Build/Assemble Your Own Guitar?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Build/Assemble Your Own Guitar?

Postby JereFuzz » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:31 pm

Hi folks,

Who has built/assembled their own guitar? Are there any kits you'd recommend? What was your experience like? Pics would be nice, of course.

Regards,

JK
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Build/Assemble Your Own Guitar?

Postby Benn Roe » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:00 am

I'm working on my first, but for some reason I decided to start on hard mode and build my holy grail before trying a simple kit. It's slow-going. Right now I'm working out the wiring and finishing details, but all the major components have been bought. I've also been looking into kits for a friend, though, because he wants a cheap Les Paul in a colour Les Pauls never came in and it would be nice to have a friend building simultaneously so we can help each other out. Have you looked at byoguitar.com yet?
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby JereFuzz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:27 am

Benn Roe wrote:I'm working on my first, but for some reason I decided to start on hard mode and build my holy grail before trying a simple kit. It's slow-going. Right now I'm working out the wiring and finishing details, but all the major components have been bought. I've also been looking into kits for a friend, though, because he wants a cheap Les Paul in a colour Les Pauls never came in and it would be nice to have a friend building simultaneously so we can help each other out. Have you looked at byoguitar.com yet?

I’ve been looking at a bunch options but I’m about to pull the trigger on a Kiesel due to features/quality/customization ... I want to basically make (assemble ;) ) a super stat ... I just need to decide on a headstock decal ...
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:16 pm

I have put together a parts telemaster and I got the body from warmoth and the rest was sourced pretty locally. Except pickups.

I really want to build a cool strat or tele or something using cheap second hand parts, but I realized however I spin it it is likely to end up at the cost of just buying a guitar new. You might get more for the money as you put in some labor yourself, but it still adds up pretty much
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:23 pm

fcknoise wrote:I have put together a parts telemaster and I got the body from warmoth and the rest was sourced pretty locally. Except pickups.

I really want to build a cool strat or tele or something using cheap second hand parts, but I realized however I spin it it is likely to end up at the cost of just buying a guitar new. You might get more for the money as you put in some labor yourself, but it still adds up pretty much

True, but i think your Brain grows a bit when u engage in new activities such as assembling Guitars ...
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:17 pm

i built three Fenders--two Strats and a Tele--from Fender bodies and necks in the 00s and it was easy as pie. all you really need is a Philips screwdriver and a soldering iron. if you want to do the SuperStrat thing you can probably find a body with the "bathtub"/"swimming pool" route which basically removes the wood between the pickups. for that matter, it's not uncommon for Strat bodies that are built up with stock single-coil pickups are routed for HB/SC/HB when the pickguard is off. the nice thing about working with Fender parts is that you don't have to worry about the neck and body fitting well.

i also have two oddball guitars i built from parts bought on eBay, which were rather more fraught because i mis-matched the scale length on both of them. that's what i get for screwing random parts together. they wound up working after a lot of fiddling, but i highly recommend that you stick to parts made to standardized neck heel and pocket dimensions.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby repoman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:27 pm

I've assembled and painted a lot of partsasters, never built a neck or body though. Most involved stuff I've done is binding routing and installation, fret work. I do want to try making a Wandre style aluminum neck thing soon though.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby doommeow » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:16 pm

I've done a couple of partcasters and various other modjobs and will say this - fuck warmoth. Fuck them right in the ear. Every single experience I've had, whether ordering off the shelf parts or getting custom work done, has been hellish.

Spend your money elsewhere.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JereFuzz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:11 pm

doommeow wrote:I've done a couple of partcasters and various other modjobs and will say this - fuck warmoth. Fuck them right in the ear. Every single experience I've had, whether ordering off the shelf parts or getting custom work done, has been hellish.

Any brands you’d recommend instead? Alloy seems to have nice bodies ...
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Benn Roe » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:57 am

I actually mostly had a really great experience with Warmoth, and their customer service team has largely been really responsive. However... I went with a 2TEK bridge (which they exclusively distribute) and I bought a bridge plate that's specifically intended to fit that bridge in conjunction with a bridge humbucker on a tele, which is exactly what I'm doing with it. Unfortunately, the bridge plate doesn't fit the bridge pickup routing, and forces that pickup to sit at a weird angle, and the result of a lot of back-and-forth measuring and picture-taking (after I complained about it) was them effectively saying "well, we routed your body to Fender's specs, so I guess it's a bummer that 2TEK's bridge plates just don't fit the very thing they were designed to fit". Nothing but a big shrug of the shoulders from the exclusive distributor of this product.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby kosta » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:59 am

JereFuzz wrote:
doommeow wrote:I've done a couple of partcasters and various other modjobs and will say this - fuck warmoth. Fuck them right in the ear. Every single experience I've had, whether ordering off the shelf parts or getting custom work done, has been hellish.

Any brands you’d recommend instead? Alloy seems to have nice bodies ...

Bummer man. I've built a few guitars from Warmoth parts and have always had pretty good luck with them. For other brands, I've used Guitar Mill stuff and USA Custom Guitars stuff, and they've both been high quality.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paul_C » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:19 pm

I built my main guitar on a course - from scratch, so no pre-made body or neck, and later built a few guitars for sale, but gave it up and stuck to repairs as it was very hard to make any money from it.

I've also got a couple of basses I built for myself, with a couple more half built in my workshop.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:35 pm

Paul_C wrote:I built my main guitar on a course - from scratch, so no pre-made body or neck, and later built a few guitars for sale, but gave it up and stuck to repairs as it was very hard to make any money from it.

I've also got a couple of basses I built for myself, with a couple more half built in my workshop.

Sweet that u have the skills to make a full guitar. I am a guitar script kiddy :lol: ... only assembly and sanding/dieing (or learning how to do those things)
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Benn Roe wrote:I actually mostly had a really great experience with Warmoth, and their customer service team has largely been really responsive. However... I went with a 2TEK bridge (which they exclusively distribute) and I bought a bridge plate that's specifically intended to fit that bridge in conjunction with a bridge humbucker on a tele, which is exactly what I'm doing with it. Unfortunately, the bridge plate doesn't fit the bridge pickup routing, and forces that pickup to sit at a weird angle, and the result of a lot of back-and-forth measuring and picture-taking (after I complained about it) was them effectively saying "well, we routed your body to Fender's specs, so I guess it's a bummer that 2TEK's bridge plates just don't fit the very thing they were designed to fit". Nothing but a big shrug of the shoulders from the exclusive distributor of this product.

One bad experience shouldn’t define the company for u ... but I understand your frustration ...
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby drolo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:10 pm

I used to monitor ebay for parts to put guitars together, never really saw any kits that inspired any confidence regarding their quality. They may exist though. Since the hardware and especially the pickups are usually crap on these kits you will have to buy them separately anyway. I've had good luck with Squier necks which you can find for cheap. For bodies, the quality is less important. I tend to buy unfinished ones as I like to just stain and oil them. It's really fun to assemble guitars. I wish there were more oddball parts available easily (and cheaply)
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to Guitar and Bass