ss/bs Pedals and Buffers

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

ss/bs Pedals and Buffers

Postby chuckjaywalk » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:16 am

I am going to be using a ton of ss/bs pedals on my new board and I was wondering which ones can have a buffered (read Boss) pedal in front of them. I'd like to use an RV-3 before dirt, but I was curious if the Buzzz, TAFM, Fuck, or Fuck Mountain behave differently after a buffer.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: ss/bs Pedals and Buffers

Postby neonblack » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:35 am

Not in my experience. They all seem to be fine.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chuckjaywalk » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:44 am

neonblack wrote:Not in my experience. They all seem to be fine.

That's what I was hoping. I want to sandwich it like this: RV-2>Fuck Mountain>Fuck>TAFM>Buzzz>RV-3. I've had too many dirt pedals lose something when placed after a buffer.
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:55 am

I'm so jealous of that dirt section. Holy shit.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chuckjaywalk » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:04 am

neonblack wrote:I'm so jealous of that dirt section. Holy shit.

It was quite an investment, but I love ss/bs's ear and timbre so much that I think it was worth it. Honestly, those pedals, plus the Warped Vinyl Mk.II and Ibanez LF-7 will be my whole board, so it isn't too big a leap. I am replacing twice that many dirt pedals and they are all top-mounted jacks and conveniently powered. No more positive center stuff or battery only or pre-buffer only.
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kbit » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:31 am

TAFM has a buffer engaged with the circuit, so that will be fine. Fuck/mini has never been a problem for me post buffered pedals. I don't remember how the BUZZZ reacted to buffers but I don't remember any issues.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Casavettes » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:25 am

Used my RV3 before a TAFM before with cool results

Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Casavettes wrote:Used my RV3 before a TAFM before with cool results

yeah i was going to say that he should try the RV-3 earlier just for shits and giggles.

to the original question and echoing some others' statements - buffers and my pedals are cool together. no known issues. TAFM was the only weirdo up until i added the buffer to the circuit a few years ago.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:59 pm

This discussion makes me want an SS/BS reverb pedal.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:00 am

oldangelmidnight wrote:This discussion makes me want an SS/BS reverb pedal.

I don't know much about Mr SS/BS's background, but designing overdrive/fuzz pedals and designing reverbs are two very different things. To do a reverb as good as the current SS/BS pedals you'd need someone with a strong background in DSP and quite a bit of experience coding this kind of things...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Eivind August » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:35 am

If I'm not mistaken, Brian helped out on Fuzzrocious' reverb. So he's probably capable of making something.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby oscillateur » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:44 am

Well, a lot of the available reverb pedals are a bit lackluster I think, at least compared to models from TC, Eventide, Digitech. That's because these companies have a lot of DSP knowledge and can actually code their own reverb algorithms. And it's even better in software with people like Tom Erbe or Sean Costello (Valhalla DSP) who make awesome, useful and innovative reverbs.

But for pedals, it's almost always stuff based on spring reverb-type bricks (which can lead to interesting results as in the RM-1N but in that case the reverb is only a small part of the whole thing I think) or on the Spin FV-1. So, yeah, it can sound good but what you're paying for is more the stuff around the reverb than the reverb itself in a way. Strymon code their own stuff, because they have a background in that and have some skilled DSP engineers. I think Red Panda do their own stuff too (they started doing custom DSP modules for Line6 pedals) but beyond that I'm not sure...

If someone like Tom Erbe or Sean Costello made a "reverb++" pedal in collaboration with SS/BS for example, I would be more than interested though :).
But that's just wishful thinking...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Eivind August » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:45 pm

Ah, yeah, that's probably true. Not much of a reverb-guy myself, but that might be because of the lacklusterness you mention. Well, yeah, Brian, learn to code!

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby oscillateur » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:32 pm

I should probably not mention the Erbe-Verb to you then (Eurorack only, because of the CV modulations of everything)... :)
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Eivind August » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:33 pm

Eurorack is haunting me. :cry:

Deals:
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to smallsound/bigsound