Just got a Whetstone and I...

Moderator: blackout_kyle

Just got a Whetstone and I...

Postby dhw204 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:02 pm

...love it. LOVE IT.

That is all.

:thumb:
Wish I picked a better name...
'74 Guild Starfire IV -> 3Leaf Audio GR2 -> Wampler Ego Compressor -> Blackout Effectors Whetstone -> Algal Bloom/Scarab Deluxe/MXR Classic 108 -> Super Chili Picoso -> Dirty Little Secret Mk. I -> Malekko Ekko 616 -> Vox AC15C1
dhw204

interested
interested

Re: Just got a Whetstone and I...

Postby Gunner Recall » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:45 pm

:animal:

The whetstone is some serious phaser.
I traded my white&red one away for a dual fuzz...I love the dual but it really miss the whetstone :grumpy:
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby dhw204 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:15 pm

After a hiatus from guitar (going back to school - living in a not-so-guitar-friendly-apartment - frantically trying to find a job - finally finding one) I went on a pedal spree recently. But...it's not like I'm raking it in so now I have a few that I need to sell to cover some of the cost of the binge... :mope: If only I had unlimited funds and unlimited pedalboard space!

How is the dual fuzz? Do you get equal use from both sides?
'74 Guild Starfire IV -> 3Leaf Audio GR2 -> Wampler Ego Compressor -> Blackout Effectors Whetstone -> Algal Bloom/Scarab Deluxe/MXR Classic 108 -> Super Chili Picoso -> Dirty Little Secret Mk. I -> Malekko Ekko 616 -> Vox AC15C1
dhw204

interested
interested

Postby Gunner Recall » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Heck yeah, the musket is a swiss army muff, and the fix'd is for both the more subtle (just boost/tone) and extreme amp explodey/sputtery fuzz.

I've got an infinitphase now, it's all sorts of crazy, but I really just miss the base sound of the whetstone.
Plus it doesn't need a funny power supply like the infinit :p
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby dhw204 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:06 pm

That sounds sweet...

I've had my eye on getting a Musket for awhile now, but I recently got the Whetstone and got a 3Leaf GR2 envelope filter this weekend (awwwweeeesome) and have a custom Algal Bloom on the way... it may time for a breather! (and more playing)

But...I think 2012 will be the year I revisit the muff family. I used to have one of the EHX black Russian models - it didn't last long before falling apart, but it was one of my favorite pedals when I first started playing. I now have a Swollen Pickle Mk II I'm looking to get rid of (frustrating as I just got it), and it's muffy and versatile, but despite its bevy of tones, it lacks a bit in note definition and is a little scooped-mid for me no matter what I try (Tele -> AC15)
dhw204

interested
interested

Postby Fuzz_Pi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:45 pm

dhw204 wrote:That sounds sweet...

I've had my eye on getting a Musket for awhile now, but I recently got the Whetstone and got a 3Leaf GR2 envelope filter this weekend (awwwweeeesome) and have a custom Algal Bloom on the way... it may time for a breather! (and more playing)

But...I think 2012 will be the year I revisit the muff family. I used to have one of the EHX black Russian models - it didn't last long before falling apart, but it was one of my favorite pedals when I first started playing. I now have a Swollen Pickle Mk II I'm looking to get rid of (frustrating as I just got it), and it's muffy and versatile, but despite its bevy of tones, it lacks a bit in note definition and is a little scooped-mid for me no matter what I try (Tele -> AC15)

Late response but you really gotta fuck wit the internal trimpots in that thing

But if note definition and muff together is what you want, you want a musket, the musket has the tightest ass of
any muff I've ever had the pleasure to play with.
Fuzz_Pi

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dhw204 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:12 am

I played with it quite a bit, and may go back and mess with it a bit more before putting it up for sale, but note definition was something that really jumped out at me with the Musket demos I saw. Wasn't used to hearing such a good combination of muffiness and tightness. The Swollen Pickle, for all the sounds it has (many of which are fantastic, many of which are useless), just can't seem to get that.

