fuck vs mini

Moderator: smallsnd/bigsnd

fuck vs mini

Postby goosekevin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:08 am

i got a fuck the other day and i really fuckin love it, way more than any od pedal i have ever tried
however
i have not bonded with the crackle side really, i cant figure out how to implement it into my playing
would anyone reccomend selling and buying a mini? or alternatively would anyone like to trade their mini for my fuck?
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Re: fuck vs mini

Postby hazelwould » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:28 pm

tomlane95 wrote:i got a fuck the other day and i really fuckin love it, way more than any od pedal i have ever tried
however
i have not bonded with the crackle side really, i cant figure out how to implement it into my playing
would anyone reccomend selling and buying a mini? or alternatively would anyone like to trade their mini for my fuck?

I would suggest the swap.

The bias allows you to get pretty ragged, and borderline crackly. But in a more controlled way.

I personally love the crackle, but less so as a momentary feature. I like it to be on and then set the threshold low so when I dig in hard it crackles.
hazelwould

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby stripes » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:46 pm

I have had a fuck for 6ish months, and I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that it has never been turned off. I recently just got a mini, and it's like a whole new world of sound, seriously. I find myself keeping the fuck as a light od/boost and using the mini really as a light fuzz, slightly crackly and cardboardy but with total tonal controllability (TTC).

I would say keep both because ss/bs is the best pedal company I've ever known, BUT if you don't use the crazy side of the fuck/are looking for something more intense than what the fuck can bring, I would go with the mini. But seriously they sound fantastic with each other, too. GOD..
stripes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Almonds » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:10 pm

tomlane95 wrote:i have not bonded with the crackle side really, i cant figure out how to implement it into my playing

I found this true for me as well. I got a mini and sold my fuck and have not regretted it at all.
When you're ready to come back down
I'll be waiting here
All your friends will be around
I promise I'll wait forever
Almonds

committed
committed

Postby electrical » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:17 am

Weighing in here... The standard Fuck Overdrive is great as a standalone, if-I-could-only-have-one-dirt-on-my-pedalboard-what-would-I-use? type pedal. Solid core tone, gets really rough and at 'em when you need it to in terms of gain but can also back off dynamically. I use the Mini's EQ section more as a tone sculpting option. Essentially, my Mountain Range is now my always on pedal (giving me a great thick edge-of-breakup tube amp tone), and I have the Mini set with full bias (as "clean" as possible) and the EQ set where I like it, and it gets pushed by the Mountain Range into full-on distortion. I also use the Mini with the TAFM to give it some more cut when I need it to.

If you only have one pedal, make it the Fuck. If you already have other dirt pedals, the MIni is a fine addition.

Right now, I'm running Mountain Range -> Mini -> Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine (then into my delays/verbs), but I wouldn't be complaining if I were only using Fuck OD and TAFM either.
electrical

committed
committed

Postby AngryGoldfish » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:16 pm

This is making the choice to buy a Mini as well as keeping a Fuck easier and easier. Fuck.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby myrrh » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Think Im also doing that soon....
myrrh

experienced
experienced

Postby goosekevin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:12 pm

i really want both
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:49 pm

i have a mini,
is the mini with the bias max clockwise the same basic drive sound as the fk? (apart from the crackle part)
the treble knob is the same?
and at what bass knob setting on the mini to match the fk bass level?
Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby kbit » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:31 pm

I believe the bias full cw is the standard and that the treble knob works the same.
Regarding the bass knob:

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:i added an extra knob to the mini-fuck! it's a bass control - basically i added a little (not much really) more bass to the overall circuit and added a bass cut knob. it is PRE-gain, so you do lose a little bit of the gain when you roll of bass (plenty of gain anyways so it doesn't really matter), but you can get treble boost like response out of the circuit now! yesssssss OR simply turn up the bass for a "standard" fuck.

Also, to those thinking of getting the mini because you don't use the crackle, my advice is to do it. The bias knob and bass knob really give you a wider range of sounds and all of them are sweet.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Don't even need
Still want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Achtane wrote:Don't even need

You don't know that.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:03 am

kbithecrowing wrote:Also, to those thinking of getting the mini because you don't use the crackle, my advice is to do it. The bias knob and bass knob really give you a wider range of sounds and all of them are sweet.

what about the other way around? if you have a mini and think about getting the fk as well?

i like trimming back the bass knob and dialing back the bias a little to make it more juicy, so is it worth getting a fk for the crackle?
i already have a variety of other ODs and end up rotating them rather than having 10 plugged in at once

... i'm pretty sure i'll get one anyway.... i just have to know what it sounds like
Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Doctor X wrote:i have a mini,
is the mini with the bias max clockwise the same basic drive sound as the fk? (apart from the crackle part)
the treble knob is the same?
and at what bass knob setting on the mini to match the fk bass level?

kb touched on this, but the setting where the mini will match the fuck the most:
bias around 2 o'clock and bass around 3 o'clock.
treble, gain and volume are all the same.

there will be very slight variations from the range of sweep on the bias knob since i set each one up by hand with a two step process - first with a multimeter, then by ear.

the mini has a tad bit more bass than the fuck. adding the bass control to the fuck messes with the crackle control more than i'd like which is why i have chosen to omit it. they've obviously the same pedal at the core, but i think they're capable of pretty different things.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Casavettes » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 pm

I plugged into the mini tonight at practice
And I love it. Love it!

This is a great introduction into smallsound for me :joy:
Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next