Pretty Years

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

Re: Pretty Years

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:29 pm

vidret wrote:Yep, been doing that with the LFO out of my shapeshift mountain. Doesn't the protostar have notch though?

It does, but I've had a pretty hard time getting the Protostar to sound like much with the notch. In theory, it can do the same thing, but the PY seems better suited with the extra gain it has in addition to the resonance knob. :idk:

worra wrote:Ummmmm brb, going to pull the LFO from my Goatkeeper into the Pretty Years

I expect to see some nice Instagram videos in about 2 days! :thumb:
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby DavidRAZ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:43 am

Have anyone tried to put a Pretty Years right after a Cosmichorus v3 or a Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl? My CC v3 is making some high pitch whistles when I put it near my Pretty Years. Have anyone experienced something similar?
DavidRAZ

interested
interested

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:02 am

Has anyone tried the PY in a feedback loop? I tried it in a passive loop and got nothing and I don't have any pedals that can boost the signal without adding their own distinct character to the feedback.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby ritz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:31 am

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:Has anyone tried the PY in a feedback loop? I tried it in a passive loop and got nothing and I don't have any pedals that can boost the signal without adding their own distinct character to the feedback.

Seems... idk... unnecessary? It has it's own feedback capabilities. :idk:
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

multi_s wrote: i want something that gives my third eye a rim job.
ritz

experienced
experienced

Postby cantremember » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:00 pm

DavidRAZ wrote:Have anyone tried to put a Pretty Years right after a Cosmichorus v3 or a Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl? My CC v3 is making some high pitch whistles when I put it near my Pretty Years. Have anyone experienced something similar?

I just picked up a CC v3 and have noticed something similar but I didn't connect the dots between the CC and the pretty years. I do run my pretty years towards the end of my chain but It will usually go away after I bypass the CC a few times :idk:
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:11 pm

ritz wrote:
yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:Has anyone tried the PY in a feedback loop? I tried it in a passive loop and got nothing and I don't have any pedals that can boost the signal without adding their own distinct character to the feedback.

Seems... idk... unnecessary? It has it's own feedback capabilities. :idk:

Yeah, but the first filter is inserted after the 1st gain stage. Nit-picky, I know...
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby Eric! » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:44 pm

My feedback loop is disassembled (as I'm putting a delay in it). WILL TRY AND REPORT BACK.

But yeah the FM does neat floopy things.
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ritz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:55 pm

I heard you liked feedback loops so I put your feedback loop inside a feedback loop.

I'm curious to hear, for real
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

multi_s wrote: i want something that gives my third eye a rim job.
ritz

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:14 am

cantremember wrote:
DavidRAZ wrote:Have anyone tried to put a Pretty Years right after a Cosmichorus v3 or a Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl? My CC v3 is making some high pitch whistles when I put it near my Pretty Years. Have anyone experienced something similar?

I just picked up a CC v3 and have noticed something similar but I didn't connect the dots between the CC and the pretty years. I do run my pretty years towards the end of my chain but It will usually go away after I bypass the CC a few times :idk:

It is likely hetrodyning. This can happen with BBD based pedals, which are noisy as shit, and they are pretty heavily filtered, and have their PCBs very carefully designed to reduce the risk for such noise. I know Ryan spent a loooooong time working on getting the CCv3 as quiet as possible. I discovered the problem running it after my Randy's Revenge, I think. So basically there isn't a lot you can do, it's just two noisy pedals pissing each other off. Try putting them in a different order, or putting a buffered pedal between them.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby cantremember » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:03 pm

goroth wrote:
cantremember wrote:

It is likely hetrodyning. This can happen with BBD based pedals, which are noisy as shit, and they are pretty heavily filtered, and have their PCBs very carefully designed to reduce the risk for such noise. I know Ryan spent a loooooong time working on getting the CCv3 as quiet as possible. I discovered the problem running it after my Randy's Revenge, I think. So basically there isn't a lot you can do, it's just two noisy pedals pissing each other off. Try putting them in a different order, or putting a buffered pedal between them.

Yeah I just moved the CC to front of my chain and it seems to have fixed the issue, Thanks!
cantremember

Postby DavidRAZ » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:37 pm

cantremember wrote:
goroth wrote:
cantremember wrote:

Yeah I just moved the CC to front of my chain and it seems to have fixed the issue, Thanks!

So the CC to the front of the chain and the PY at the end?
DavidRAZ

interested
interested

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:41 pm

goroth wrote:
cantremember wrote:

yeah goroth is on the money. i imagine it's an issue with multiple pedals using voltage boosting chips, bbds, gain, etc. i spent a lot of time on the PCB design as well but at some point there's only so much one can do to get things working nicely off 9v.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cantremember » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:32 pm

DavidRAZ wrote:
cantremember wrote:
goroth wrote:
cantremember wrote:

So the CC to the front of the chain and the PY at the end?

I put my CC third in my chain after reverb and overdrive. I have my PY going into my looper and then the bitquest at the end of my chain. Moving them them apart seems to have helped with the noise or at least the noise coming off the CC.
cantremember

Postby resincum » Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 pm

this pedal makes me really, really happy. I'm kind of amazed by how happy it makes me :)

and the album is soooo goooooooooooooooooooooooood
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eric! » Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 pm

resincum wrote:this pedal makes me really, really happy. I'm kind of amazed by how happy it makes me :)

and the album is soooo goooooooooooooooooooooooood

That's really what this is all about. Self-fulfillment via audio manipulation. Brian is a saint.
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to smallsound/bigsound