Strat -> Baritone?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Strat -> Baritone?

Postby McSpunckle » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:56 am

There are basses out there as short as 28". That's standard Baritone scale, and they're tuned down further than the difference of standard to baritone, I think. Baritones are tuned down about a 4th (B), and a 4th below B is a step above E of the short scale bass.

In other words: nyeh.
McSpunckle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eti » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:36 am

http://cooldiscountinstruments.com/shop ... 7ca789c350
DeArmond Ashbory Travel electric Bass Guitar Blue-Short Scale
One piece Agathis body. 18” scale.

:wow what a fantastic idea you have there:
eti

committed
committed

Postby hazelwould » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Epic thread= epic lolz!!
:love:
hazelwould

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby genxide » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:51 pm

veteransdaypoppy wrote:<3<3aen. mah hero.

genxide wrote:have fun arguing and whining about, instead of playing. it's funny to see how kids now a days spend the time they could be experimenting and practicing and working on music. i wont be checking this thread again.
*mutters obscenities about the kids these days*

... so if you're an advocate for experimentation... why are you telling me not to experiment? maybe fucked up intonation is what i'm going for. :lol:

whatever man, if you wanna leave because people disagree with you on one simple thing, then that's fine. we don't really appreciate such close-mindedness on this forum anyway. silly as it is, we're a tight-knit community on here and you refusing to be a part of it because of this silliness just baffles me in regard to your immaturity. yet you call me a kid. :idk:

chill out dude. don't go away mad, just go away.

it's not leaving cause of a simple dissagreement. it's leaving cause i have better things to do..
i encourage experimenting, but i also encourage learning the limits of things. i never was close minded. i always stated it can be done to sound good in standard scale.... i also pointed out that it's impossible to obtain 'perfect' intonation, anyway. I also have a ton of guitars that the intonation is massively wacked on. it happens massively, with actual alternate tunings.
so i dont care to sit here and have my time wasted, by some father who doesnt want to spend a couple extra bucks on his children. if i did, i'd get a job at an instrument dealer. and there are far more informative threads on here, than this one, to me... i've been playing alternate tunings and detunes for almost 20 years. and devi asked me to join here, so that i MYSELF, can learn things, which i'm not on this thread.

but you can keep pointing fingers at me, treating me like the bad guy, when in reality i was the only one that said anything usefull and helpfull to the person that started this thread, and not once try to lead them down the wrong path.

not sure if the short scale bass thing was there to be against what i said or not.... but if it was... shortscale bass necks, still have the frets spaced further apart. which is also how they are on baritone necks. not just spaced apart as much on a baritone. this spacing helps intonation problems of tuning down. a baritone is roughly inbetween the range of bass and guitar, so a spacing of frets inbetween the spacing size of a bass and guitar, is kinda obvious. there is a reason they make baritone necks. they've been around before detuning was ever 'cool'

there's nothing left to say here on the matter, really. this is a message board for information. not a chatroom.
genxide

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby aen » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:45 pm

I THOUGHT YOU WERE DONE WITH THIS THREAD.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smile_man » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:31 pm

genxide wrote: they've been around before detuning was ever 'cool'

fuck you, don't act like that. Not everyone can be born at the same time.

genxide wrote:there's nothing left to say here on the matter, really. this is a message board for information. not a chatroom.

There was a chatroom, but someone hack the server and we can not has. :(
http://tsunshining.bandcamp.com/ - jamz
http://www.jamiecoxxx.tumblr.com - art jamz
zackv wrote:stop fooling around and shell out the 320$

SPACERITUAL wrote:SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRITUAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
smile_man

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby veteransdaypoppy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:56 pm

well, i'm gonna try shit out. mostly because i dig the way that aen's baritone-tuned guitars sound on his demos.
i had no idea that baritone guitars were cool. especially since i don't really like metal music or heavily detuned drony stuff. my favorite music is actually miles davis, bon iver, and radiohead type shit. so i really think making a baritone guitar is actually kind of an awkward move within context, but i dig trying things that aren't always familiar ground with my tunes.

this is all a huge misunderstanding. if you'da read the OP you'd have noticed that i said i'm on a tight budget and honestly i'd rather just end up buying a pack of strings and paying for a set-up (if necessary.) my being on a tight budget eliminates the possibility of buying a baritone neck (unless it's REALLY cheap) and i was just asking if it'd be a stupid, completely unplayable guitar idea. most people said try it, but you made me feel stupid. that's not the way we work around here. now, obviously, this isn't the first time i've felt attacked on a forum.
all i'm sayin is that i thought you were being rude. whatever. no big deal, no hard feelings with me.
well i guess, but i just don't know.

dollys
veteransdaypoppy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby aen » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:10 am

veteransdaypoppy wrote:my favorite music is actually miles davis, bon iver,

Both Justin and Mike play a lot of baritone or 6 string short scale bass live, and I know that at least one of the guitars on Bloodbank was labeled "baritone" in the tracking. Justin has the Gretsch 6 string bass (just like a bass VI) and the Jaguar baritone custom. So, uh, they've got your back? Both times I saw Bon Iver (when you could still see them in a coffee shop or bar) Mike rocked the gretsch for most if not all of the show.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby genxide » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:37 pm

veteransdaypoppy....

