A Question About My Whetstone.

Moderator: blackout_kyle

A Question About My Whetstone.

Postby Cody_Pole » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:44 pm

Hey Kyle got a question about a loud popping noise when I first engage my stone, it only happens one time after I turn my
pedals on ( I'm running it on an 18volt power supply ) in an effects loop. I'm using a one spot to power some pedals and
some other pedals are running on independent power supplies, is their anyway I can get rid that popping noise when I
first engage the stone?
Deflating Expectations.

Good Dudes: blooghost,bob the robot,Jero,dorfmeister,modernage,oneloudrash,noisemaker effects,vidarr,rosscanyonsofstatic,inertia,communarchy,kosta,culturejam,zzz,actionindex, dorfmeister,pumpkin pieces,monkeyboy,nieh,sweetbabyphil,D.O.S and corrinica !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cody_Pole

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: A Question About My Whetstone.

Postby Holy Schnikes » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:30 pm

I never had any popping issues, could it be the buffered input the loop is sending? Have you tried it out front or alone to see if the popping is present??

I've had pedals in the past that didn't interact well resulting in pops. Also, the "static buildup" theory is pretty common, where the switch will build static while unused (thus popping when first engaged) but it seems to work itself out after a couple cycles...
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gunner Recall » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:32 am

What date/serial is your whetstone? I had one of the first ones and it too suffered from the occasional pop...
I sent it back to blackout land and kyle fixed it right up pretty quickly
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby Cody_Pole » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:40 am

Holy Schnikes wrote:I never had any popping issues, could it be the buffered input the loop is sending? Have you tried it out front or alone to see if the popping is present??

I've had pedals in the past that didn't interact well resulting in pops. Also, the "static buildup" theory is pretty common, where the switch will build static while unused (thus popping when first engaged) but it seems to work itself out after a couple cycles...

I've ran it outside of the loop and it still did the pop after powering up and I also ran it at 9volts on a power supply and again
it popped when first powered on, here's how my chain goes:

Amp>Boss PN-2>DL4>Cathedral>Kopy Kat>Bigshot Loop Selector>VPJR

In loop1:Whetstone>Mindbender In loop2:Distortron>Fat Sandwich>Malekko Fuzz

Any other thoughts?
Deflating Expectations.

Good Dudes: blooghost,bob the robot,Jero,dorfmeister,modernage,oneloudrash,noisemaker effects,vidarr,rosscanyonsofstatic,inertia,communarchy,kosta,culturejam,zzz,actionindex, dorfmeister,pumpkin pieces,monkeyboy,nieh,sweetbabyphil,D.O.S and corrinica !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cody_Pole

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Holy Schnikes » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Only pops after first stomp on each power up, then goes quiet after? Maybe the static deal??

I have a few pedals that do this when first engaged, then quiet again, not sure a permanent fix but cycling them on and off a couple times when my amp is in standby usually eliminates that first pop. The Gnomeratron actually scares the shit out of me at times, like a mini-shotgun blast if I forget to cycle that switch first.

Sorry if I misunderstood and that's of no help. Maybe Kyle will have some insight.
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Cody_Pole » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Holy Schnikes wrote:Only pops after first stomp on each power up, then goes quiet after? Maybe the static deal??

I have a few pedals that do this when first engaged, then quiet again, not sure a permanent fix but cycling them on and off a couple times when my amp is in standby usually eliminates that first pop. The Gnomeratron actually scares the shit out of me at times, like a mini-shotgun blast if I forget to cycle that switch first.

Sorry if I misunderstood and that's of no help. Maybe Kyle will have some insight.

Thanks for troubleshooting info dude! I'll move it around some more in my effects chain and if it continues to pop I guess I'll just engage
the pedal before I turn on the amps. :)
Deflating Expectations.

Cody_Pole

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby blackout_kyle » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Cody_Pole wrote:... I'll just engage the pedal before I turn on the amps. :)

Hi Cody_Pole: that's the only solution. Just flip the toggle that pops on yours once or twice while your amp is warming up anyway.
blackout_kyle

committed
committed

Postby Cody_Pole » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:45 pm

blackout_kyle wrote:
Cody_Pole wrote:... I'll just engage the pedal before I turn on the amps. :)

Hi Cody_Pole: that's the only solution. Just flip the toggle that pops on yours once or twice while your amp is warming up anyway.

Sounds like a plan! :animal:
Deflating Expectations.

Cody_Pole

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to Blackout Effectors