· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
where pizza is king and pedals are princesses <smallsoundbigsound.com> <FB> <IG>
Post a reply

Re: Pretty Years

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:09 pm

Timv wrote:I just bought the pretty years that was on reverb. No, I didn't pay the $600 asking price.
I had one already from the second batch and sold it to fund something else. I missed it and want to go deeper into everything it can do.
My new one is a lower serial number as well so there is that.

Which means it's from the first batch, I guess. :idk: :lol: But lets not start another serial number debate, we've already had wars over this.

--ahem.

From what I've seen a lot of the people selling it generally throw their hands up that some of the settings don't "work", which is understandable I guess. Some people just want every setting of their pedal to be a "usable" tone, whatever the fuck that means. :lol:

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Yeah, serial number really doesn't matter. I didn't really play with my original one enough and am looking forward to figuring out more crazy settings.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Inconuucl wrote:
Timv wrote:I just bought the pretty years that was on reverb. No, I didn't pay the $600 asking price.
I had one already from the second batch and sold it to fund something else. I missed it and want to go deeper into everything it can do.
My new one is a lower serial number as well so there is that.

Which means it's from the first batch, I guess. :idk: :lol: But lets not start another serial number debate, we've already had wars over this.

--ahem.

From what I've seen a lot of the people selling it generally throw their hands up that some of the settings don't "work", which is understandable I guess. Some people just want every setting of their pedal to be a "usable" tone, whatever the fuck that means. :lol:

eh serial numbers won't make a difference in sound that's for certain.
which settings are they talking about i wonder? the included ones? i guess some of them might not be able to get the *exact* same sounds from the *exact* same settings but like... just find another setting. the pedal is obviously about exploring rather than just having one sweet sound that 2 knobs control.

"usable" - everyone's spectrum is different so whatever

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:50 pm

If it doesn't cause my speakers to explode and catch fire, I don't consider it usable.

edit:I hate cell phones.
Last edited by jrfox92 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:34 pm

oh well yeah with a low bias setting it will definitely drop in volume and fade back like a weird compressor. that's a thing.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:27 pm

A fucking cool thing, i love doing that.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:24 pm

I just put mine on the Arturia Drumbrute the other day. I love what the Pretty Years does. Such a wonderful homage to the Culture Vulture.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOv6YK1DLQW

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:00 pm

tommyharron wrote:I just put mine on the Arturia Drumbrute the other day. I love what the Pretty Years does. Such a wonderful homage to the Culture Vulture.

:love: Oh my god, that sound amazing.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:27 pm

vidret wrote:oh oh oh and that highpass filter with resonance set reaaaaal high, frequency set really low so it brings up the lower frequencies.

Medium clipping, most or medium bass cut, triode, try filter in different places.

Get's a real grindy dirty-clean tone. Use it before josh homme or trent reznor finds it.

I just got one over the holidays and yeah this.

Also I really like the same idea but with the bass cut off, pentode and the gain reasonably cranked. I run my baritone into that and play weird intervals with low notes and listen to them blossom and freak out. A flat 9 turns it into a tremolo, it's fucking rad.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:20 am

I received mine 2 days ago, and tried it finally yesterday evening around 1 and half hour.
First it took some time to me to get any sound out of it, but after some minutes I understood the purpose of each switch and impact they have.

It's a crazy pedal ! Kind of mix between my DBA Waverform Destroyer and Mantic Flex Pro abilities.
It will take some time to find "A" right usable setting, and another crazy settings accessible on stage easily.

Now I understand why there isn't so much videos of this pedal.
You can get so much out of it that you can't really decide what to demo.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:06 am

Inconuucl wrote:
tommyharron wrote:I just put mine on the Arturia Drumbrute the other day. I love what the Pretty Years does. Such a wonderful homage to the Culture Vulture.

:love: Oh my god, that sound amazing.

Thank you! It's a really expressive pedal. I love what it does on drums so far. Going to attach it to guitar and synths this week.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:47 am

Been playing with mine again 1 hour yesterday.
It's really impressive how you can sculpt sound from light to hard distortion then to fuzz territory.

Tweaking with filter, FM & bias results in really weird sounds.
Actually, it's the 1st time I can really get "dying amp" sounds out of a pedal.

When controlled, it can also be not so far from my other F*ck overdrive.
I think it can also nails most of the classic fuzz (Fuzztone, Tonebender, Fuzzrite).

I have only 1 drawback, don't know if anyone is getting this also.
There is always a high pitched buzz ringing through the pedal when on.
I'm using a Boss 9v 300ma power adapter.
Can it be a problem with tube or isolation ?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:26 am

augur44 wrote:There is always a high pitched buzz ringing through the pedal when on.

Definitely par for the course. I wouldn't say mine does always, but it emits a ringing sound often enough that I wouldn't be too worried about it! If it really bothers you and you've got a spare one-spot lying around you might try plugging it up to that and see if the ringing persists - 300mA should be plenty, but you never know.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:23 am

I'm pretty sure those are the tubes and that's just how the pedal is. Brian describes it as a "liftoff" sound in the Manuel. :idk: If it's bad you can always put it on a bypass loop.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:22 pm

augur44 wrote:
I have only 1 drawback, don't know if anyone is getting this also.
There is always a high pitched buzz ringing through the pedal when on.

Is the high pitched buzz happening all the time, or does the pedal just make that sound for a few seconds after you turn the pedal on/flip any of the switches?
Post a reply