General Question. What OTHER fuzz pedals do I need …?

Moderator: blackout_kyle

General Question. What OTHER fuzz pedals do I need …?

Postby JerEvil » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:53 pm

So I ventured into the world of fuzz pedals last week. It was between the BE Twosome and BAT Coven. The Coven won this go round, but I have been listening to a lot of demos of the Crystal Dagger, Musket, Blunderbus and so forth. Wondering what would be a god compliment to what I have coming in the mail today.

Seems like fuzz, in and of itself is a black hole of wonderfully unique and guilty pleasure spending! Many forum friends have warned me it gets addictive.
Ugly Nora wrote:The only thing that your little shootout proves is that the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe sucks too.
JerEvil

involved
involved

Re: General Question. What OTHER fuzz pedals do I need …?

Postby echoraven » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:55 pm

If you don't have a specific sound in mind; look for clearance deals. I look for that crazy, crazy pricing that I can buy a pedal, try it out for some time and if I don't like it I can probably sell it for the same thing because at this point I have too many pedals.
echoraven

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:33 pm

I think any of the Blackout pedal you mentioned would be great.

The Crystal Dagger is pretty unique sounding.

You've got your Muff needs covered in the Coven, but the Blunderbuss is a great pedal too. Two very different sounding Muff variants there.

The Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe is a veritable Swiss Army knife of fuzz.

So, as echoraven mentioned, it all really depends on the sounds you're looking to hear.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby JerEvil » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:57 pm

echoraven wrote:If you don't have a specific sound in mind; look for clearance deals. I look for that crazy, crazy pricing that I can buy a pedal, try it out for some time and if I don't like it I can probably sell it for the same thing because at this point I have too many pedals.

Any place in particular worth checking out?

I am not ashamed to admit I am a metal guy at heart. Priest, Maiden, Accept, etc. but I also listen to a good bit of Stoney/Doom type stuff. As of late though, I am really digging Jack White's guitar sounds. I had need paid much attention to his work but he gets some killer sounds. I need to learn a little more about types of fuzzes I suppose to know what I am looking for. I still don't know the difference between silicon or germanium (?), is it Muff based, etc.

I know for sure I like some of the HM2 variants I have heard in much heavier stuff like Entombed, Tragedy, Disfear.
Ugly Nora wrote:The only thing that your little shootout proves is that the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe sucks too.
JerEvil

involved
involved

Postby Jero » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:07 am

Check out the Foxx Tone Machine and Industrialectric Square Wave Generator.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby benjuro » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:18 am

Chankgeez wrote:I think any of the Blackout pedal you mentioned would be great.

The Crystal Dagger is pretty unique sounding.

You've got your Muff needs covered in the Coven, but the Blunderbuss is a great pedal too. Two very different sounding Muff variants there.

The Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe is a veritable Swiss Army knife of fuzz.

So, as echoraven mentioned, it all really depends on the sounds you're looking to hear.

Chank is steering you in the right direction...your Pharaoh side will cover muff tones all day long, and you've got great lower gain tones in the Black Forest side. If you want different, I might suggest looking for a FuzzFace variant...something like an EQD Dirt Transmitter or Dream Crusher. The DT would allow you to get less-than-smooth velcro tones, big contrast to the sustain you're getting from the Pharaoh. The Blunderbuss would be a nice compromise, huge muff sound with mids! I just got a Fix'd Deluxe recently and have been blown away by the quality of tones and it's versatility.
All the options DO make it tough to decide...ILF helps inform you but makes it tough to resist...good problems to have!
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Blackout Effectors