CBGB wrote:Those Socialites are growing on me....
A couple of questions:
What woods do you use? Do you use reclaimed woods at all?
Also, are you able or willing to do custom projects? Imthinking e.g. longer-scale 24-fret neck, a baritone, that kind of thing.
For necks I use hard maple. I generally do either 2 or 3 piece necks and the grain is as close to quarter sawn as I can get it.
For the fingerboards I had been using Wenge because I like the darker color. The only problem I have found with it is that it has fairly large pores so when doing inlays it can be tricky to get everything clean.
The basses were the first instruments were I tried Padauk for fingerboards and I must say I LOVE it. I love the brick red color and it works really well.
For the "wings" of the bodies I usually use basswood because it is light weight and is strong enough to withstand the rigors of playing. On the shaded socialite pictured above I used Cherry for the body wings because it has more pronounced grain than basswood. The amber natural bass as pictured on my website has basswood wings and I think the grain came through well enough that unless someone wanted a different wood, I would just stick with that.
I don't really get into doing one-off things. I might end up, at some point, releasing baritone and 12-string versions of the coquette, Socialite, and Attache but until then I wouldn't build them.
My vision is keeping prices low. One of the ways that I am able to price my instruments so reasonably is that I jig up once. After I build all of the jigs then building multiple instruments is the easy part. Jigging up takes a LOT of time and work. So were I to go through the hassle to jig up to make one guitar I would have to charge the same amount that I would potentially be making to make as many guitars as I could make in that time.
I hope that makes sense. With the "plan 9" guitars that will be coming out late spring they are going to be somewhat modular in construction. So the Bodies and necks can be paired when an order for something comes in, and then I just have to attach the correct neck and drill the holes for the bridge in the right place.
On the current electrics it is unfortunately not nearly that simple. It would take a lot of pattern making, jigging, and design work to make changes like that.
that isn't to say that it won't happen though. Just not that this moment.