cloudsleep delay

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

cloudsleep delay

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:20 pm

possible delay that i've been working on... i'll see if i can get the prototype finished by NAMM!

fully analog.

controls include:
knobs - gain, mix, volume, mod sensitivity, mod depth, photo-eye depth, filter mode (rotary)
joysticks - delay time/feedback, filter cutoff/resonance
toggles - gain position, filter position (not shown), photo-eye destination - i still need to work these out more
footswitches - oscillation, bypass

CV in - selectable for either cutoff or delay time?

what do you all think?
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: cloudsleep delay

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:30 pm

Whaaaat.

Features sound pretty great, I'd love to hear a demo! Personally, I'm not hugely into the joystick thing, BUT I bet for synth guys they would be absolutely killer.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:37 pm

monkeydancer wrote:Whaaaat.

Features sound pretty great, I'd love to hear a demo! Personally, I'm not hugely into the joystick thing, BUT I bet for synth guys they would be absolutely killer.

yeah i feel you. ideally, i would love to release a big XL version like this and a smaller footprint version that is pared-down. i could probably also easily swap the joysticks for a row of the 4 pots they are subbing for? :cool:

i guess from a feature standpoint, there's a lot going on and i was trying to simplify the interface. maybe that is a bad idea?
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:45 pm

I think the interface is pretty solid really, two footswitches, a bunch of pots, a switch and some joysticks? Nothing people can't cope with!

Where's the photo eye going to go? Can't see one in that proto, was it not built into that or is it hiding away somewhere?

Also, I think the XL/small version thing is maybe a decent idea. Possibly you could do it kinda like with the fuck? Release the normal then later release the small version with slightly different features if there's interest? I feel like there would definitely be a market for both, but :idk:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby intothegroove » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:51 pm

I love it! Excellent and very versatile, I will definitely grab one when they are ready :thumb:
intothegroove

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:52 pm

monkeydancer wrote:I think the interface is pretty solid really, two footswitches, a bunch of pots, a switch and some joysticks? Nothing people can't cope with!

Where's the photo eye going to go? Can't see one in that proto, was it not built into that or is it hiding away somewhere?

Also, I think the XL/small version thing is maybe a decent idea. Possibly you could do it kinda like with the fuck? Release the normal then later release the small version with slightly different features if there's interest? I feel like there would definitely be a market for both, but :idk:

photo-eye would probably go between the joysticks, though i still need to do some more testing.
yeah that's kind of what i was thinking with XL/small options - honestly, i think the market is definitely larger for a smaller unit... but i like this idea.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Doctor X » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:00 pm

photo-eye!

when using software, filter cutoff/res and delay time/feedbacks pairs for joysticks/xy pads are by far the best way to do them, but guitars use up too many hands!

i dont know if there is any practical/simple/affordable way to have a little remote joystick box attached by a midi cable or anything, that could be strapped to a mic stand or something

otherwise i'd say stick with the joysticks to keep the cutoff/res and time/feedback as pairs
Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:27 pm

Doctor X wrote:photo-eye!

when using software, filter cutoff/res and delay time/feedbacks pairs for joysticks/xy pads are by far the best way to do them, but guitars use up too many hands!

i dont know if there is any practical/simple/affordable way to have a little remote joystick box attached by a midi cable or anything, that could be strapped to a mic stand or something

otherwise i'd say stick with the joysticks to keep the cutoff/res and time/feedback as pairs

yeah i definitely got the idea from many years of using software-based stuff. :thumb:
it could be doable to make a remote joystick box i guess - regardless, that's a really neat idea!
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:43 pm

This looks amazing! I am definitely into buying one of these when they're ready! :thumb:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:50 pm

:!!!: :!!!: :!!!:
You will make everybody and nobody happy with this. Everybody will be excited that you're working on a weirdo delay but everyone will find something that's not their favorite.
I'm really excited about the joysticks but I couldn't care about the photo eye.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:21 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote::!!!: :!!!: :!!!:
You will make everybody and nobody happy with this. Everybody will be excited that you're working on a weirdo delay but everyone will find something that's not their favorite.

:lol: well, hopefully i make at least some people happy. the nice thing is that you don't have to use any of the modulation if you don't want to! ;)

the idea behind the combination modulation/photo-eye is to provide an interesting modulation source.
the main modulation will be envelope-controlled
the photo-eye with depth control would be a subtle to not-so-subtle random control

combined, i think they'll provide a really interesting texture that's pretty unique - random, yet controlled!
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:42 pm

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:
oldangelmidnight wrote::!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

:lol: well, hopefully i make at least some people happy. the nice thing is that you don't have to use any of the modulation if you don't want to! ;)

the idea behind the combination modulation/photo-eye is to provide an interesting modulation source.
the main modulation will be envelope-controlled
the photo-eye with depth control would be a subtle to not-so-subtle random control

combined, i think they'll provide a really interesting texture that's pretty unique - random, yet controlled!

That just sound delicious to me :snax:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Bellyheart » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:59 pm

I'll take the joysticks over the patch bay. I'm excited for new.
Bellyheart

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:18 pm

i'd love for there to be a joystick or knobs option. desktop use joysticks are sweet. joysticks getting bumped around by my feets and lugging a rig around are not.

CV ins could be badass too for the joystick desktop version... or maybe for both, moogers could mess w/ 'em...
:evil:
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:20 pm

How useable is a photo eye live, with variable lighting and what not?
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to smallsound/bigsound