· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Do-it-yourself pedal building

Forum rules

The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!
Post a reply

Successes and "failures"

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:28 am

Since I started building pedals on veroboard I've completed thirteen pedals, most of them clones but one or two have been off-shoots of circuits which I consider my own. Here's a list.

OK**
Electric Brown
Hyperion II
Random Number Generator*
Finish Line**
Parallel Universe**
Pixel
Clari(Not)
Rattle Crow
Hummingbird*

Happy Little Accident
Happy Little Accident 2
Big Brother

The ones with one * are still "to be finished to my satisfaction" and the ones with ** are "took a while to sort out but I'm happy with them now".

The Random Number Generator works almost as it should, but seems a little limited in what it does compared to the demo video, so I'm still swapping transistors and tinkering now and again.

The Hummingbird is nearly perfect, but far enough from being perfect to be really annoying (there's an intermittent extra bit of noise mixed in with the note which sounds like a crackle at high speeds) and is also picked up and tinkered with off and on as I come up with possible things to try.

So all in all I'm pretty pleased with my progress :) and have another six or seven ready to go whenever I get time to sit down and build them.

Despite the praise for the simple finishes on the enclosures I'm still pondering other ways of making them stand out, but no decision is likely to be made any time soon ;)

Re: Successes and "failures"

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Figuring out WHY the failures were failures is where 99% of the learning is. Keep it up!

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:59 am

whoismarykelly wrote:Figuring out WHY the failures were failures is where 99% of the learning is. Keep it up!

Absolutely - I have learned a lot from sorting out the ones that didn't work first time (at least once that I'd forgotten to connect the output of the board to the switch).

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Paul_C wrote:
whoismarykelly wrote:Figuring out WHY the failures were failures is where 99% of the learning is. Keep it up!

Absolutely - I have learned a lot from sorting out the ones that didn't work first time (at least once that I'd forgotten to connect the output of the board to the switch).

Oh man I've had so many dumb mistakes. I was QCing a batch of 20 pedals the other day and had one that didn't work and I started digging through with an audio probe just to come upon a completely unpopulated resistor pad :facepalm:
Post a reply