To the Shark Tank with ye?

Moderator: lawrence scaduto

To the Shark Tank with ye?

Postby Thylacine Dream » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Just wondering why you got moved here from the builders page. Anyone know?
EJ
Bassed in Los Angeles
@punkcrushband @painbehavior @queeraspunk @puzzytuesday
Good deals: Tom Dalton, lawrence scaduto, Ryan, Dan DubblEwe, multi_s, MaxMaps, ianmarks, cantremember
Thylacine Dream

committed
committed

Re: To the Shark Tank with ye?

Postby lawrence scaduto » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Great question. Tom Dalton told me it was because it was "less active".

I don't post here much. I guess I feel I don't have much to share. I've been super busy with making music, food, trips and doing Bitcheslovemyswitches.com

Plus I am super slow to bring new pedals to market.

I'm still building and still selling pedals daily. In fact I am working on a big batch for effekt-boutique.de this week.

What would be good stuff to post? Should I just treat this like my own personal blog with movie reviews, song demos and stuff?

Here's a taste: a new song I put out

It got some play on Jonah Ray's Podcast. That was super exciting.

I just watched the CBGB movie last night. It was not a good movie by the standard rules, the plot was forced, the limitations of just shooting on the set of the club limited an already oddly toned movie but I was still entertained. I just love anything movie music related. It was fun to see Justin Bartha do a Stiv Bators impersonation and I forgot how good "Sonic Reducer" from the dead boys was. I wonder how the hell such an obvious low budget movie has the money to clear some huge expensive songs from the police and the talking heads. Nearly all of Marquee Moon was in the film as well (not that licensing Televisions songs is expensive).

One thing that bugged me. Is it that hard to find actors than can fake their way through playing guitar? It always looks so awkward when they can't play.
I make Pedalshttp://ohnoho.com
I sell pedal parts http://bitcheslovemyswitches.com
thinking of PMing? email lawrence at ohnoho dot com for the quickest response
lawrence scaduto

committed
committed

Postby Thylacine Dream » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:38 pm

lawrence scaduto wrote:Great question. Tom Dalton told me it was because it was "less active".

I don't post here much. I guess I feel I don't have much to share. I've been super busy with making music, food, trips and doing Bitcheslovemyswitches.com

Plus I am super slow to bring new pedals to market.

I'm still building and still selling pedals daily. In fact I am working on a big batch for effekt-boutique.de this week.

What would be good stuff to post? Should I just treat this like my own personal blog with movie reviews, song demos and stuff?

Here's a taste: a new song I put out

It got some play on Jonah Ray's Podcast. That was super exciting.

I just watched the CBGB movie last night. It was not a good movie by the standard rules, the plot was forced, the limitations of just shooting on the set of the club limited an already oddly toned movie but I was still entertained. I just love anything movie music related. It was fun to see Justin Bartha do a Stiv Bators impersonation and I forgot how good "Sonic Reducer" from the dead boys was. I wonder how the hell such an obvious low budget movie has the money to clear some huge expensive songs from the police and the talking heads. Nearly all of Marquee Moon was in the film as well (not that licensing Televisions songs is expensive).

One thing that bugged me. Is it that hard to find actors than can fake their way through playing guitar? It always looks so awkward when they can't play.

I know I'd read it if you treated this as your blog. I mean, I am right now. And I'm always ravenous for new Shopping or videos of any sort. I'd seen Drunk Billionaire before and missed the loer fi of the EP at first but now I love it, showed the video to a friend and he was foot tappin whole way through, all the party people at the end got big laughs. Also love Know It Alls and Foam Fingers, are these gonna be on a new EP, full-length, not sure yet?

Have you played this new Bubsy art game thing? Reminds me of your stuff some, especially the internet rabbit hole it throws you down once you start using the cheats
http://bubsy3d.com/
https://twitter.com/BubsyCheatZone

Haven't seen the CBGB movie but I kinda adore the Runaways movie; Kristen Stewart learned guitar for that and Samuel L Jackson learned it for Black Snake Moan. I feel like learning to play or at least fake it would be a great acting exercise, what with synthesizing the movement and rhythm peculiar to different genres/players, I guess some actors are just lazy though, that or the directors don't care about it enough to give them time to?
EJ
Bassed in Los Angeles
Good deals: Tom Dalton, lawrence scaduto, Ryan, Dan DubblEwe, multi_s, MaxMaps, ianmarks, cantremember
Thylacine Dream

committed
committed

Postby lawrence scaduto » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:53 pm

My goal this year is to release a song and video a month. luckily i have nearly 4 years of almost finished songs. i have to stop throwing songs out when they aren't perfect and just let them. be. quality control is hard when it's just you making the music. there's no one to bounce it off of. i guess you could email your friends but they're biased no matter what.

