Wah/boost making ground-y noise (but only w/ fuzz??)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Wah/boost making ground-y noise (but only w/ fuzz??)

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:23 pm

Yeah it's primarily for reducing noise, it's also a good place to star ground if you don't want to use a stereo jack as EYG describes
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm

It's got a stereo jack and it's (mostly) star grounded at the chassis screw point. Continuity tests well. Next time the iron's hot, I'll redo some ground connections and if that fails I'll run two separate batteries in there to see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't work, I might just forget it and get used to having an always-on SHO in front of my fuzz (doesn't sound *bad*, but it's different).
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:59 pm

I would try to make sure it's ALL star ground. Any ground loops could be your problem
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:56 am

The wah board goes to the chassis ground at two points (the blue and red wires on the far end of the board in the pic), does that look like a potential loop? It wasn't particularly noisy until I added the booster circuit.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to DIY Effects