Name help please!

Moderator: D-Rainger

Re: Name help please!

Postby chuckjaywalk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:11 am

D-Rainger wrote:
chuckjaywalk wrote:Lamellae. It is what the teeth in a music box are called.

That's strange and interesting and got me thinking.... Music boxes are programmed. And they slow down without changing pitch. And they're nicely spooky - childish and sinister (great combination)....

A delay with increasing time between repeats? I have a weird thing for music boxes and delay pedals.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby phantasmagorovich » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:25 am

chuckjaywalk wrote:
D-Rainger wrote:
chuckjaywalk wrote:Lamellae. It is what the teeth in a music box are called.

That's strange and interesting and got me thinking.... Music boxes are programmed. And they slow down without changing pitch. And they're nicely spooky - childish and sinister (great combination)....

A delay with increasing time between repeats? I have a weird thing for music boxes and delay pedals.

This might be interesting. Especially if it can do fast enough repeats to go into flanger territory. So it could accelerate into flange and back into delay. Not so music box in such short delay settings but why shouldn't it be able to do both. Add an Igor as accelerator pedal, maybe?
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D-Rainger » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:40 am

The question is, does the pitch vary as the delay time changes? Music boxes don't. I've been checking out making a delay where the pitch doesn't change.... Can easily do it getting faster (take out bits of signal), but the slowing down - as you take your foot off Igor - is the tricky thing; putting sound back in... It may have to be a copy of other bits of the waveform, ie you'd be able to hear it as an 'artifact', a bit glitchy. I say that would be something to embrace though!!!

Meanwhile I've made the version where the pitch does change with delay speed! I'm picking up the boxes for the first batch today - and dropping them off for screenprinting! Igor changes the delay time, the amount of feedback, or is a 'send' control - like on a mixing desk... when you press it, those notes go spinning of into delay (oscillation) while you carry on playing dry. It's a mini-pedal, sounds really gorgeous!!!
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

(that's the maximum number of smilies I can get in a post, apparently)
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby chuckjaywalk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:45 am

D-Rainger wrote:The question is, does the pitch vary as the delay time changes? Music boxes don't. I've been checking out making a delay where the pitch doesn't change.... Can easily do it getting faster (take out bits of signal), but the slowing down - as you take your foot off Igor - is the tricky thing; putting sound back in... It may have to be a copy of other bits of the waveform, ie you'd be able to hear it as an 'artifact', a bit glitchy. I say that would be something to embrace though!!!

Meanwhile I've made the version where the pitch does change with delay speed! I'm picking up the boxes for the first batch today - and dropping them off for screenprinting! Igor changes the delay time, the amount of feedback, or is a 'send' control - like on a mixing desk... when you press it, those notes go spinning of into delay (oscillation) while you carry on playing dry. It's a mini-pedal, sounds really gorgeous!!!
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

I think the glitches would be a good thing.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby phantasmagorovich » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:00 am

chuckjaywalk wrote:
D-Rainger wrote:The question is, does the pitch vary as the delay time changes? Music boxes don't. I've been checking out making a delay where the pitch doesn't change.... Can easily do it getting faster (take out bits of signal), but the slowing down - as you take your foot off Igor - is the tricky thing; putting sound back in... It may have to be a copy of other bits of the waveform, ie you'd be able to hear it as an 'artifact', a bit glitchy. I say that would be something to embrace though!!!

Glitches are great, but easily overdone. wouldn't it be possible to just space the delay apart more? Like putting in silence?

And I think that the version where the pitch doesn't change is much more unique. I'd love to check that one out.
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby goroth » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:37 am

phantasmagorovich wrote:
chuckjaywalk wrote:
Glitches are great, but easily overdone.

Bro do you even ILF?
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby D-Rainger » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:53 am

phantasmagorovich wrote:
chuckjaywalk wrote:

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Glitches are great, but easily overdone. wouldn't it be possible to just space the delay apart more? Like putting in silence?

And I think that the version where the pitch doesn't change is much more unique. I'd love to check that one out.

But a long twang echoing away - no silences, then you speed up, removing parts of the signal - to keep pitch the same. That's OK. Then when you slow down again, just adding silences? Wouldn't you like it to 'go back to how it was originally'?
Otherwise, when it's been v fast, with only tiny snatches of sound quickly repeating, if you add silence to slow the repeats down, it's going to sound like..... mainly silence? :idk:
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby phantasmagorovich » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:49 pm

goroth wrote:
phantasmagorovich wrote:
chuckjaywalk wrote:
Glitches are great, but easily overdone.

Bro do you even ILF?

U kno I do!

Seriously though, I personally think that it's either embracing the glitch and building sth that is a glitcha-nanza in a box. And that would be fine. Or building something that does a different thing. All I'm saying is that my glitch is covered and personally I would be more interested in something that does a clean non-glitch thang I can play with.

D-Rainger wrote:But a long twang echoing away - no silences, then you speed up, removing parts of the signal - to keep pitch the same. That's OK. Then when you slow down again, just adding silences? Wouldn't you like it to 'go back to how it was originally'?
Otherwise, when it's been v fast, with only tiny snatches of sound quickly repeating, if you add silence to slow the repeats down, it's going to sound like..... mainly silence? :idk:

Not sure I'm understanding the first paragraph. But with the second I would basically say that yes it would if you went from very fast to slow or even very slow. But you would still have a rhythmic pattern and you could play along to that. If I imagine it it would be sort of like a loop where you can silence parts of what is stored moving from end point to start point. You should be able to play onto the loop again. And also move the end point farther back. So unlike with looping you could add to the total length if you want.
A different approach would be what I think you were saying in the first paragraph. Like a Loop that can be shortened to a stutter and then played in full again without any loss of fidelity. If this is the goal then it might be interesting to be able to move the "playback head" along what is recorded. That way it would be possible to do granular type of stuff and then "zoom out" to the full sample length again.

When talking about sounds I usually have the feeling that I can't make myself understood well enough to have people be as excited about what is in my head as I am. But I guess I'm saying that a hifi sort of sampler with some tricked out possibilities that aren't tailored to the "I loop chords and then solo" usage but to digital loop manipulation would be a great thing to have. Especially if it is not one of the glitchey sort.
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ThorZ » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:45 am

Did you decide on a name?
Im not back. Im just front
ThorZ

committed
committed

Postby D-Rainger » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:05 pm