Name help please!

Moderator: D-Rainger

Re: Name help please!

Postby D-Rainger » Wed May 27, 2015 4:43 pm

lordgalvar wrote:This pedal has me really excited. I remember reading elsewhere that the Igor can be subsituted for other CV sources, correct?

This thing can be as glitchy as you could imagine with different CV sources, I suppose. Also, controlled spikes of oscillation!

I've got to look into how it'd behave with CV..... Could be all kinds of weirdness available....

(Or nothing at all)
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby D-Rainger » Wed May 27, 2015 4:52 pm

monkeydancer wrote:This sounds amazing! I love the sound of high-pass filters on delays and reverbs, and having a cascade of delay that's only what you get when you press the switch and then it's dry again? That sounds incredible (I think I understood right?). This is super duper on my radar.

No ideas on a name unfortunately, just encouragement! :thumb:

Yes - what you're playing the moment you press gets sent to the delay, and that snapshot echoes away on its own (forevermore) while you carry on dry - like nothing ever happened.

I was once in a band with block-booked rehearsal rooms, and during a break I took a battery-powered delay pedal with my Boss Microamp - and put both in a jacket pocket, then connected a small mic and hid that under my lapel. Then went and ordered a cup of tea in the cafe ("...cup-cup-cup-of-of-of-tea-tea-tea-tea..." etc). Everything I said seemed INCREDIBLY profound that afternoon!!!!
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Wed May 27, 2015 5:08 pm

D-Rainger wrote:
Dandolin wrote:First--this sounds eleventy-one kinds of aws-sauce! [snippikins]

An Igor press sends to the delay circuit - but it's the nature of Igor that the press isn't 'hard-edged'.... It has the same attack as stamping down on an expression pedal.
Yes - with one repeat you could re-send in some sort of rhythm. You could actually use it as a looper - play something with Igor pressed, let that loop away, play dry over the top of it, maybe add another note to the echo.... But over about ten repeats the sound starts to change, gets interestingly melted... Then new repeats added to it would sound 'newer'. Also it isn't an amazingly long delay time. Did I say 600ms? Now I'm not sure if it'd be that much, but it'd be enough to be useful in songs (of varying speeds). Like I said, it's not meant to be a looper.

But right now, I'm dealing with all kinds of problems with it. I'll get there, but electronics is very unforgiving - until it suddenly works, and then it's a big rush :!!!: :!!!:
To tell the truth, I was never aware of the bass-cut aspect, just while I was working on this started wondering why it seemed to sound extra cool.... :cool:

'Dub Dwarf' is pretty neat....

BTW when this is out I gotta make baseplates to attach two RFX mini-pedals together.... Dwarf and a delay together side-by-side would be about as wide as a regular 'Boss' pedal (but of course no side sockets!). And the footswitches would be about 4cm apart! Easily switch them on together, and both with Igors. A little patch lead joining them.

It'd be possible to switch them individually if you weren't drunk.

Offer a wider spaced baseplate for when you were....

Or a small trained monkey to switch them individually for you.

Do you know Danny Gatton had a human being to turn his effects on and off for him?! (usually a leslie cabinet).

I'd have been quite happy doing that for him.

:joy: This is all so much win!

I understand your explanation of how the Igor/Repeat interaction would work (which I think is something of a minor miracle of caffeine and time zone differences), and the results would be ab fab. :love:

As to the rest, I leave it to you--I would defo. sign up for the baseplate to pair the two dwarves (Sneezey and Grumpy?). :yay:

I think we should all consider employment opportunities for trained monkeys in both designing individual effects and arranging/employing them during live performances. :animal:

I know what you mean about Danny G and his Leslie. My son used to love to come to coffehouse gigs with me and push the stomp switches at the appropriate (and sometimes surprising) times. I was strangely conflicted, because I thought maybe he was having more fun than I was...but double fun is also all win, all the time.

Thanks!!!!!!! :joy: :omg: :!!!: :omg: :joy:
Last edited by Dandolin on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed May 27, 2015 6:24 pm

D-Rainger wrote:
lordgalvar wrote:This pedal has me really excited. I remember reading elsewhere that the Igor can be subsituted for other CV sources, correct?

This thing can be as glitchy as you could imagine with different CV sources, I suppose. Also, controlled spikes of oscillation!

I've got to look into how it'd behave with CV..... Could be all kinds of weirdness available....

(Or nothing at all)

I just ran the goatkeeper's LFO out into my air space invader that I got today (Oh, many thanks for the fast shipping!) and it works just fine. Randomish chirps everywhere. If it works off the similar principles it should be just fine.

Air Space Invader is fun. The little distortion circuit sounds nice.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D-Rainger » Wed May 27, 2015 6:40 pm

Hey thanks - that's great!!!! I did make sure that one could work with CV too.... In a week or so there should be a 'synth' version - able to cope with hi level input and output, slightly straighter overdrive... See if anyone's into it. The CV does work backwards - but that just adds to the strange charm.
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 pm

D-Rainger wrote:
monkeydancer wrote:This sounds amazing! I love the sound of high-pass filters on delays and reverbs, and having a cascade of delay that's only what you get when you press the switch and then it's dry again? That sounds incredible (I think I understood right?). This is super duper on my radar.

No ideas on a name unfortunately, just encouragement! :thumb:

Yes - what you're playing the moment you press gets sent to the delay, and that snapshot echoes away on its own (forevermore) while you carry on dry - like nothing ever happened.

I was once in a band with block-booked rehearsal rooms, and during a break I took a battery-powered delay pedal with my Boss Microamp - and put both in a jacket pocket, then connected a small mic and hid that under my lapel. Then went and ordered a cup of tea in the cafe ("...cup-cup-cup-of-of-of-tea-tea-tea-tea..." etc). Everything I said seemed INCREDIBLY profound that afternoon!!!!

That is 100% a thing I want.

And that second thing :lol: that sounds like a fun afternoon!
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby phantasmagorovich » Sat May 30, 2015 11:50 am

Clone Gnome?
Dwarf Vertigo - because whenever you press the Igor it's like looking down a spiral staircase and, well, vertigo must start much closer to the ground for dwarves.

This sounds like excellent fun btw! Will it be finicky with input signals? I might be tempted to pick one up for vocals.
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Soooooooo how's this going?

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Yeah--get you anything? Cuppa? Soothing soundz machine? Solder?

:yay: :)*
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D-Rainger » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:24 pm

It's working well on the breadboard, and I'm just drawing up the PCB for the prototype, and getting the enclosure together (... something different!). It's all coming together :excellent:

On the other hand, my computer is all falling apart - which has held things up. :picard:
But who cares - computers are mere details, especially when you have a strange repetitive chirpy ambience in the background all day long!
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:31 pm

:lol: Everything's better with a strange repetitive chirpy ambience in the background all day long. :joy:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:26 pm

:!!!:

I'm pretty hyped for this!

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby eunoia » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:14 am

eunoia

interested
interested

Postby chuckjaywalk » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:21 am

Lamellae. It is what the teeth in a music box are called.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D-Rainger » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:07 am

chuckjaywalk wrote:Lamellae. It is what the teeth in a music box are called.

That's strange and interesting and got me thinking.... Music boxes are programmed. And they slow down without changing pitch. And they're nicely spooky - childish and sinister (great combination)....
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to Rainger FX