Pretty Years

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

Re: Pretty Years

Postby augur44 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Just received paypal invoice for 2nd batch.
Brian should be able to send them so we get them before Christmas !
augur44

involved
involved

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:21 pm

BriBri: check PMzzzz
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:33 pm

augur44 wrote:Just received paypal invoice for 2nd batch.

totally! sorry i'm a little behind schedule though... lots of pedals to build and not enough paws. i was hoping they would already be shipping. i should know myself better by now! :lol:

UglyCasanova wrote:BriBri: check PMzzzz

:thumb:
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby augur44 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:36 am

No problem Brian.
It will be very nice under Christmas tree !
augur44

involved
involved

Postby Ev_O))) » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:37 pm

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:
augur44 wrote:Just received paypal invoice for 2nd batch.

totally! sorry i'm a little behind schedule though... lots of pedals to build and not enough paws. i was hoping they would already be shipping. i should know myself better by now! :lol:

:excellent: Awesome to know they are underway though, I'm so keen to get my hands on my PY :!!!:
I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:45 pm

pcbs are finished except for tubes and hardware so we're like 50% of the way there.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ev_O))) » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:06 pm

Hey Bri just wanted to check that you were sending the balance emails out a few at a time? Just cheking I haven't missed it if you sent them all out...

EDIT: IM A DICKHEAD, FOUND IT, MY OTHER EMAIL ACCOUNT, WHOOPS WOOOOO
I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby baremountain » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:44 pm

I had a brief instagram message exchange with Knobs after he posted a video with his Pretty Years and we swapped some CV ideas. If anyone else has the Twin Stags (or other devices with audio rate capable CV outs) I highly suggest you try hooking it up to the Pretty Years. With certain settings you can get some wicked drones - filter IV is the one I found that's the least intrusive/most musical, but modulating the filter at audio rate opens up a whole new world of mayhem.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby drmaxell » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:40 pm

Hey... any ideas on expression-type pedal that can use the CV in to do nice phat freq. sweeps? I tried my Mission Engineering SP-2 w/ and w/o an Expressionator.. It will do some mild sweeps of the freq. but not as phat as turning the knob. Dont know if its not enough voltage.... the pedal does 5 v and Brian mentions 9v in the manual... also, he says TS cable, is it OK to use TRS? Thx for any help!
drmaxell

interested
interested

Postby baremountain » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:49 pm

drmaxell wrote:Hey... any ideas on expression-type pedal that can use the CV in to do nice phat freq. sweeps? I tried my Mission Engineering SP-2 w/ and w/o an Expressionator.. It will do some mild sweeps of the freq. but not as phat as turning the knob. Dont know if its not enough voltage.... the pedal does 5 v and Brian mentions 9v in the manual... also, he says TS cable, is it OK to use TRS? Thx for any help!

You're going to need a CV source, rather than an expression source. Examples include the EHX 8-Step Program, a Dwarfcraft ARF/Twin Stags/Happiness, or a Co-Pilot Bandwidth/Broadband (I can't remember which does exp and which does CV). The first and last are capable of transforming expression input into CV output, but they also can generate their own CV in various waveshapes. The only caveat with the Dwarfcraft stuff is that it sends 12V, so you'll be getting full-on crazy sweeps every time, so having an 8-step to lower the overall range is very useful in my experience.
Alternatively if you've got Eurorack gear lying around with a CV out that also works.

TRS has always worked for me fwiw.

solo tunes:
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby drmaxell » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:14 pm

hey, baremountain,, yea I did use with the copilot Broadcast and got some crazy shit with that but again was 5v and didnt sweep as strong as I would like... any one in particular of the Dwarfcraft especially compatible and cool? I assume the 12v isnt a problem, tho Brian talked about 9v.... THX again
drmaxell

interested
interested

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:02 pm

I think the Source Audio expression pedal is active/sends CV as well.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Timv » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:56 pm

When I had my pretty years I used an ehx expression which does cv out also. I think it is only 5 v so you don't get the entire range but it was plenty for some fun.

Also used an arturia beatstep. It does up to 7 volts out and is a programmable sequencer up to 16 beats so can be interesting, you can find them cheap too .
Timv

interested
interested

Postby drmaxell » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:23 pm

Thx guys!! :snax:
drmaxell

interested
interested

Postby baremountain » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:45 am

drmaxell wrote:any one in particular of the Dwarfcraft especially compatible and cool?

All 3 of them output 12V, so any would work. It really depends on the type of sweeps you're going for though - the Happiness & Twin Stags are both triangle waves at heart, but can be made into sawtooth/ramp. The difference is you can get audio-rate LFO or a sweep that changes speed out of the Twin Stags or you can get a choppy 'sample & hold'/notched-type LFO out of the Happiness. The ARF will let you define your own attack & release time so you can really draw the shape you're trying to make. The ARF & Happiness are also filters themselves, but I have all 3 of them on my board with the Pretty Years & don't feel like anything's too redundant.

solo tunes:
associated acts:

baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to smallsound/bigsound