How do you launch a pedal?

Moderator: D-Rainger

Re: How do you launch a pedal?

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:44 pm

My offer to demo and send back the pedals still stands, even if I'm a little butthurt over you just ignoring my helpfulness. ;)
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 pm

You just want to jam on cool pedals for free you harlot.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Seance » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:09 pm

D-Rainger wrote:Thanks! Interesting stuff.... A tourbox is a weird idea, but maybe good...

It can be a more directed version of what forums provide (with a focus facilitated by the pedals from the tour box).

I first heard of Rainger FX in the Strictly Fuzz thread on TGP. People posted clips and talked about the Frankenstein
Fuzz. Then those who heard and liked the audio clips became intrigued by the write-ups are then bought the pedal
and posted clips and made their own write-ups about their personal experience with/thoughts about the pedal.

Many people are quite comfortable judging the merit of a pedal based on its description or photo online or by a demo
video. Such people are happy to buy something online that they haven't tried out in person (with the idea that they can
always return or flip pedals that don't work for them with their gear). I don't know the numbers, but I would assume that
there is still a fair number of older guitarists (dinosaurs?) who might be hesitant to purchase without testing out a pedal in person.

Forums can be a place where group-love of niche sound-generation devices can be oohed and aahed over and a feedback
loop of pedal-coveting can be mutually reinforced (Gear Acquisition Syndrome being most acute in the compressed atmosphere
within a specific and focused gear thread).

A tour box can just be a more focused and intent version of that "guitar-forum effect", but condensed within a small and
select group of people for whom "trying out" pedals is facilitated by the pedal maker. The fact that tour boxes are limited
(a closed group of maybe 8 to 10?) makes those who read about it GAS all the harder as the atmospheric peer/barometric
pressure mounts. People want to feel like they're a part of something. Sometimes feeling like you're been mildly excluded
just heightens your desire to join in and be a part of the gang.

And a tour box is a form of trust. It makes those who participate feel like they've gotten some "behind the scenes" look
at how the pedal maker works/makes/designs pedals, and heightens the GAS of those who follow the thread about the
tour box rabidly even though they feel a bit burned about being left out and "excluded" from participation.

I guess a tour box is sort of like direct advertising akin to Tupperware parties. It's by no means a necessity to rely on a
'tour box approach'. And I have no idea how effective they are for the maker and seller of the pedals.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:40 am

monkeydancer wrote:You just want to jam on cool pedals for free you harlot.

Borrowing the pedals is indeed my "payment" when doing demos for builders, and it is awesome. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D-Rainger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:00 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:My offer to demo and send back the pedals still stands, even if I'm a little butthurt over you just ignoring my helpfulness. ;)

Would you be up for demoing a Dwarf Bleep? I'm still waiting on boxes - but when they come in...??
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Whatever, man. I just like doing demos. :lol:

Edit: checked the sound clip on your site. That would be a lot of fun to demo, actually. :snax:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Rainger FX