Mailing a guitar or taking it on the plane.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Mailing a guitar or taking it on the plane.

Postby midi_in » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm going to be moving from Florida to Delaware in a few weeks and I was wondering what the best method is for gettin my bass guitar there. It's fairly thin and lightweight. Its about 42" long. It's vintage and very important to me('65 hagstrom I). I don't have a case for it, only a gigbag. I don't really want to bring it on the plain for fear of them putting it in cargo. And shipping it seem to be the answer. What should I do?

Should I remove the neck from the body and ship them separately? Ship it in one piece? should I just fly with it and hopefully it will fit in overhead and hope I wont be hassled by airline people? Any advice or personal experience would be mug appreciated!
midi_in

committed
committed

Re: Mailing a guitar or taking it on the plane.

Postby masked elwood » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:31 pm

all airlines treat you differently but in the states it's usually not a prob.
it would prolly be too large to fit in overhead (depending on the aircraft though).
you could ship the whole thing...or ship it taken apart to ease your mind of it being broken and it'll be a bit cheaper.

depending how much luggage you have, it may be cheaper to ship it. if you have to pay for a second checked bag then it'll be at least 50 bux.......and overweight charges are pricey too. be prepared for that.

if it's a solid body, i'd take the neck off.....pack the body in my suitcase surrounded by fresh fashion choices to keep it protected...then just carry the neck with me...that would be the easiest way. plus you'd have it with you.
masked elwood

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kosta » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:32 pm

I fly with guitars in gig bags all the time. Usually plenty of room in the overhead bins or sometimes the flight attendants will be awesome and offer to throw em in the closet for me. Have shipped em too and been ok. Neck on seems ok if it's packed well.

Edited to defer to Elwood who has waaaay more experience. :lol:
Last edited by kosta on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby midi_in » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:34 pm

I like the idea of that last part. Putting the body in the suit case and carrying the neck.
midi_in

committed
committed

Postby masked elwood » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:43 pm

kosta wrote:I fly with guitars in gig bags all the time. Usually plenty of room in the overhead bins or sometimes the flight attendants will be awesome and offer to throw em in the closet for me. Have shipped em too and been ok. Neck on seems ok if it's packed well.

Edited to defer to Elwood who has waaaay more experience. :lol:

but i have zero experience in traveling with a bass. ..... the size issue will make a diff.
with guitars it's never a prob......the hag is a bit smaller (for a bass) but still larger than a guitar. that's what would concern me.
fuk man.......i go through this shite constantly.
it's getting really tough to travel through europe with a cabin checked guitar for some reason.
they just made me check a guitar IN A GIG BAG last week. they assured me they would hand carry it and treat it nicely. they did....but i was freaking for the entire flight.
masked elwood

Supporter
Supporter

Postby symbolique » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:24 pm

The thought of a vintage guitar going into the sub-zero (?) temperatures of a plane's hold is scary. Charm the stewardess' for their locker.

I like the idea about removing the head and neck from the body to fit in a case, I take it that is post-mortem?
great trades with: Lintybits, smallsnd/bigsnd, bennybanana, julius_deane, bass_econo, rustywire, jbf3, Dandolin, goroth, devnulljp, Helter, Justinm1789, Inconuucl, NDominy, Uncle Grandfather
symbolique

Supporter
Supporter

Postby insubordination » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 pm

I've carried guitars onto planes a few times without incident, but they typically make you gate check it, so it goes under the plane, but is only out of your possession as long as you are in the air. If you beg and plead, they may let you stick it in the closet near the cockpit if you tell them it's worth a lot of money or something.
Good deals on ILF: too many to list, just ask!

http://difficult.band
http://missingskull.bandcamp.com
insubordination

Supporter
Supporter

Postby thezeng » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:45 pm

I've checked in a guitar from Japan to Indonesia to Australia
It was in a soft case, so i made a box and stuffed in bubble wrap and newspaper. It was all fine!
I must say I was a bit apprehensive to do so, but there was no other way.
thezeng

committed
committed

Postby MEC » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:50 pm

This may not be an option for you but it'd probably be just about the same amount of money($200-$300) to rent a car and drive to Delaware as it would be to fly.
Then you can bring whatever you want.

Added Bonus: Truckstop Hookers :joy: :omg: :!!!: :barf:
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby midi_in » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:46 pm

MiddleEarthCrisis wrote:This may not be an option for you but it'd probably be just about the same amount of money($200-$300) to rent a car and drive to Delaware as it would be to fly.
Then you can bring whatever you want.

Added Bonus: Truckstop Hookers :joy: :omg: :!!!: :barf:

That would be my first option but I have no credit card :(

A plane ticket to Delaware is 135. A bus is 200+. and a train is 200+. and both the train and the bus have hieght resrictions on baggage.

And truckstop hookers don't clean their vaginas. I'll pick me up a craigslist milf when I get there.
midi_in

committed
committed

Postby MEC » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Suit yourself. :idk:
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:21 am

call the airline and ask them directly.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Fuzzy Picklez » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:26 am

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:call the airline and ask them directly.

Isn't that like, cheating though?
:lol:
hbombgraphics wrote:paypal gift awakens a beast from underneath the earth that eats puppies
Fuzzy Picklez

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cheesecats » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:25 am

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:call the airline and ask them directly.

This is crucial. That said, a friend of mine bought a guitar in the States and took it on the plane back to Scotland, no problem. The BA cabin crews stowed it in the closets. He said it was a great experience--he felt like a rock star going through the airports.
cheesecats

experienced
experienced

Postby maz91379 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:13 am

Although i haven't taken a bass I'd say you could probably take it on like 90% if you don't have any other carry ons . Regional flights sometimes have you flying on tiny airplanes that dont have overhead space though. I'd call ahead and see what plane you are flying on and bullshit like a pro if you run into any problems. "So i do this all the time can't you just put it in the suit closet/ stroller closet thing if there isn't any room" I've gate-checked once or twice and they fucked up one of the locks on my case at a small regional airport and then were all like " Yeah we're not responsible"... So um make sure you are flying on a larger plane and you'll be fine.
IEatCats wrote: That dude needs a beard and a sad demeanor.
maz91379

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass