Paul_C's 2019 builds (having fun!)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Paul_C's 2019 builds (having fun!)

Postby crochambeau » Sat May 04, 2019 10:59 am

Paul_C wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:Just fyi, pnp/npn doesn't really dictate the pinout, so make sure you always consult the data sheet unless you know for sure.

well that's annoying - is it done deliberately just to confuse me ?

;)

I theorize that pinouts were regionally derived based on the functional interpretation of what the part is doing by the group or individual who was drafting the actual part.

It boils down to placement of the base, either in between the two nodes that it exerts leverage on (reflecting standard schematic interpretation) or to the side (typically leftmost, lending an end function sequence of import to the pin designation). Hence we've got EBC and BCE (plus inversions, and not counting any proprietary pinout strangeness that I may have overlooked thus far).

Here's a delightful documentary about transistors that sheds some insight on the different trajectories of the technology between the U.S. and Japan (we'll just have to extrapolate similar threads for the U.K., U.S.S.R., and so forth):

I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Paul_C » Wed May 15, 2019 6:47 pm

I'm currently having a break from building, in part because I'm waiting for parts (on the way) for the next batch :)

In that time I've moved a number of pedals on, partly to make room for my own stuff and partly to pay for more parts (and pay a couple of bills).

There are eight vero-built pedals completed now, all of which I'm finally happy with - the last one to be considered "done" is a Tone God Finish Line, which needed me to discover that LM386s come in three types N1, N3 and N4, and that the Finish Line seems happiest with the hottest of the three (N-4).

So next up are some noise-makers - a Clari(not), a Noise Swatch and a Rattle Crow. Along with those I'm putting two HLAs into one enclosure (not decided what to call it yet).

After that I've still got nine I'd like to make, but along with that I want to explore tweaking my two "original" circuits and hopefully create some more interesting things with the knowledge I get from building the ones above.

I also want to do some recording with the new pedals :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Mon May 27, 2019 1:37 pm

Just finished my HLA2, two stuttery fuzzes squeezed into one 1590B enclosure.

It didn't work at first (my mistake) but I got it doing what it should, then it stopped doing what it was doing but then I solved that too (loose transistor) :)

The stutter effect is modified by how much signal is coming in, and with both on the first one triggers the second in interesting and slightly more random ways, which is what I was hoping for.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon May 27, 2019 5:38 pm

Yeah Devi really mastered those circuits.

Godzilla still my favorite
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon May 27, 2019 11:31 pm

crochambeau wrote:I theorize that pinouts were regionally derived based on the functional interpretation of what the part is doing by the group or individual who was drafting the actual part.

It boils down to placement of the base, either in between the two nodes that it exerts leverage on (reflecting standard schematic interpretation) or to the side (typically leftmost, lending an end function sequence of import to the pin designation). Hence we've got EBC and BCE (plus inversions, and not counting any proprietary pinout strangeness that I may have overlooked thus far).

Here's a delightful documentary about transistors that sheds some insight on the different trajectories of the technology between the U.S. and Japan (we'll just have to extrapolate similar threads for the U.K., U.S.S.R., and so forth):

in most BJT (bipolar junction transistor) silicon designs, the base is off to the side anyway. packaging a BC547 or a BC557 just makes sense to follow the layout of the silicon. the american standard follows more closely the conceptual diagram of N doped (base) silicon sandwiched between two P doped layers of silicon. this is also consistent with the electrical schematics having the base in the middle. if you want to see what the silicon construction looks like for any modern BJT, you can look up epitaxial planar transistor. I think you are probably correct that each country had common conventions that became entrenched standards. we can not now change the pinout of legacy philips part numbers commonly used in the UK. it is a mystery to me how a company from the netherlands has a part number used so frequently in the UK. the current manufacturers of the BCxxx parts are ON semi and Fairchild. both are american companies. japan has a bit of everything as far as pinouts go. the transistors they made there were %90 for export at one time. they needed to be direct drop in replacements for everything else that came before. they gained massive market share at one point due to better manufacturing.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Tue May 28, 2019 9:37 am

Recorded a little guitar through my HLA2 (plus one or two other pedals) and took a snippet from it to make this:

Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Previous

Return to DIY Effects