The Depths

Moderator: earthdevice

Re: The Depths

Postby Eric! » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Got a chance to play one yesterday. Veeery unique, but it seems like no matter how I tweak it, the waveform just seemed ..too short. Otherwise, the throbbiness is teh tasties!
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:47 pm

The same thing I thought from the clips I heard, too square wavy or something I guess.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby AngryGoldfish » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:01 pm

I have a similar problem with my Mojo Hand FX Villanova Vibe. The throb just doesn't sound that good to me. I was hoping this would fit the bill better.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby earthdevice » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Eric! wrote:Got a chance to play one yesterday. Veeery unique, but it seems like no matter how I tweak it, the waveform just seemed ..too short. Otherwise, the throbbiness is teh tasties!

What do you mean too short? As in, too short for what?
Dream Maker
earthdevice

committed
committed

Postby earthdevice » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Tristan wrote:The same thing I thought from the clips I heard, too square wavy or something I guess.

Can't base everything off of clips, there is no square wave in the depths, just a higher peak at max intensity.
Dream Maker
earthdevice

committed
committed

Postby AngryGoldfish » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:59 am

Maybe they mean it's not sweeping naturally enough? The Villanova I have is like that, if I'm understanding them right. The peak of the sweep is not very pleasing to my ears—though I can't hear that same problem with The Depths myself. It doesn't seem to swish and swirl like I was hoping. I'll be trying The Depths when I can and sell the one I like the least. I also want to try the (super) expensive Dry Bell Vibe Machine.

AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby devideva » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:25 pm

I love the EQD overdrives I have, but the Sea Machine sounds digital. I am imagining that the Depths also sounds digital and I am betting that it's the digital quality that people are objecting to.
...or something...
devideva

committed
committed

Postby Tristan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:35 pm

Is that The Depths thingy digital, I don't think so?
I wasn't saying it's got a square wave or anything, it just sounds a bit like that to me in the clips I heard so far, a bit too much of a on and off kinda thing on the LFO, it doesn't seem the have the (slightly asymmetrical) throb like most other vibes do.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby AngryGoldfish » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Tristan wrote:Is that The Depths thingy digital, I don't think so?
I wasn't saying it's got a square wave or anything, it just sounds a bit like that to me in the clips I heard so far, a bit too much of a on and off kinda thing on the LFO, it doesn't seem the have the (slightly asymmetrical) throb like most other vibes do.

Yeah, this is exactly the problem I personally have with the MojoHand FX Villanova vibe. I wouldn't call it a problem. It's just not what I had in mind when I bought the pedal. I was looking for a compact vibe that had the chewy, syrupy characteristics of traditional vibes but with modern appointments, such as the mix knob on the Villanva or the 'throb' on the EQD, and reliability. But I was definitely disappointed, and still am, with the MojoHand pedal. I'm still really keen on checking this out though. The 'throb' and 'voice' knobs sound excellent. Plus it looks better than the Villanova.

I don't find EQD's modulation pedals to sound digital. If they do it's on purpose. I imagine The Depths is analog.

AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Wood Wizard » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:39 pm

I really would like to try one as well. ANy info on release?
I make guitars and stuff, check it out at...

THE WOOD WIZARD

:doom:
The Wood Wizard

experienced
experienced

Postby Eric! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Yeah, it's not as smooth as I'd like. The waveform is too jagged. But maybe that's just me.
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eric! » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 pm

It definitely does NOT sound digital at all.
Eric!

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby earthdevice » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:10 pm

The depths is 100% analog and it's available now. Check out our dealers page for one near you. Just to be clear, noon back on the intensity is smooth, above noon is where it breaks from tradition and gets more sharp. A traditional vintage univibe is not smooth on all settings either. If you buy one, the manual explains how to dial in a setting that matches my original univibe.
Dream Maker
earthdevice

committed
committed

Postby nohaybanda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:12 pm

I just got The Depths, great pedal but I have an issue with it :
when the intensity is past 3 o' clock and when I turn down the rate (9-10 o'clock) the vibe sound of the pedal disappears ! i have to turn up the rate ( noon-1 o'clock ) for the vibe effect to work again. anyone else has experienced this ? this doesn't look normal to me. I'm thinking of returning it.
nohaybanda

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby nohaybanda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:36 pm

so i emailed EQD and they say it's normal:
Yes, when the intensity and voice are maxed and the rate is low the lfo shuts down. The intensity isn't anymore extreme all the way up than it is around 2 or 3 but it just keeps the light from flashing. It's an anomaly of the led/ldr system we are using.
nohaybanda

uncommitted
uncommitted

PreviousNext

Return to EarthQuaker Devices