i'm working on a video for a song about how hard it is to finish songs. very meta.

went to try busby but i had to install a plugin. i'm plugin phobic. plus my PC is constantly crashing. i don't want more junk on it.

i think most people don't give a shit about details when making films or there is just so much other stuff to worry about. but it's the little details that count. it's the subliminal stuff that makes you buy in and engage with a movie. we've all seen a nurse hold a syringe correctly, a baker icing a cake or drummers doing a proper fill. our brain knows when needle isn't being held right, the drummers posture tense and unnatural, the bakers wrist movements missing fluidity. these things take us out of the film. and ultimately fail to keep us locked in.

there are exceptions to the rule. like the film drive. everything was ridiculous and wrong about the details of that film. but i was so into it. the tone was there from the beginning.

new doc alert: tropicalia http://www.veoh.com/watch/v431112158e2y3jAm
haven't watched it yet but excited to. OS Mutantes blew my mind when I first heard them. I am curious to see where they came from. I hear a lot of beatles influence in them. That being said, everyone says the beatles influenced all most after them. I'd like to hear an impassioned case for that theory.
lawrence scaduto

committed
committed

Postby 01010111 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:25 am

lawrence scaduto wrote:That being said, everyone says the beatles influenced all most after them. I'd like to hear an impassioned case for that theory.

Umm.... Whaddya wanna hear? I'm a big Beatles fan :hello:

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lawrence scaduto » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:51 am

wfs1234 wrote:
lawrence scaduto wrote:That being said, everyone says the beatles influenced all most after them. I'd like to hear an impassioned case for that theory.

ok. show me how the beatles influenced the shaggs.
lawrence scaduto

committed
committed

Postby Thylacine Dream » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:00 pm

lawrence scaduto wrote:
wfs1234 wrote:

ok. show me how the beatles influenced the shaggs.

Ha haaaa.

In regards to your last post, is the meta video January's, then? My big creative struggle in regards to perfectionism is starting at all, because I know it won't ever be "perfect" to me. But the process feels good, regardless of the end result, and I try to remind myself of that and create. Well you could bounce stuff off ILFers, didn't you do that once? How were the results?

Understandable about Bubsy and plugins. It's fun to play with a friend, in case anyone's ever over with their laptop or whatever.

I've been watching Twin Peaks lately, Lynch is of course the antithesis of not giving a shit about details, and a great commander of the subliminal stuff. I think the show's interesting because the things that would normally take you out of it (plot holes, crazy logic, cheesy acting and writing) wind up actually creating the alternately dreamy/nightmarish soap opera tone and pulling you way in (or, for some people, making you hate it). I was way into Drive, too, definitely one of the more polarizing things to come out in a while, I have at least one friend who's gone from loving it to hating it, even. My roommate calls it "a movie about glances," and it gave the right context to those glances and the right world for them to happen in, so I was absorbed. I just saw Inside Llewyn Davis and found it fantastic for similar reasons (though, as far as those sortsa small details, it would've been nice to see some guitar tuning fuckery), certainly not upbeat, though, made me wanna slam my face into a counter.

I've only heard a little Os Mutantes, someone gave me Chromecast for Christmas though so I'll probably stream it to the TV at some point. Casting's pretty nifty.
EJ
Bassed in Los Angeles
Thylacine Dream

committed
committed

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:26 pm

lawrence scaduto wrote:I just watched the CBGB movie last night. It was not a good movie by the standard rules, the plot was forced, the limitations of just shooting on the set of the club limited an already oddly toned movie but I was still entertained. I just love anything movie music related. It was fun to see Justin Bartha do a Stiv Bators impersonation and I forgot how good "Sonic Reducer" from the dead boys was. I wonder how the hell such an obvious low budget movie has the money to clear some huge expensive songs from the police and the talking heads. Nearly all of Marquee Moon was in the film as well (not that licensing Televisions songs is expensive).

I rarely watch movies, but I will likely watch CBGB. It was filmed here in Savannah-- an interesting choice for a movie set in NY. Turns out it was cheaper to move the actual bar and toilets here and build a set than it would have been to film in NY. I guess they used a ton of SCAD students in the movie, too.

They film a bunch of movies here. My house might even be in one of the movies they filmed in 2012, if it ever comes out.
My diy pedal blog: Just one more build...
Mike

committed
committed

Postby lawrence scaduto » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Thylacine Dream wrote:
In regards to your last post, is the meta video January's, then? My big creative struggle in regards to perfectionism is starting at all, because I know it won't ever be "perfect" to me. But the process feels good, regardless of the end result, and I try to remind myself of that and create. Well you could bounce stuff off ILFers, didn't you do that once? How were the results?

