Getting back on the horse

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Getting back on the horse

Postby Paul_C » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:03 am

After buying a load of components, enclosures etc. I had a break from all things to do with pedals, as far as building/repairing etc.

Feeling like it's time to get going again, so this week I'm going to make a start on, and maybe finish if work is quiet, building a Clari(not) clone.

I've got a few ideas to try out on some circuits I've already made too, I recently added a switch to my Parallel Universe pedal which cuts the output of the LM386 which was successful, so I want to continue to learn by tinkering :) - I've got a Random Number Generator clone that still doesn't work as well as I'd like it to, so that needs some time spending on it to see if I can make it more useable.

Once that's done I'm going to go back to looking into a broken Memory Toy to see if it can be fixed by someone with only a small amount of electronic knowledge :wha?:
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Getting back on the horse

Postby spacelordmother » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:56 pm

There are known issues with the memory toy -- easiest way is to send to to EHX for repair. They only charge $25!

https://shop.ehx.com/forms/contact/

I love to DIY everything too, but SMD is no fun.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby Paul_C » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:37 pm

I've played a little more with the Random Number Generator, it's better but I'm still not satisfied yet.

In other news I've prepped and filled the board for the Clari(not), just got to add the wires, so tomorrow I'll start drilling holes in the enclosure before a quick paint job with the aim of finishing it on Friday, assuming it works first time, of course. :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:17 am

Is there anything more joyful than plugging a new pedal in pressing the switch for the first time and . . . nothing. ?

Time for a cuppa and a bite to eat before removing the cover to see if there's anything obviously wrong (I have spare LM386s and PT2399s if the wiring checks out).
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:56 am

So, one coffee and a pear consumed, I opened the case.

As I have never avoided using my cluelessness if it means someone gets to be entertained, I shall inform you that some idiot forgot to connect the vol pot to the switch.

It all seems to be working properly, which makes me very happy - the next thing to do is come up with a paint job. As usual I have polished the sides of the enclosure and painted the top black, so all I need to do is label the pots and scribble on it with a paint pen or two.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Next up - a Rattle Crow clone, if work continues to be as quiet next week as it was this I should get it built next week :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:47 pm

I've filled up the board so tomorrow I'll drill some holes and spray a little paint.

Not sure what to build next, but I'm already looking :)

I'll take some pictures of the pair of them once the Rattle Crow is done.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:51 am

build a modular synthesizer. it is super cheap and super useful. I built a power supply from parts I found in the trash. built cases from trash.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ben79 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 am

Modular Synth? Sounds like a great idea. I was very into analogue synths (and computer music) until 12 years ago when I switched back to playing guitar - now I'm getting back into synths and I love to build with trash.
Got any pics EYG?
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby Paul_C » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:54 pm

Not sure I want a modular synthesizer right now.

I'm in the middle of making a Shoe Pixel (should be finished tomorrow) and I'm waiting on some pots to build a Hummingbird.

After that it'll be a Noise Swash (again I'm lacking some pots) and then a Soundwave Breakdown, Heliotrope, Dirty Bird and a Demo Tape Fuzz.

So many I'd like to build !

:)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:25 am

Ben79 wrote:Got any pics EYG?

eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:44 pm

The pots for Hummingbird and small Noise Swash have arrived and I'm waiting on the next 15% Off coupon from Tayda so I can order the bits I don't have for the next five builds :)

There are a couple of ideas I want to try out for my own little circuits too, so plenty to keep me busy :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:41 pm

noise swash is basically a noise synth. they make a pedal and a eurorack.

https://4mscompany.com/euroswash-kit.php
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:03 am

*takes a deep breath and counts to ten slowly*

It's kind of you to take the time to post the link and all the videos (though I recognise they weren't strictly for me).

However, I'm not remotely interested in building eurorack stuff. I'm perfectly happy doing what I'm doing, thanks all the same :)

If I ever want to move into modular synths I know who to ask.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects