Stripboard build - first question

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Stripboard build - first question

Postby Paul_C » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks for that - it's all part of the learning process :)

I ordered the oversize ones because I saw a picture and assumed they were similar in size to ones I've seen before - they turned out to be around four times the size !

I only bought five so they haven't cost a fortune.

. . . and I bought a couple more stripboards while I was at it.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:02 am

DRodriguez wrote:Box caps are just film caps in a certain package style. They range in price and values like any other film cap i believe. Most cheap diy kits have box style too . just look for anything around 5mm to fit most vero layouts.

Heres a good little thing about caps for pedals
https://www.coda-effects.com/2015/04/ca ... hoose.html
To DRods point -
Yeah I bought all 5 of these 100n's from Tayda. The green poly films are actually my favorite as far as noise goes.. I think... but you can see how much bigger they are than the poly film box and ceramic and monolithic. Some PCBs and layouts just simply won't fit the big greenies so you need to be aware :)*

And of course stuff like 20p-1000p(1n) typically aren't common in anything other than ceramic/monolithic.
Attachments
20190222_063621_crop_367x367.jpg
20190222_063621_crop_367x367.jpg (83.88 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:48 pm

If you took that green bit and tipped it on its side, that would be about the size of the five I have - the wires comfortably span five strips without bending anything, which isn't much help when I need them to only span 3 :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby mictester » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:38 pm

Paul_C wrote:I see :)

I can see myself acquiring lots of parts before long (for one thing, some of the sellers on eBay sell 100 of some things for the price of 10 elsewhere, so it would be foolish to only have 10 ;) ) but I thought starting slow might have been a good idea, even though it doesn't usually take long before a simple four pedal board becomes 30 or buying one weird looking Yamaha bass finished with me owning 16 (all gone now) so I ought to have known from the start it would get crazy pretty quickly.

Paul - I'm in the UK too (East Anglia these days) and buy stuff from Tayda, Futurlec , and several other Far Eastern companies. I also buy stuff out of Shenzhen in China. You should also get "cash" accounts (no credit involved) with CPC / Farnell and my local supplier which is Rapid Electronics https://www.rapidonline.com/ The UK ones are more expensive than the Far East, but you get the parts next day!

The one thing I can't find at reasonable price is a Wah Shell - diecast with a good hinge and (ideally) the rack and pinion mechanism. I bought some shells a few years ago from the Far East, but they stopped making them. I successfully used crossed plastic polarised filters to vary the light falling on LDRs in a few wahs and pedal phasers (a neglected device, I find). The filters worked at least as well as the Morley shutter arrangement, and were very robust. Anyone got any ideas for Wah Shells? I'd even put up with the nasty cheap ones that Colorsound use!
mictester

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Jero » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:45 pm

mictester wrote:The one thing I can't find at reasonable price is a Wah Shell - diecast with a good hinge and (ideally) the rack and pinion mechanism. I bought some shells a few years ago from the Far East, but they stopped making them. I successfully used crossed plastic polarised filters to vary the light falling on LDRs in a few wahs and pedal phasers (a neglected device, I find). The filters worked at least as well as the Morley shutter arrangement, and were very robust. Anyone got any ideas for Wah Shells? I'd even put up with the nasty cheap ones that Colorsound use!

Idk about there, but the best bet is using old crybaby's. They can often be found for the same, or less, than diy suppliers list them. Other than that, group by for a decent size order of them direct.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:35 am

been buying broken crybaby for a while. if you buy a working crybaby you can build a pedal out of the guts. that is exactly what a dunlop/MXR Q is made of. so I sell two pedals made out of a $30 crybaby.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to DIY Effects