The Alternative NAMM Report; THE REAL TRUTH!

Moderator: D-Rainger

The Alternative NAMM Report; THE REAL TRUTH!

Postby D-Rainger » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:35 pm

ZVex were showing tons of one-off pedal designs, and had a set-up in their stand for keyboard players! A mini Korg synth going through a few choice boxes. Also ZVex branded hot dogs were pretty popular... Zachary took time to answer all technical questions I asked him, Andrew frequently directed dealers/distributors over to me. I regularly took my pedals out of my bag and spread them out over their counter! They didn't even complain once (unlike some other companies I visited).

Electro Harmonix seem to be releasing a new pedal every month; some amazing stuff, alot of it quite simple - but still good! Gave me lots of ideas.
Have you seen the RTG (random tone generator)? No input, just plug the output into your amp, adjust the speed and let it burble away.

Pigtronix had a mini range of bass pedals, all tweaked for bass, sounding great when played through by the likes of Doug Wimbish. Pigtronix' Dave Koltai explaining and demoing them in his clear and confident style, also added honestly "... and it says BASS on it - cos bass-players like that!". Their Infinity looper seemed to be acting as a pre-amp for all other pedals on their board, and sounded amazing and easy too. Their most popular item apparently.

The modular synth section of NAMM was just brilliant. I thought I was obsessed with LEDs - but these guys have a problem!
4ms modular synth (web).jpg

One module had a tiny little oscilloscope in it!!! (Not in the synth shown). 4ms confided that they're doing much better since they stopped doing pedals and do modules... which is interesting but kind of depressing!
BTW those modular guys are almost as friendly as ILFers... Have you checked out ILF equivalent, muffwiggler.com?

The food at NAMM was awful.
The equipment at every coffee stall seemed to break down as I joined the queue.
Anaheim itself is a grim wasteland of gas-station type grocery stores and Disney souvenir shops.
It takes about six minutes to cross a road on the way to the show (waiting for 'walk' signal, then crossing the 10 lanes...)

Sorry for late posting - I just got home from driving round LA music shops demoing Rainger FX stuff.

Hey - I went to an interesting star-gazing/telescope lens grinding evening too!
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Re: The Alternative NAMM Report; THE REAL TRUTH!

Postby aen » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey-o!
It was awesome to meet you there. I'll be in touch....
I also really wanted to go get my hands on the modular mega-booth, but I was pretty well stuck.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Nice report, David, thanks. That modular looks awesome.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby D-Rainger » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:05 pm

aen wrote:Hey-o!
It was awesome to meet you there. I'll be in touch....
I also really wanted to go get my hands on the modular mega-booth, but I was pretty well stuck.

And great to meet you too Aen and hear your wicked stuff! I seem to work alone alot of the time, so it was really encouraging to speak to a fellow builder... Worth putting up with my feelings of inadequacy!
I thought I had a hard time of it slogging round the place - but at least I could move about...
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:21 pm

That modular synth is crazy! Cool report, seems like it'd be a fun thing to visit.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Return to Rainger FX