Blunderbuss vs Musket fuzz v1

Moderator: blackout_kyle

Blunderbuss vs Musket fuzz v1

Postby Invader.CC » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:40 am

I have a musket fuzz v1 and have been offered a trade for a Blunderbuss..The V1 is number 033 and is a great fuzz..But i have always had interest in the V2 or blunderbuss..I'm not a doom player or metal player but i play a lot of Jack White,Black keys along with all kinds of fuzz based classic rock along the lines of Montrose,Neil Young,Rainbow you get the idea ..

I have listened to the you tube comparison video's but with the poor speaker quality of my computer and you tubes overly compressed sound i'm not really hearing a lot of difference..

My basic question is which sounds the most like the EHX Black and Green Russian muff..Can the Blunderbuss be EQ'D for the smooth Muff tones as well as the new Blunderbuss sound? Which do you prefer?
Invader.CC

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Blunderbuss vs Musket fuzz v1

Postby Chaosmic » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Yes....the Blunderbuss can definitely do smooth as well as a lot more tones than a V1. I say this as I have a V1 Musket, a V2 Musket and a Blunderbuss. The Blunderbuss is my favorite of all 3 by far. It's more open (less compressed), louder, has more mids, tighter in the bass even with the Focus set low, is quieter in terms of background noise (hiss, etc.) and to me, the controls all seem to have more range than my other 2 Muskets. I'd say GO FOR IT!!!
Chaosmic

committed
committed

Postby blackout_kyle » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:02 pm

Chaosmic wrote:Yes....the Blunderbuss can definitely do smooth as well as a lot more tones than a V1. I say this as I have a V1 Musket, a V2 Musket and a Blunderbuss. The Blunderbuss is my favorite of all 3 by far. It's more open (less compressed), louder, has more mids, tighter in the bass even with the Focus set low, is quieter in terms of background noise (hiss, etc.) and to me, the controls all seem to have more range than my other 2 Muskets. I'd say GO FOR IT!!!

I'd second all of that, but with the caveat that it is the least traditional muff sound.
blackout_kyle

committed
committed

Postby Chaosmic » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:02 pm

I'd second all of that, but with the caveat that it is the least traditional muff sound.

And I'll second that....but to me it's WAY more badass than the traditional muff sound. The V1 and V2 can do the traditional thing so well, it's awesome to have the Musket tweakability in the Blunderbuss plus the added sonic evil that it brings to the seance.....
Chaosmic

committed
committed

Postby Gunner Recall » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:20 am

Yarr I dunno about nailing specific tones, but I've certainly been using the blunderbuss over the musket lately...
It's open/loud/raw.
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby benjuro » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:13 am

Invader.CC wrote: My basic question is which sounds the most like the EHX Black and Green Russian muff..Can the Blunderbuss be EQ'D for the smooth Muff tones as well as the new Blunderbuss sound? Which do you prefer?

I don't have a V1 (mine is V2) but the traditional Musket is definitely more like the green and black russians. I LOVE my Blunderbuss--granted I've only had it for a short period of time--but it is a different animal than the Musket. I think you can get them to cover similar territory, but they have different voices for sure. You can smooth the Blunderbuss out, but when I want massive mid-scooped muffage with booming bottom end, I reach for the Musket. If hot and greasy midrange are on tap, Blunderbuss away...
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Blackout Effectors