How to hook up multiple components to one 9v battery

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: How to hook up multiple components to one 9v battery

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:11 pm

The negative leg of each cap goes to the ground rail, the 9v battery negativr leg and all the negative power line from each component goes to the same ground rail. You have only one ground strip. All grounds connect to it.

Just like the huminator
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:16 pm

All grounds should connect and form up one universal ground which includes your enclosure if it's metal.

But yeah, this really is choose your own adventure.

I would recommend hooking the circuits up one at a time, so you don't bury a simple mistake under several layers of process making troubleshooting even more difficult.

Mistakes are going to be made, they are the best education, have fun with it!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:31 pm

if you connect a toy that runs on a single AA battery 1.5v then your 9v battery could kill it with over voltage. two AA batteries is 1.5v + 1.5v = 3v. if you know the current consumption exactly, you can just use a current limiting resistor to control the voltage drop without the bottom shunt you would normally have in a voltage divider. the logical next step with toys is to replace the clock with something you can slow down on a knob. there are lots of tutorials for circuit bending toys by switching out the clock for a 555 or 40106
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to DIY Effects