Understandable about Bubsy and plugins. It's fun to play with a friend, in case anyone's ever over with their laptop or whatever.

I've been watching Twin Peaks lately, Lynch is of course the antithesis of not giving a shit about details, and a great commander of the subliminal stuff. I think the show's interesting because the things that would normally take you out of it (plot holes, crazy logic, cheesy acting and writing) wind up actually creating the alternately dreamy/nightmarish soap opera tone and pulling you way in (or, for some people, making you hate it). I was way into Drive, too, definitely one of the more polarizing things to come out in a while, I have at least one friend who's gone from loving it to hating it, even. My roommate calls it "a movie about glances," and it gave the right context to those glances and the right world for them to happen in, so I was absorbed. I just saw Inside Llewyn Davis and found it fantastic for similar reasons (though, as far as those sortsa small details, it would've been nice to see some guitar tuning fuckery), certainly not upbeat, though, made me wanna slam my face into a counter.

I've only heard a little Os Mutantes, someone gave me Chromecast for Christmas though so I'll probably stream it to the TV at some point. Casting's pretty nifty.

Meta video: step by step is the song.

creative struggles: everyone is telling me "the war of art" is all about this. i've been meaning to audibook it for a while. http://www.amazon.com/The-War-Art-Throu ... 1936891026

bouncing off ILF: yeah, i forgot i tried that. i don't remember how it went so that must mean it made very little impact on me. if i am completely honest: sometimes i'm just looking for bad ideas against which I can argue my current position. it's helpful. sometimes i'm looking for a mental leather daddy to dominate the creative process to which I can help blow wind in the sails in his hairy direction. in all creative endeavors there usually needs to be a dom and sub. no one should be in the same role for the entirety of the relationship or project. but for each element yes. until you can come to consensus. at least that seems to work for me.

i have a couple of interesting riffs that need some spanking. anyone use ableton and wanna pass some files along and see if something could be made out of it?

i have a hard time getting into lynch. you know when people throw out baby names and you're all, "i don't like the name micha because this one douche in 9th grade...." I have that with lynch. other people ruined it for me and it's totally not his fault. i should get over that and try again, eh?

i saw llewyn too. i was more involved with the cat than the main character. especially the last time we see the cat (no spoilers here). i felt like, "ok this movie should end right now". it was a total bummer. maybe i'm emotionally skewed because at the time our dear feline was really sick. so i might not be the cleanest slate to judge the film.

and can we talk about that weird blur filter on the highlights? It looked really cheesy. it was like a streisand movie with all that vaseline on the lens look.

i felt like an asshole for going, "but nothing happened in it!". because that's often the case with coen bros movies. but i always go back and enjoy them later. like a serious man (that's the name right?). i liked that way more than the first time. thier movies always stick with me. i watched no country 5 times the year it came out. i just couldn't get enough of it.
lawrence scaduto

committed
committed

Postby lawrence scaduto » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:27 pm

Mike wrote:
lawrence scaduto wrote:I just watched the CBGB movie last night. It was not a good movie by the standard rules, the plot was forced, the limitations of just shooting on the set of the club limited an already oddly toned movie but I was still entertained. I just love anything movie music related. It was fun to see Justin Bartha do a Stiv Bators impersonation and I forgot how good "Sonic Reducer" from the dead boys was. I wonder how the hell such an obvious low budget movie has the money to clear some huge expensive songs from the police and the talking heads. Nearly all of Marquee Moon was in the film as well (not that licensing Televisions songs is expensive).

I rarely watch movies, but I will likely watch CBGB. It was filmed here in Savannah-- an interesting choice for a movie set in NY. Turns out it was cheaper to move the actual bar and toilets here and build a set than it would have been to film in NY. I guess they used a ton of SCAD students in the movie, too.

They film a bunch of movies here. My house might even be in one of the movies they filmed in 2012, if it ever comes out.

I went to Savannah on a day trip in December. All I really saw was that water front area with bad overpriced food and a plantation about 10 miles south. Did I completely miss the cool stuff? I didn't have much time there but I wasn't very impressed. Tell me what I should have checked out.

So those toilets were the actual toilets? That seems wildly impractical in term of film production. Because from my memories (played there in 2006-ish?) it looked really close. It seems silly to ship the actual shitter to GA when you could recreate it. Lord knows it was the most photographed part of CBGBs.

Current CBGB space is now a JOhn Varvatos store. Smart branding for him. Sad to lose the institution. So many storied venues from downtown NYC have gone. It's just the way it works.
lawrence scaduto

committed
committed

Return to ohnoho