The Hoof - info and comparison

Moderator: earthdevice

The Hoof - info and comparison

Postby CORVO78 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:01 am

Hell--OOOO
Could you explain me the differences betweeen Tone Reaper and Hoof in terms of tone and use?
Is The Hoof noisy?
CORVO78

interested
interested

Re: The Hoof - info and comparison

Postby devnulljp » Tue May 18, 2010 1:12 am

Hoof's a Big Muff
Tone Reaper's a MkIII Tone Bender
None of the Hoofs I've had (quite a few) have been excessively noisy.

Clips: Hoof
Tone Reaper
Good deals done with all these guys
Canada, we put the "u" in satire
devnulljp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby earthdevice » Tue May 18, 2010 8:23 am

CORVO78 wrote:Hell--OOOO
Could you explain me the differences betweeen Tone Reaper and Hoof in terms of tone and use?
Is The Hoof noisy?

The Tone Reaper is more of a raw fuzz sound, the Hoof is more smooth, articulate and a heavier. The Hoof has almost zero noise unless you crank the volume, even then the noise is minimal for a fuzz.
Dream Maker
earthdevice

committed
committed

Postby ToddHoodie » Mon May 24, 2010 11:23 am

Hello Everyone! So, I questions for all of you EQD players out there.

I'm trying to get a certain fuzz tone. Very much like Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys. I just love thick rich Fuzz.

I have a Russian Big Muff and a Little Big Muff. And they're close, but not exactly what I want. I'm considering buying the Hoof Fuzz. But, i have no way to test it out before buying. What do you recommend?

Everything i've read sounds like it's the right one, But all the demos never do it for me. usually people are playing them through Fender guitars or they don't have their tone set like I do on my gibsons. So, it's frustrating.

How would you guys Rate the Hoof Compared to what Fuzz pedals I have now, Am I just missing something?

Also, does anyone use different fuzz pedals together? I have a hard time using any other overdrive or fuzz that is on my pedals board if it comes after my fuzz . Should I be spacing them out more?

Thanks!!!!
ToddHoodie

interested
interested

Postby devnulljp » Mon May 24, 2010 1:54 pm

ToddHoodie wrote:Hello Everyone! So, I questions for all of you EQD players out there.

I'm trying to get a certain fuzz tone. Very much like Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys. I just love thick rich Fuzz.

I have a Russian Big Muff and a Little Big Muff. And they're close, but not exactly what I want. I'm considering buying the Hoof Fuzz. But, i have no way to test it out before buying. What do you recommend?

Everything i've read sounds like it's the right one, But all the demos never do it for me. usually people are playing them through Fender guitars or they don't have their tone set like I do on my gibsons. So, it's frustrating.

How would you guys Rate the Hoof Compared to what Fuzz pedals I have now, Am I just missing something?

Also, does anyone use different fuzz pedals together? I have a hard time using any other overdrive or fuzz that is on my pedals board if it comes after my fuzz . Should I be spacing them out more?

Thanks!!!!
Well Dan Auerbach uses a lot of different fuzz tones, so can you be more specific? Thickfreakness has a lot of Soulbender on it, which is a TB MkIII circuit (kinda like the Tone Reaper). Honestly, the Hoof wipes the floor with the muffs that you have. I'd sell both of them and get a Hoof in a heartbeat, but be prepared to get something else too for more variety (unless you're collecting, there's not much point in having 3 muffs on your board).

Are the ODs you're using buffered? That makes a difference with a lot of fuzzes too.
devnulljp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ToddHoodie » Tue May 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Well Dan Auerbach uses a lot of different fuzz tones, so can you be more specific? Thickfreakness has a lot of Soulbender on it, which is a TB MkIII circuit (kinda like the Tone Reaper). Honestly, the Hoof wipes the floor with the muffs that you have. I'd sell both of them and get a Hoof in a heartbeat, but be prepared to get something else too for more variety (unless you're collecting, there's not much point in having 3 muffs on your board).

Are the ODs you're using buffered? That makes a difference with a lot of fuzzes too.

I love the Thickfreakness tone, that is what originally got me into TBK. It was dead on how i wanted my guitar to sound. If the Tone Reaper can do that, i'll have to pick one of those up. The Hoof seems like a great pedal, i'd probably get rid of the little big muff if I got the hoof. Thanks for all the info. you were really helpful.

I'm not sure if my OD is buffered. I'm using a Vox Valve-o-Tone It's pretty sweet. It seems like if that is running directly after the fuzz when i click it on, it cuts the fuzz in half and mutes it.

Thanks
ToddHoodie

interested
interested

Postby devnulljp » Tue May 25, 2010 5:35 pm

ToddHoodie wrote:I'm not sure if my OD is buffered. I'm using a Vox Valve-o-Tone It's pretty sweet. It seems like if that is running directly after the fuzz when i click it on, it cuts the fuzz in half and mutes it.
Thanks
I'm pretty sure that's buffered -- it's essentially a TS808 right?

FWIW, the Tone Reaper doesn't sound identical to the Soulbender although they're both based on the MkIII. I found the TR to be sweeter, more like a classic MkIII, where the Soulbender is a rawer kinda sound. Try one though and see what you think. It's the right ballpark.

EDIT: One thing: muff is massively mid-scooped, while the tubescreamer has a mid hump. Kinda wonder if they're not just cancelling each other out :?:
devnulljp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ToddHoodie » Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 pm

I'm pretty sure that's buffered -- it's essentially a TS808 right?

FWIW, the Tone Reaper doesn't sound identical to the Soulbender although they're both based on the MkIII. I found the TR to be sweeter, more like a classic MkIII, where the Soulbender is a rawer kinda sound. Try one though and see what you think. It's the right ballpark.
EDIT: One thing: muff is massively mid-scooped, while the tubescreamer has a mid hump. Kinda wonder if they're not just cancelling each other out :?:

Thanks for all your help, I think i'm going to pick up a Tone Reaper off ebay, they have them new for $145 pretty good deal. I watched some you tube videos, it seems like it is what i'm looking for.

My biggest complaint about my Electro harmonix fuzz pedals is they aren't loud enough. I mean, i can crank my amp all day, but when i step on a fuz, I want to hear a significant volume boost over my clean tone. I don't just want the fuzz tone added. I want loudness!!!

Does anyone else have any suggestions of sweet EQD pedals I should check out? i love tremelo and fuzz and nice warm reverb. I dig classic bluesy sounds. Thanks everyone for your help.
ToddHoodie

interested
interested

Postby devnulljp » Thu May 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Big Muff should be plenty loud.
Get a real one not a RI -- there's a night and day difference.
If you want loud and rude, Elka Dizzy Tone -- sounds like a rusty chainsaw chewing off your face (best pedal description ever), or Big Muff only better? Buzzaround. Plenty of clones flying around now. Ibanez Standard Fuzz is also loud proud and awesome.
Hoof should be loud.
devnulljp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby earthdevice » Thu May 27, 2010 8:40 pm

The Hoof has a decent amount of output, unity is between about 10-11 O'Clock.
Dream Maker
earthdevice

committed
committed

Return to EarthQuaker Devices