UC rehouses and paintjobs

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: UC rehouses and paintjobs

Postby Jero » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:55 pm

In my little experience with such things, you def want to do it how UC says ^ there.
Cheap resins, mixing too quickly, etc seems to create issue. Cloudy finish, air bubbles, etc.

Have you done this to anything not pre drilled yet? Curious how it handles getting a bit through it (not planning on doing this method, just for info's sake)
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:18 pm

The pedal in the video below was drilled post resin. I used my thinnest drill bit first to get the placement right, then a coned drill to keep the "drilled out resin" and metal from scratching up the finish. That might be the biggest issue, because that sharp plastic plus metal shards is sure to create scratches if you're not careful and/or using a regular drill bit. Just take it slow and remove shards often and it should be fine. :)*

The best option I've found so far is to drill the holes before adding resin and rather taping the holes shut from inside the enclosure first, then you'll only have to drill through resin instead of resin+metal. I think that's how cloudscapes does it. That's something I'd do on other people's pedals, but I don't really care enough about the resin caving in a bit towards holes for pedals I plan on keeping. Most of the cave ins, except mini toggles, are not noticeable after you add the nuts and bolts (and knobs) anyways. :p

UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu May 03, 2018 7:29 am

Decided to experiment a little with the finish on both the TAFM and BitQuest to see what works/doesn't work and what I like/don't like. All about that __t e x t u r e__ this time around.

They're still a ways off from being done, but this is the general idea.

Almost dried paint and coarse sponge for the TAFM (pic of first layer)

On the BQ, I'm purposefully water-damaging the paint right before it dries to create these (interesting?) cracks and folds. This is gonna take a whole lot of clear coats to flatten out before the print goes on! :lol:

I like paint. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu May 03, 2018 8:25 am

That's dope :joy:

I got a similar orange peel effect by accident on a pedal, and I think the clear coats were too thin in the end to fully smooth it out. Maybe a first coat of epoxy.. I'm curious to see your results. :)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu May 03, 2018 10:12 am

That crackle is going to look dope once epoxied

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu May 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Thanks, dudes!

Close up sneak peak of the TAFM. I don't know how, but the original print got through the three layers of paint, multiple clear coats and resin. Magic/chemistry! :lol:

I like how it looks though, plus it saves me money on water decal paper. :cool: :p

UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu May 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Looks sick! :rock:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Thanks, dudes!

Close up sneak peak of the TAFM. I don't know how, but the original print got through the three layers of paint, multiple clear coats and resin. Magic/chemistry! :lol:

I like how it looks though, plus it saves me money on water decal paper. :cool: :p

I would love an explanation for this, as I have had the same thing happen with certain finishes. I was pissed the first time it happened cause I had sanded off sloppy sharpie writing, only for it to reappear when clear coating! :lol:

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri May 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks again, dudes! :group:

We need a chemist in here!

Here's the end result on the TAFM
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri May 04, 2018 6:04 pm

That looks awesome, well done.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri May 04, 2018 6:06 pm

I love your choice of aesthetic, so that means a lot! Thank you!
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon May 07, 2018 5:02 am

Aaaaand BitQuest done! Had to redo this thing due to complications, so the extreme texture aspect of it had to be scrapped, but I'm still pretty stoked on it! :!!!:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon May 07, 2018 10:29 am

:thumb:

in before Chankgeez hates on your knobs :p

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon May 07, 2018 10:59 am

Looks dope man :) the stars on the night sky is a good look!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon May 07, 2018 11:05 am

Jero wrote:

in before Chankgeez hates on your knobs :p

:lol: It's OK, I think that TAFM has hints of purple. So, it all balances out or something. :D
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects