If you only have one pickup....



Moderators: PumpkinPieces, metalmariachi

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby Mudfuzz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:15 am

If I had to pick one.. Black winter. I have them in my sg and my sheraton 2, huge range, very clear and even, yes they 16k but that is why you have knobs on the guitar :idk:
The following poster actually hates fuzz and everything it stands for :)
Mudfuzz

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 15980
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Wefucked

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby weed_killer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:29 pm

I've only played with a vintage one, but if you want a hi-fi wide/clear sound a wide range will get you there.
weed_killer

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 7:03 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby PeteeBee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:38 am

weed_killer wrote:I've only played with a vintage one, but if you want a hi-fi wide/clear sound a wide range will get you there.


Hi-if, wide and clear sound definitely seems like what I want. I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on one. Maybe see about getting the switch for coil splitting swapped out for a tone knob. It'll be a real tight fit though...
Ugly Nora wrote:Ok thanks. I'll let my mom know I'm not coming over.


Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.
PeteeBee

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1773
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:36 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby rickenbastard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Custom Avedissian humbucker with coil tap. Tell him the tone and output you want and he'll make it happen.
rickenbastard

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:07 pm

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby sylnau » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:06 pm

Humbucker size P90 ?
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 9590
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm
Location: Quebec City

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby lefchr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:11 pm

sylnau wrote:Humbucker size P90 ?


That is what I would go with.
lefchr

involved
involved
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: CNY

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby Eivind August » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:10 am

... I feel bad for you son / I've got 99 problems but the pickup ain't one.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce? Get the fuck outta here.


WANT: LAL 87

Great dealings:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra
Eivind August

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 5153
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 12:23 pm
Location: Norway

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby blakestree » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:45 am

lefchr wrote:
sylnau wrote:Humbucker size P90 ?


That is what I would go with.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:36 pm
Location: Savannah, GA USA

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby PeteeBee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:41 am

blakestree wrote:
lefchr wrote:
sylnau wrote:Humbucker size P90 ?


That is what I would go with.


Well shoot. Three votes is pretty convincing. Any recommendations for specific ones?
Ugly Nora wrote:Ok thanks. I'll let my mom know I'm not coming over.


Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.
PeteeBee

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1773
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:36 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby waltdogg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:33 pm

start with a gibson p94 (bucker sized p90 a la gibson's take, keep in mind they practically invented the p90) and branch out from there?

the only thing i was ever gonna suggest was to just get a nice classic style pickup; p90 or paf with good alnico magnets. alnico is bright and cleans up very nicely compared to ceramic, especially with your science mother on the way. those amps love nice pickups and volume control manipulation.
no power lines. no telephone. leave me alone.
waltdogg

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2591
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 pm
Location: hell, ca

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:41 pm

waltdogg wrote:start with a gibson p94 (bucker sized p90 a la gibson's take, keep in mind they practically invented the p90) and branch out from there?

the only thing i was ever gonna suggest was to just get a nice classic style pickup; p90 or paf with good alnico magnets. alnico is bright and cleans up very nicely compared to ceramic, especially with your science mother on the way. those amps love nice pickups and volume control manipulation.


I've had a P94 for ever still have it in a drawer somewhere... it's a very dry sounding pickup, and is voiced twards mids

SD Phat cat is bigger and louder sounding, it'll do rounds with most buckers without the mid honkyness that most gibson style buckers have

Rio G Bastard is similar to the phat cat

:idk:
The following poster actually hates fuzz and everything it stands for :)
Mudfuzz

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 15980
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Wefucked

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby waltdogg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:46 pm

i feel most p90s are midrangy to some degree, kinda just depends on how much gain you use i've noticed.

i put some puh-fat cats in that ibanez jet king i put back together for my bandmate a while back. don't really have an opinion on their tone but they're definitely a good cheaper alternative to gibson or a boutique maker.

rio grande pickups are the shit.
no power lines. no telephone. leave me alone.
waltdogg

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2591
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 pm
Location: hell, ca

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby sylnau » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 pm

PeteeBee wrote:
blakestree wrote:
lefchr wrote:
sylnau wrote:Humbucker size P90 ?


That is what I would go with.


Well shoot. Three votes is pretty convincing. Any recommendations for specific ones?

Lollar
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 9590
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm
Location: Quebec City

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby lefchr » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:08 pm

https://www.manliusguitar.com/products/fat-goat-hb-p90

I have this. I love the sound nice and beefy, gritty, goes great with my fuzz pedals.
lefchr

involved
involved
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: CNY

Re: If you only have one pickup....

Postby blakestree » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:10 am

sylnau wrote:Lollar


:thumb:
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:36 pm
Location: Savannah, GA USA

PreviousNext

Return to Guitar and Bass



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.