitars.
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:33 am

Yeah dude it sucks, it's like they knew, they didn't take a lot of stuff but what they did take was of extreme value to me and very important. Can't do much now besides find a pawn shop and leave se fliers and hopefully it comes back at some point.
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:37 am

Either way I looked around and found a rickenbacker 480 on eBay for a good price and in Chicago. I was hoping that I could possibly haggle down the only thing is I've never played those guitars and don't know how the neck or anything feels I was tryin to look for specs and couldn't. I'll look harder though. I think today I'm going to go early morning to a guitar shop and find myself trying a bunch of new stuff.

I'm probably gonna do the steel wool thing to my head no matter what I get honestly.
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Re: Help Me find an interesting guitar!

Postby fishtankdork » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:30 pm

necks are kinda thick and the frets are close together. i'm more of a fender/ les paul neck kinda guy, my fingers feel cramped on my ric
-----------So LoNg AnD tHaNkS fOr AlL tHe FiSh----------
fishtankdork

experienced
experienced

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Well today I tried a bunch of guitar and spent a couple hours in Chicago music exchange. Honestly I honk I need time to mourn my guitar a bit because I seem so indifferent about every guitar I tried. I hope I'll feel better about the robbery, so I can get excited about picking up a new guitar. I tried a ric 480 and really didn't like the fretboard at all, gloss fretboard plus it's super tiny, the body was rad though.

Tried a jazzmaster, liked the body feel didn't think I vibe with traditional jazzmaster pickups. The only neck I like was one off of a 70s Gibson but I'm not big on les Paul shapes anymore.

I'm pretty sure my difficulty finding a guitar I like is because I'm still moody over my last gutar
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby Mudfuzz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:10 pm

:hug:

Have you looked at firebirds? or Fernandes Vertigos [necks are smoov and gibsony] and while you mourn your artist I think the firebird RD is one of the most interesting gibson ever... Older BC Riches are cool and interesting too... unlike a Jazzmaster which while a cool guitar inless modded up the butt in not interesting... anymore then a start, tele, pbass, jbass act.. or Les Pauls and 335s and SGs... all awesome but all not interesting as they have been around for ever.. but then in the end it's what you do with it that will always be more interesting :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass