Tube Preamp, NYC Muff enclosure

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Tube Preamp, NYC Muff enclosure

Postby Adamadamadam » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:15 pm

Q: Holy shit! Where have you been?
A: http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60417

So my first fuzz pedal was an NYC Big Muff. I got it as part of a trade and wasn't blown away by the sound, but it's a well-known circuit with hundreds of dedicated mods and the chassis is enormous compared to the size of the electronics. It's the stompbox I cut my teeth on and after several years, a mess of wires, lifted traces, and a re-house, it's completely non-functional. Which is fine. I held onto the original enclosure for no particular reason.

Naturally, I decided to build a high-voltage tube preamp into it (I already had the transformers from something else that never happened, which were at least half the overall cost). It's basically a single-channel Alembic F-2B with a james tone-stack. The plate voltage for the 12a_7 is around 340v. The noise floor is a bit higher than I'd like, but I haven't played around with some of the more exotic dual-triodes with a different MU for each side. I've only tried ax7s and au7s, and the u doesn't provide enough gain. I've been able to saturate the tube with higher-output 'buckers, but with vintage style strat pups it stays clean. I put the volume before the second gain stage, so there's some flexibility there. Either way, it can pummel the front end of whatever it's plugged into.

More looking to show-off than sell, but shoot me a message if you're interested. I don't really have much use for it.

Last edited by Adamadamadam on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adamadamadam

committed
committed

Re: Tube Preamp, NYC Muff enclosure

Postby crochambeau » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:24 pm

Nice job stuffing!

340 volts on the anode is pretty steep for a 12AX7, I wonder if that is contributing to the noise floor? I like to park mine in the 160-220 range.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Adamadamadam » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:44 pm

It's possible, but I think it has more to do with having to ignore every audio-wiring best-practice in order to get the circuit to fit. My understanding is that the original Alembic also had a comically high B+, though I can't find a schematic at the moment. It's not awful: think SD1 at full tilt, but I expect more from myself.
Adamadamadam

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:44 pm

Toroidal transformer = sex.

Cool build. Did you chopstick your wiring dress to see if you have any lays that contribute to noise ?
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Adamadamadam » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Cool build. Did you chopstick your wiring dress to see if you have any lays that contribute to noise ?

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of leeway there. I suspect the problem stems from the molex-type connection that connects the pots to the eyelet board. It makes it much easier to crack open and work on, but I don't have a ton of say in where the wires end up when closed.
Adamadamadam

committed
committed

Postby ibarakishi » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:10 am

any demos of this?
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects