Fix'd Fuzz Noob Question

Moderator: blackout_kyle

Fix'd Fuzz Noob Question

Postby lost in music » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Okay, I don't really get down into the nitty-gritty of circuits much and I don't know a shit-ton about historical fuzzes.

I know enough to know that the Musket side of my twosome is based on a muff, although it's obviously more versatile and I like it a lot better than the other muff I had.

Is the Fix'd Fuzz similarly based on an older circuit(s)? Or is it sui generis?
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Re: Fix'd Fuzz Noob Question

Postby Clean Channel » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:39 pm

I saw this posted somewhere else a while back, and saved it for future reference. Not my info, but I'm quite sure it's pretty accurate.
I've read the Bazz Fuzz elsewhere as well, so almost positive that's right.

...the Fix'd Fuzz schematic there are 4 distinct stages - a standard boost transistor stage - as is seen in the first stage of the Big Muff or in the old Electro Harmonix LPB-1. The second stage "Fuzz 1" is the old DIY classic Hemmo's Bazz Fuss. The third stage "Fuzz 2" is a strangely mis-biased fuzz face circuit. The final stage is a tone control comprised of a Big Muff Pi filter and gain recovery stage.

In passing I'll add that the Twosome is one of my all-time favorite pedals, and I've actually owned several iterations of it (dual fuzz, VSTwosome, SSTwosome). Both sides of the pedal are just killer in every way!

It was my love of the Twosome that made me hunt down the one and only top-mounted Twosome they ever made. Currently on my board and never NEVER going anywhere!

Current board: (the Farndurk is changing to The Elements + The Heisenberg as soon as my Heisenberg arrives in the mail...!)
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lost in music » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:29 am

Cool,thanks!
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby Jero » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:25 am

The italicized information posted above is correct
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blakestree » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:37 am

Clean Channel wrote:
It was my love of the Twosome that made me hunt down the one and only top-mounted Twosome they ever made.

:eek: :drool: :love:
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby blackout_kyle » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:23 pm

Clean Channel's info is spot on. :group:

The Fix'ds magic is in the simplicity of its familiar modules, but then having the flexibility of its many options when combining them. It was my first design, which launched Blackout. Back when it was just me and still working a day job. It's not likely something we would design these days, but that comes with learning a lot from then to now. It still rules though and on a personal level it's a proud memory unleashing that thing on the world.

Have you guys seen that show Drunk History? This is like that.
blackout_kyle

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:56 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby hbombgraphics » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:31 pm

blackout_kyle wrote:Clean Channel's info is spot on. :group:

The Fix'ds magic is in the simplicity of its familiar modules, but then having the flexibility of its many options when combining them. It was my first design, which launched Blackout. Back when it was just me and still working a day job. It's not likely something we would design these days, but that comes with learning a lot from then to now. It still rules though and on a personal level it's a proud memory unleashing that thing on the world.

Just tracked down a yellow fixd deluxe,
super friggen pumped
and this story of it's drunk history existence makes me really friggen happy
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Clean Channel » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:12 pm

blackout_kyle wrote:Clean Channel's info is spot on. :group:

Very glad you unleashed it too! Fix'd deluxe (as one half of the Twosome) has been a staple on my board for years now!
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby blackout_kyle » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:49 pm

You guys might get a kick out of this...

The prototype Fix'd Fuzz's wiring (early 2008). The first small batches I built were just like this, minus all the socketed parts. I don't remember how many I built like this until I designed the board with pcb-mounted toggles.

blackout_kyle

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:50 pm

That's a lot of wire, Kyle. :lol:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Clean Channel » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:52 pm

That's the way we do!
Clean Channel

Supporter
Supporter

Postby hbombgraphics » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:05 pm

holy cow that is awesome,
How many feet of wire do you figure?
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blackout_kyle » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:32 pm

hbombgraphics wrote:holy cow that is awesome,
How many feet of wire do you figure?

I'd estimate about 13 feet of wire.
blackout_kyle

committed
committed