Fuck doesn't like bright, should I Mini?

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

Fuck doesn't like bright, should I Mini?

Postby DarkAxel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Ok, Brian and the gang - please help :)

playing a fender-ish voiced EL84 amp, i discovered how much better I sound when i get brighter. Instead of just turning up the treble, i decided to turn it down a bit and us the bright switch instead - it's different, it's gives more presence or something like that

It helped with the sound clarity in rehearsals very much and i'm much happier with my sound... except it doesn't really work well with my Fuck OD :( it sounds like the Bright boosts some certain frequencies my Fuck doesn't like... I used to have my Cut on noon-2 o'clock, sounding wonderful, now it's down to 9 or 10 o'clock and it just sounds a bit shrill and gutless... And i feel like i can't get the right attack if i turn it down more

so I was wondering if it would work better with the Mini? If I could maybe get a bit more "round" sound with more bottom end while still getting the spanky attack i'm after.

I guess the Hi Cut works very differently than the Bass/Treble knob configuration, right? Brian? Does it sound like a solution?

I mean i'll obviously tweak some more, but I'm wondering if it isn't the time to switch
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Fuck doesn't like bright, should I Mini?

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:56 pm

hmm i would love to just take it back and mod it for you to get the sound you want but it would be tough for me to do without the amp in question. the mini *may* do what you want in this situation because of the extra bass and the bias control, especially if you're not using the crackle mode. if you are though, i could always mod your fuck to have that stuff?
maybe someone else with an EL84 amp could chime in?
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:55 pm

I've experienced the fuck to behave very differently with different amps, so with a frequency change like this, it's probably not a surprise :)

I don't use the crackle and i've always thought the Bias might work better for me :)

I'll tweak some more and give it some more time, but i'm kind of leaning towards the change :idk: any other comments are welcomed... thanks, Bri :)
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Doctor X » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:56 am

why change? get both is the answer :)
Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby Tristan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:58 am

I have a Mini but I'm not entirely sure whether it will deliver what you want, I'm selling it so if you like I can send it over to you so you can try it out and see whether it works for you, it will only cost you the price of shipping back and forth the pedal if you don't like it. :)
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkAxel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:35 am

Thanks, but i'm gonna try my best to make it work

i woke up this morning realizing i love that little bugger to bits, i love evrything about it (especially the custom finish) and i don't want it to go away :lol:

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:25 pm

turned down the Cut even a bit more, turned the treble on my amp down, bass a bit up and it's better... not as great as before, but BETTER

time will tell :) if i need something else, i'll definitely start with the Mini

sorry about the hassle, yo

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chillerthanmost » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:57 am

Turn the crackle on and setting down low. I noticed my Fuck put out more low end and thicker low mids with the crackle mode engaged. Without the crackle mode I usually feel its a bright pedal. I would usually keep the treble cut knob down at 9 o'clock or below, and that's even through some of my darker amps. But ever since setting the crackle on, even at lower settings, it brought out a nice little amount of darkness to the mix. I also keep the gain knob usually at 3 o'clock. Above that mine seems to pick up a hair of fizzyness.
chillerthanmost

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkAxel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:52 am

Hey, thanks for the tip :) will check it out

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fuzzypumpkins » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:45 am

I have the same issue with the bright switch on my DeVille. Engaging the bright switch makes my clean tone nice and pristine but most of my od's do not get along with it. Oddly enough the ones that do are the MXR classic od and classic distortion. All of my nice 'refined' expensive drives are already too detailed and bright and end up sounding thin and brittle with the bright switch.
My work-around for this has been keeping the switch turned off and adding a touch of brightness with an El Cap.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Great ILF transactions/deals with: Mordecainyc, Mauerkraut, Monkey Boy, oldangelmidnight
fuzzypumpkins

committed
committed

Postby DarkAxel » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm expecting a Mini any day now ;) so i'll report back soon

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:02 am

ALRIGHT

so

they ARE different... just the way the Gain knob changes everything... and i mean the Bias obviously has HUGE effect on the overall sound

you know what's funny though... even with the Treble on minimum it seems well bright :lol: BUT somehow the EQ and the Bias change the clipping in a way which is much more friendly with the presence of my amp, so it sounds quite divine :!!!:

also I think it might react better being fed by Fingerprint

that being said... it's bright, but GOOD BRIGHT :) definitely hope me and Monkeydancer are going to seal the "trade Fuck for a Mini" deal :)

edit: the Mini is now mine and after playing three rehearsals and a gig with it, it's the BOMB

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:24 pm

happy to hear that all went well!
still interesting to note about the brightness since i test stuff on my twin to make sure it isn't too harsh.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:30 pm

I still gotta do that Fuck v Mini Shootout. I'm thinking I might split my signal and do L Fuck and R Mini
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby amnesiac305 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 pm

skullservant wrote:I still gotta do that Fuck v Mini Shootout. I'm thinking I might split my signal and do L Fuck and R Mini

Gotta love an L Fuck
Excellent Transactions: monkeydancer, dorfmeister, Rygot, bronzetalon, PumpkinPieces, Wes Mantooth, Deltaphoenix, Blooghost, Fuzz_Pi, Neanderthal Head, lordgalvar
amnesiac305

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to smallsound/bigsound