$180 is the cheapest i know of.
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/necks/str ... eneck.aspx

if you find cheaper post it here, so we all can know.

now if you're unsure of playing below standard, you deffinately should try it out with a normal guitar. your intonation will be off some, but it will not be anything so wacked out, you couldnt get a feel through.

baritone's have had a 'coolness' since that 'staind' band came out.

btw, neil young, i also believe played down in C some, on standard scale acoustics.

i went baritone neck, because it's notes are closer in tune to all of my keyboards, than when i detuned on any of my standard scale guitars, even with highly professional techs doing the setting up.

...insults were worded in general, so that all who had any feeling they may be deserving of them, would think it was directed at them. they actualy were directed to other individuals, and not to you.

smile man...
baritones have been around longer than anyone alive. unless the myth's of vampires are true.
and sorry to hear about the chatroom, i know what it's like to be hacked. had to deal with it since i first ever got online... still have to deal with it, from time to time.

i'll check back later, to see if anybody's ever found cheaper baritone necks.

but what did i say that was twisted as rude? that most guitarist dont hear good intonation? unfortunately it's a sad fact. mostly just because they've never experienced it to know the difference. and then there's the ones that think intonation only occurs at the 12th fret. i've proven that here. most guitarists dont even know that guitars use what is called a compensatory intonation system. meaning that perfect intonation is impossible, and that intonation is set to compensate for this. the only way to achieve perfect intonation on a guitar is to readjust fret positions based on the key you are playing in. lol. so all forms of intonation is set to compensate for this problem, not fix.

now knowing most guitarists have a poor understanding of intonation, and then realizing that if they have a poor knowledge of intonation, the non music making masses, have NO knowledge of intonation... you now are fully capable of choosing how accurately to strive for, based on your own needs and desires.

rude? i guess if you're one of those people that feels gauging the world we live in, is wrong.
genxide

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby magiclawnchair » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:58 pm

veteransdaypoppy have you tried this out yet? :poke:

i did something like this with one of my les pauls a few months ago. my cousin gave me a set of .012" diaddario chromes and i wasnt sure what to do with them. i put them on and tuned down to B standard. it sounded alright but it was a little muddy. it did make me want to look into a baritone a seven string or getting a beater to do up right with heavy strings. if you have a beater that you dont play go with it and it will be worth it! :thumb:

i love me some miles davis as well! :) :) :joy: :joy:
:flame:
"You sir, broke my speakers." - Jero
"I'll be the short-haired dummy headbanging like I've still got my old metal hair over in the corner." - jrmy
"And if you're going to sell something why not come and chat for a while... :( " - smile_man
"GO BLACKHAWKS!!!!!" - ST :animal:
http://soundcloud.com/magiclawnchair
http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicLawnChair
http://www.myspace.com/owlcambridge
shop http://fuzzhugger.com/fhfx.html today! :poke:
magiclawnchair

FUZZHEROSAURUS
FUZZHEROSAURUS

Postby veteransdaypoppy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:27 pm

magiclawnchair wrote:veteransdaypoppy have you tried this out yet? :poke:

i did something like this with one of my les pauls a few months ago. my cousin gave me a set of .012" diaddario chromes and i wasnt sure what to do with them. i put them on and tuned down to B standard. it sounded alright but it was a little muddy. it did make me want to look into a baritone a seven string or getting a beater to do up right with heavy strings. if you have a beater that you dont play go with it and it will be worth it! :thumb:

i love me some miles davis as well! :) :) :joy: :joy:

Not yet, soon though. Need cashola. And I just bought Piezo mics and a Honeytone amp so I can diy myself a little odd percussion kit to run through some fx and experimennnnnnnnnnt Pet Sounds style.

dollys
veteransdaypoppy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby genxide » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:06 am

veterans, if you find one of those old crappy department store yamaha electronic drum pad things, you can rip the pads out, they have 2 leads, a positive n negative.... some effects n you got kick ass lofi electro drums. i've been playing with that and old speakers wired reverse, for ages.

magic... how did your g-type chord sound? i find they play muddy on the smaller gibson scaled necks, even at E-standard tuning. and for 7-string... that was my initial plan before going baritone, but decided to try baritone, mostly due to having more parts around the house for 6 strings, and after looking into intonation issues felt baritone was a far better decision and havent regretted it yet. last year me and my cousin was talking, and he was telling me that he's started tuning his 7 string up to E-standard, because the low notes werent sounding out correctly, not intonating right.
genxide

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby htsamurai » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:23 pm

ILF : where HC/TGP style douchebags come to be in the minority

hey genxcide............jenny, heh....
yeah, hey jenny why you gotta be frontin like a mofo? we all know yous good people at the core :love:
so jenny here's what I propose, go listen to MBV if you wanna stick around. go listen to SRV if you don't
buy an ECT if you wanna be

if not ....go buy a klon or a dumble or something....
bnet: htsamurai#1534
instagram: lastoneawake

stanimal wrote:Ummm yeah, didn't realize we loved HT that much
htsamurai

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby veteransdaypoppy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:17 pm

a bit late, ht :whateva:

dollys
veteransdaypoppy