Battery sag for any pedal, easily

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Battery sag for any pedal, easily

Postby mathias » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:06 pm

I've used voltage regulator chips in the past that had their output voltage set with a resistor across two of the pins. Perhaps a 12V one with the correct potentiometer on it could simulate everything from low power to around 9V to over-voltage around 12V? Not sure about this though, I've never heard of anyone using one for effects pedals as a dying battery simulator.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:23 am

Allright. I'm doing it.

As soon as I can source and afford parts.

I guess I would just need a litle cable with both ends being male, or mount a male plug on the unit, and use one of those godlyke cables.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby k o y l » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:44 am

I like the design ! :thumb:

If you put two male plug, it would be impossible to plug an adaptor in it, no ?
Why not a female plug for the iput and a male or the output ? Or two female and you include a separate cable (male-male).. it would make possible to use a longer cable if we want to ..
Experimental Ambient/Industrial Guitar Improvisations: Le Principe d'Inconstance
k o y l

committed
committed

Postby aen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:02 am

Thats just what I meant. Probably typed poorly at 1AM :zzz:
Chankgeez wrote:
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby felix » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Haha, that's an awesome name too! :thumb:
felix

interested
interested

Postby aen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:15 pm

I come from a long line of punning linguists.
Chankgeez wrote:
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby felix » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:51 pm

BTW, I'm looking at it again...is this going to be footswitch-able?!

I was thinking about making this same thing a while back, ( a requirement I had was that it be footswtchable) ....but there's going to be a split second, when you switch, where the power is cut completely. How are you getting around that?
felix

interested
interested

Postby aen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:06 pm

hmmm, I might just be able to use a bigger pot and leave the "full power" wire connected the whole time, then when the switch is triggered the voltage will flow in parallel through both paths.

Yes, that is what I will try.
Chankgeez wrote:
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby felix » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:35 pm

That would be rad if it works without dropping power! Hit me up with a PM on price; I'll pre-order if that helps you source parts for it.
felix

interested
interested

Postby aen » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:15 am

aen wrote:hmmm, I might just be able to use a bigger pot and leave the "full power" wire connected the whole time, then when the switch is triggered the voltage will flow in parallel through both paths.

Yes, that is what I will try.

Hehe, that was the stupidest thing i ever posted. Ohms law prevents that from working.

Shits.
Chankgeez wrote:
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:34 am

Okay- a bit of an update-

I posted about htis thing in another thread, if you feel lost-

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1445

I installed a jack for center positive power supplies today, in the hopes to try the voltage starving with my EHX pedals. The Power Struggle puts the power out to a center negative plug which you can fit the Godlyke daisy chain type hooker uppers onto.

Anyway, the Godlyke adaptor for center positive pedals doesn't fit into my EHX boxes, It's possible that they have designed their pedals to accept only their power supply. I think I had a Moog once that took a center positive plug. I'll try to track one down, and give it shot. However, a lot of complex digital stuff (line 6 modelers, EHX #1 echo) just shuts off when you start starving the power.

I do know that the jacks are all functioning correctly, though. I plugged a center positive power supply into the corresponding jack on the Power Struggle, and ran a digitech Bad Monkey off it. It turns into a fuzz when you suck its power down!

I also have a battery installed. When a power supply is inserted, the battery only powers the "status LED" or as I liek to call it the "Hey dummy, you are using this pedal right now" light, because I cant keep my shit straight if it doesnt light up.

You can also run 9v pedals off of this battery, but the LED introduces a tiny amount of resistance into the flow, so you always have a "little starve" when the Power Struggle is engaged.

Whew, hope you had a good read.
Chankgeez wrote:
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby felix » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:35 am

Thanks for the update! I'm curious on this part:
aen wrote:I also have a battery installed. When a power supply is inserted, the battery only powers the "status LED" or as I liek to call it the "Hey dummy, you are using this pedal right now" light, because I cant keep my shit straight if it doesnt light up.

You can also run 9v pedals off of this battery, but the LED introduces a tiny amount of resistance into the flow, so you always have a "little starve" when the Power Struggle is engaged.

Do you have the PSU lead hooked up in some fancy way to the DC in jack so that the battery powers the LED when a PSU isn't hooked up? Or is it hooked up like a normal stombox and you're just saying that you should use the PSU, but if you don't, the 9V battery works in it's stead.

I'm just wondering if you know some fancy-pants DC jack wiring and felt like sharing this magnificent secret.

PS. You know what might be cool (or maybe it wouldn't) is a LED+LDR pairing adjusting the starve and a little schmitt trigger oscillator running the LED....LFO STARVE!
felix

interested
interested

Postby aen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:39 am

The battery always powers the LED, through the magic of 3 wires, the switching power of the DC jack, and a wad of solder and tape. The LED used to be powered by the battery or AC, depending on what you had hooked up, but then i relized that if you were to run, sy 40 volts throug it, you would blow yr LED up :cry:
Chankgeez wrote:
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby felix » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:35 am

aen wrote:The battery always powers the LED, through the magic of 3 wires, the switching power of the DC jack, and a wad of solder and tape. The LED used to be powered by the battery or AC, depending on what you had hooked up, but then i relized that if you were to run, sy 40 volts throug it, you would blow yr LED up :cry:

Ah! Clever bastard! :thumb:
felix

interested
interested

Postby the raytownian » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:01 am

A dying battery in my Johnson delay sound way cool... It gets all there weird ass thumping/pulsing Throbbing Gristle-esque effects!... I was never able to make it work with a pot between the battery clip wire (maybe just using the wrong type of pot/the wrong wire/etc?...IDK) but I always wanted to try something like this... I'm just way too lazy and retarded (more so about getting ALL the parts needed at one time than anything, really) to do it. I think it's actually worth it to make these for lazy fucks like me who might have some money to spend, espec. if there was an exp in.
the raytownian

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects