Paintjob suggestions

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Paintjob suggestions

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:39 pm

I think binary epoxy is probably the strongest, Ugly Casanova has some info in his refinish thread about it. I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will... right about when I get into etching ;)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:59 pm

the thickness of DIY epoxy pour is thicker than most manufacturers would want to spend. it is wasteful to do one pedal at a time so you end up doing 3 at a time. then you have to worry about dust. if you are brave and you want to get kinda spendy then yeah epoxy is great in every possible way.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby garyg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:25 am

BetterOffShred wrote:I've used the auto clear coat, and matte finishes. None of its amazing.. I buy that shit that has the big 2X on it now, it seems to be the strongest and if you use a toaster it goes on thick AF.

Cheers, I should really look for a toaster oven, don't seem so popular over here, uk, so don't turn up cheap so often.
garyg

interested
interested

Postby Jero » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:38 pm

garyg wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:I've used the auto clear coat, and matte finishes. None of its amazing.. I buy that shit that has the big 2X on it now, it seems to be the strongest and if you use a toaster it goes on thick AF.

Cheers, I should really look for a toaster oven, don't seem so popular over here, uk, so don't turn up cheap so often.

Might be different there, but I've picked them up from Goodwill/thrift types places for like $5 before
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby garyg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:04 am

Jero wrote:
garyg wrote:

Might be different there, but I've picked them up from Goodwill/thrift types places for like $5 before

Yeah, that's what people keep saying but I've yet to find one here, bloody annoying. ;) I think health and safety laws stop a lot of old electrical stuff being sold in the uk, certainly a lot of charity shops won't take anything like that. Out of interest, when you talk of 'Goodwill' is that like a chain of shops or something? UK charities all have their own shops, wondered if goodwill was like a combined effort of something or just a generic term...?
garyg

interested
interested

Postby superslidetail » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Goodwill are a national thrift/secondhand store here in the US. They get most of their inventory from donations from the public as far as I know. Do you have any flea markets where you are?
superslidetail

interested
interested

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Goodwill is the bomb. You can get a "world's greatest piano tuner" coffee mug, rush hour 2 on DVD and a toaster oven all in one stop
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:23 pm

Oh that makes sense. We aren't as health and safety conscious as we'd like others to believe, haha. Goodwill is a non profit second hand store, where they sell items people donate. They also offer jobs/training for people who are otherwise having trouble with said things I believe. They are some times good for finding old/random stuff like toy keyboards, vintage cameras, random electronics to re-purpose, sweaty band tees, you name it :lol:

EDIT: others beat me to it
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby garyg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:42 am

superslidetail wrote:Goodwill are a national thrift/secondhand store here in the US. They get most of their inventory from donations from the public as far as I know. Do you have any flea markets where you are?

Cheers. In a way, maybe not called that. We have boot sales where people sell old unwanted stuff (out of their car boots. Or trunks as you would say :)) at a gathering (like a communal yard sale if you will). There's certainly semi-permanent markets where people sell stuff at stalls though they usually have fancy names like 'emporium'. Great for buying old 70s tat at inflated prices (collectible...) The boot sales are where you're most likely to find old electrical stuff cheaply, have occasionally found someone with old music gear but I think most people are ebay/gumtree(craigslist?) savvy now.

BetterOffShred wrote:Goodwill is the bomb. You can get a "world's greatest piano tuner" coffee mug, rush hour 2 on DVD and a toaster oven all in one stop

Heh, sounds like a typical brit charity shop, always good for stocking up on Dan Brown novels too.

Jero wrote:Oh that makes sense. We aren't as health and safety conscious as we'd like others to believe, haha.

As I mentioned above, if you want old electricals then it's the boot sales for us. Then you get to play "will it smoke or just pop a fuse when i switch it on"... ;)

They are some times good for finding old/random stuff like toy keyboards, vintage cameras, random electronics to re-purpose, sweaty band tees, you name it :lol:

Yeah, I read blog posts on hackaday and other DIY sites where people seem to always be finding old keyboards and effects or laptops for $20 or something stupid... Maybe we're just greedier over here, people just don't chuck out what they can make money on...

But what any of this has to with the original question, feck knows. Apologies. :)
garyg

interested
interested

Postby Dowi » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 am

Not really a paintjob, just a temporary sticker job to see how the POG would look with a bit of restyling.

BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to DIY Effects