chorus effect

Moderator: D-Rainger

chorus effect

Postby D-Rainger » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:54 am

I've been bugging myself about making some sort of modulation effect, and - as I've been dealing a lot with PT2399 chips recently, I thought I'd try a chorus with that.
So I've got this thing on a breadboard, a nice thick chorus - using two PT2399s.

I've never been keen on the 'small room' kind of sound you get from very very short delays that are modulating - I always want my sound to be right up close, in-your-face, with tons of attitude (and then you can add 'small room' later if you want to). So I've added a 'peak bypass' facility, that flashes to clean sound on the loudest parts of the note/chord, ie the attack, and the chorus effect swims in an instant later. The pick attack is the bit that makes any delay most noticeable...

It sounds good! It needs work on it - dry-to-wet balancing, sorting gain etc - hence no soundclips yet, but it does it!

So I don't actually own a chorus pedal. I've got tons of everything else, but no chorus. To be honest I'm not a big fan of the effect... Quite subtle, seems like it 'softens', it can make things a bit 80s, not a big Police fan...

But what do you think?
I can easily imagine myself using it.
Are there any other pedals that do this? Is it a good idea??
It'd have speed, depth, blend, peak bypass (possible to have it all chorus, no clean 'dip'). It'd be a minipedal, selling for maybe £79 ($120 USD)
Maybe it'd just have speed and peak bypass knobs, a hi/lo blend switch and an input pad switch.

I think I love less knobs.
Didn't the Boss Dimension C just have four switches on it? I think this circuit has some similarities...
I love the idea that someone has gone 'THIS is a good sound. And THIS one too. Now stop tweaking and go play something!'
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Re: chorus effect

Postby goroth » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:48 am

I always love your ideas!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:08 am

I like where this is heading.
I always want a tone control on a chorus pedal so I can roll off the clangy treble and just have the murky warble.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:19 am

yeah, this sounds interesting.

FWIW, I don't really like chorus either. The only kind of chorus I can generally tolerate is rotary chorus. Usually two knob chorus pedals sound best to me for this and Speed and Depth are all I need for that.

Not sure there's anything else out there like you're describing. Lots of new chorus pedals coming out though.

Yep, the Dimension C only has selector switches. I do sometimes like pedals with less control choices. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby neonblack » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:47 am

I like this idea a lot. I prefer Vibrato to chorus, but if you can blend out the clean signal then we're all good. I like the idea of the clean fading into the Vibrato as the note decays.

Would buy!
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:48 am

Oh also maybe a boost to counter any perceived volume drop
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D-Rainger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:11 am

Wow - thanks!
I carry on then!
Some good ideas there too.... :thumb:
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Another great idea! I'd like to hear what the attack threshold for chorusing sounds like in practice, it's a very interesting idea. Never heard of anything like it.

Generally, I like chorus pedals and want to get another. Favourite so far is the sea machine because it does lots, personally I like chorus to be cold and sound like the 80s, but I think there is room in my heart for a warm chorus too.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Return to Rainger FX