· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Do-it-yourself pedal building

Forum rules

The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!
Post a reply

Re: Cheap components...

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:14 am

frodog wrote:The power jacks you use on pedals, like say those big ones that have the nut on the outside (like on Wizard of Pitch, might be a different brand there), but the ones I've bought have all been flimsy, like you have to make sure the plug is ALL the way in and doesn't move at all for it to work.

Funnily enough, the only genuine bad component I've come across so far was a power jack. Started off flaky then just stopped working, I guess the contacts are flimsy and bend after a number of insertions.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:50 pm

this is why I use a 2 pin power entry jack kobiconn 163-1060-EX. there is no nut. these are press fit. if I want to make it last forever I just hot glue it in place after final assembly. this prevents the tabs from compressing. there is no switch in this jack to fail..

Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:56 pm

Kobiconn looks very nice. Unfortunately the type I want seems hard to find in Europe. This:

But.. here are the ones I had trouble with. Only ordered two of them, but both were non-functional with any standard plug, had to just throw them away (to electronics recycling). Ordered from Tayda. Strange, because all the other parts I've gotten from them have been good.

Avoid.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:11 pm

frodog wrote:But.. here are the ones I had trouble with. Only ordered two of them, but both were non-functional with any standard plug, had to just throw them away (to electronics recycling). Ordered from Tayda. Strange, because all the other parts I've gotten from them have been good.

Avoid.

I prefer this form factor of DC inlet, as it allows me to build out everything 100% before punching it into an enclosure (should I desire the luxury). I've discovered nothing but garbage in all versions beyond this one: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/490-PJ-011A
Post a reply