my first build!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

my first build!

Postby heartben » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:31 pm

just thought should post this.

i built this, it went oddly well. i want to build something else but i have no idea what... any suggestions?

and - i know the wires in this are a little crazy. i did my best. i wasnt sure which order to put things in - etc. so ... some of its messy.

annnd for the finish on this... obviously i can paint stuff but i opted to do something else. i just wanted something unique. after this i took some white paint and i drew a line aroudn the outisde and wrote on top but you get the idea

I'm back! - AGAIN!
heartben

committed
committed

Re: my first build!

Postby Nychthemeron » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 pm

That's a nice first build! Surprising to not see a pyramid on it though. ;)
How does it sound?

Makes me want to start making things, but I'm not sure that soldering inside a dorm room is a good idea. I'd like to try making a mixture of a fuzz and a DOD 440 to get a sort of bouncy sound, but that's just me.
Do you like listening to homemade music? Me too. Why don't you try one of mine?

Current ILF Love: OHNOHO CHK CHK BOOM, Mellowtone Melx Fuzz 2, EQD Dream Crusher, Devi Ever ID, Dr. Scientist Proto-Miniberator - new vids eventually

some mysteries are best unsolved
Nychthemeron

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby heartben » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:07 pm

haha, right? it kind of felt weird considering doing a painting on my own pedal. i mean. i painted my dl4 but thats just kind of blank "space" no planets or anything weird.. so its more realistic but.. yeah. i opted for something more unique. almost my whole board has stuff i designed/drew or painted so it was tine for a change!

i appreciate the compliment/comment!

i think you could solder in a dorm - they make these fume absorber things if you are worried about that! i mean... i solder in my room and i dont have windows or anything and i have repaired lots of stuff and rewired pickguards and... i havent gotten sick or anything.
I'm back! - AGAIN!
heartben

committed
committed

Postby Nychthemeron » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Fumes are the least of my problems. I would like to try someday...

Any plans for a new build?
Do you like listening to homemade music? Me too. Why don't you try one of mine?

Current ILF Love: OHNOHO CHK CHK BOOM, Mellowtone Melx Fuzz 2, EQD Dream Crusher, Devi Ever ID, Dr. Scientist Proto-Miniberator - new vids eventually

some mysteries are best unsolved
Nychthemeron

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby TheAttackman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:23 pm

Trying doing a build on perf..
Or breadboard your own design
TheAttackman

experienced
experienced

Postby heartben » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:49 pm

baha!

dude. wow. just get that other desk a little more organized and that would be enough room. i pretty much did everything over one of those green cutting mats that is like 12x17ish so you dont need a TON of room but you know..

annnnd i would love to do my own circuit but im sad to say im not that good yet. hah.

but i might get some perf/vero or something like that and try making some of the easier pedals i can find and see what happens. i might try to order parts to do another build or 2 tonight actually! if anyone has any more suggestions let me know. i was thinking about the super hard on or something to that effect but i havent been ablt to find the pot that goes with it.. it hink its like b5k or something . i wanted to order everything from pedal parts plus but idk if thats going to work!

otherwise i have a few other simple distortions/fuzzes in mind. maybe i can build one and tweek that till i get something a little more unique.

thanks!
I'm back! - AGAIN!
heartben

committed
committed

Postby Scruffie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Leaded solder fumes are pretty harmless if that's a worry, the fumes are just flux which is a mild irritant and after long exposure might cause a slight cough, there's no lead in it, unleaded solder fumes are actually worse for you.

If you want a solder fume extractor though, which is reccomended as breathing them isn't a good idea anyway and I always get the smoke in my eye myself you can build one of these for next to nothing http://www.thetonegod.com/tech/extract/extract.html

Nice looking build by the way, nice and neat board :thumb: If you want to build a Super hard on, don't stress the pot too much technically it should be a 5k C which is Reverse Log but you can use a 10 or 4.7 or 5k linear if you want, you can also get a 10k linear pot, put a 10k resistor between the 1st and 3rd lug and the taper of the pot will be biased towards being a reverse log.

Also you can try a 2N7000 rather than the BS170, some people prefer it.

If you wanna tweak a build why don't you buy a breadboard? Once you get started with one you can even start designing your own circuits let alone tweaking and they allow you to test a pedal without commiting it to a board, there's good info on it here http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/

For parts sourcing in America I only know of www.smallbearelec.com but they have pretty much everything you'd need for a simple build, I dunno about pedalpartsplus though, they might be better for prices.

Be warned though... building is an addictive hobby, it should be classed.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby godofthegrove » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:11 pm

Nice build!!!! looks good!
Anthrax.......Hamm Radio......and Liquor!!!!
godofthegrove

involved
involved

Postby TheAttackman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:09 pm

make a soda meiser!
TheAttackman

experienced
experienced

Postby heartben » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:29 am

thanks for the comments guys, forgot i posted this somehow...

thanks for all the advice. i plan to get a breadboard and stuff its just really hard for me to figure out what parts i need to get... ya know, like a starter pack type thing.

soda meiser eh? is there a schematic on here or something? i suck at reading schematics, but i might be able to get through it...

thanks again!
I'm back! - AGAIN!
heartben

committed
committed

Postby Scruffie » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:31 am

heartben wrote:thanks for the comments guys, forgot i posted this somehow...

thanks for all the advice. i plan to get a breadboard and stuff its just really hard for me to figure out what parts i need to get... ya know, like a starter pack type thing.

soda meiser eh? is there a schematic on here or something? i suck at reading schematics, but i might be able to get through it...

thanks again!

Hmm advice for a starter pack, well i'd say get some decade resistor packs or some kits like these on smallbearelec (can probably be had cheaper elsewhere)
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories ... 7&total=18

Then i'd go for 1s and 5s of capacitors so 1nF, 4.7nF, 10nF, 47nF, 100nF, 1uF, 4.7uF, 10uF etc.

A 10 pack of 1N4148 or 1N914 Diodes and maybe a pair of another type just for variety, an assortment of NPN & PNP transistors (2N3904 and 2N3906 are probably the most common parts that can be subbed in alot of places) a few 2N5088 for higher gain NPN transistors and maybe 2 or 3 of 2N5457 & J201 Fets and if you want to mess with chips go for the TL0XX range (as they have the easiest numbers) and get some TL071, TL072 and TL074 and you'll have single, dual and quad opamps for any projects you may have which will cover things from Rat distortions, Tube Screamers to Tremolos.

Then just a couple of pot values...

If you don't have all the correct parts for a build you can bet you can build it and it'll probably work pretty well with simmilar values or that if you put some parts in series or parallel and use a bit of math you can make a correct value out of the wrong ones (e.g a 1M Linear pot wtih a 1M resistor across lug 1 & 3 then becomes simmilar to a 500k Reverse Log pot)

But that's the base stock i'd have to start messing with simple circuits could probably be had for $30-50, try www.futurlec.com for some good prices.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Return to DIY Effects