As for: "Tightest ass of any muff I've ever had the pleasure to play with." I think you just blew my mind.
dhw204

interested
interested

Postby DarkAxel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:40 am

I've got a #68... there are many things i like and there are a few things i don't enjoy that much...

the sounds are absolutely gorgeous :) hard to get sometimes, but awesome anyway. Surprisingly, i absolutely adore the Ring mode... i haven't had any experience with ringmods, but i fell in love with it instaneously
But here goes one of the main problems for me - the ringmod carrier signal is very loud. I prefer phaser in front of fuzzes and after OD, but with the carrier signal, it sounds quite awful :(
so the chain now goes Fuck OD -> Fix'D Fuzz (lately mainly Fuz:2!!! it sounds amazing with the ringmod) -> Whetstone -> Pharaoh, so i can get the best out of both worlds

Even the simple phasing is very pretty and i really am able to at least partially mimick the Sovtek Small Stone i replaced with Whetstone - so everything good... tremol-esque and leslie-ish sounds are easy to achieve, vibrato sounds more natural than on my Digitech PDS 20/20... analog vs digital, right? ;) The least usable for me is the Fixed mode, maybe for some special effects during recording, but live? no way...

Frankly - haven't bonded with it properly yet. I've had it for a week, but it might be because it's kinda complex...

i will post some videos lately somewhere... maybe...
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blackout_kyle » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:48 am

DarkAxel wrote:I've got a #68...

the sounds are absolutely gorgeous :) hard to get sometimes, but awesome anyway. Surprisingly, i absolutely adore the Ring mode... i haven't had any experience with ringmods, but i fell in love with it instaneously
But here goes one of the main problems for me - the ringmod carrier signal is very loud. I prefer phaser in front of fuzzes and after OD, but with the carrier signal, it sounds quite awful :(
so the chain now goes Fuck OD -> Fix'D Fuzz (lately mainly Fuz:2!!! it sounds amazing with the ringmod) -> Whetstone -> Pharaoh, so i can get the best out of both worlds

You have a V1 and early one at that. The V2 resolves the audible carrier stuff and makes Ring mode FAR more useable. There is an easy mod that will get you 90% there, if you want info on the mod or to send it in for the mod.
blackout_kyle

committed
committed

Postby kevinhifi » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:44 pm

Had a Whetstone for a while and really had fun with it. At the time I need subtle slow phase sounds and fast trem/vibey sounds. I was able to dial it in so that a couple switch flicks got me easily switching between the two as needed.
Henretta Engineering
tiny square pedals with no knobs...and more!
www.henrettaengineering.com
kevinhifi

committed
committed

Postby DarkAxel » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:44 am

blackout_kyle wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:I've got a #68...

You have a V1 and early one at that. The V2 resolves the audible carrier stuff and makes Ring mode FAR more useable. There is an easy mod that will get you 90% there, if you want info on the mod or to send it in for the mod.

PM'd, good sir :)

also:

hope you guys don't mind
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby benjuro » Sun May 20, 2012 6:21 am

blackout_kyle wrote:You have a V1 and early one at that. The V2 resolves the audible carrier stuff and makes Ring mode FAR more useable. There is an easy mod that will get you 90% there, if you want info on the mod or to send it in for the mod.

#64 be MINE!
Would one of you kind gents kindly share the "easy mod" info?
:hug:
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun May 20, 2012 8:43 am

benjuro wrote:
blackout_kyle wrote:You have a V1 and early one at that. The V2 resolves the audible carrier stuff and makes Ring mode FAR more useable. There is an easy mod that will get you 90% there, if you want info on the mod or to send it in for the mod.

#64 be MINE!
Would one of you kind gents kindly share the "easy mod" info?
:hug:

Just get at Kyle. You can send it in and they'll do it at BE.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby benjuro » Mon May 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Just get at Kyle. You can send it in and they'll do it at BE.

I was hoping not to have to send it in, he made it sound like it was straightforward enough.
Plus I reached out to Kyle a few days ago and haven't heard back...bro must be busy :idk:
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon May 21, 2012 9:36 pm

IDK what the mod is. There're a number of mods they can do to V1 Whetstones. I opted to have my V1 board replaced with a V2. So, I just sent it in.

I'm sure Kyle'll tell you what the mod is. Sometimes he's just busy.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Next

Return to Blackout Effectors