Making custom DC cables

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Making custom DC cables

Postby Bon Hoga » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:09 am

Where can I buy plugs and cable to roll my own Pedal Power cables? I don't need any reverse polarity or non-standard voltage stuff, if that matters. Thanks in advance.
Bon Hoga

committed
committed

Re: Making custom DC cables

Postby Ben79 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Ebay would have tons. I just searched and found lots in the UK. For cable you either just need some 2 core or you could just twist regular hookup wire I suppose.

Why do you want to make your own? To get custom lengths?
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:41 pm

I think most off the shelf daisy chains are coaxial or 1 conductor shielded which is the same thing. usually it is a cheaper thinner cable than the shielded cable we use for audio for custom pedal boards and instrument cables. bigger is better in a world where cost is not the main concern. I would not go smaller than 24 AWG or larger than 18 AWG. you may find that some of the cheap crap often sold as suitable for all guitar players is 26 AWG. obviously I would disagree. if you can't find specs, don't buy it. or buy it but reserve judgement till you inspect the merchandise? compare to anything on hand with a known resistance per foot or known AWG.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:50 pm

I wouldn't go with a complete scratch build for each cable. Primarily because the Kobiconn plugs that are available are kinda funky and they need to be glued to ziptied once you snap the two housing pieces together. Voodoo Lab used to use those plugs for their custom right angle cables before they changed to molded right angle cables for all their products. I think I still have some of those original 15 year old custom voodoo lab cables in my box somewhere. Anyway, instead I would start with a half complete cable assembly like this one:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ko ... YEMSrEQ%3d

Then you get the durable molded right angle plug for the pedal side and 2 feet of cable. You can use a better quality screw-together straight DC plug on the other end that goes into the power supply for a neat assembly.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CU ... 2EvQ%3d%3d
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Khem_One » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 am

drone, not drones
Khem_One

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Dr Satan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 pm

That cable you linked to is 12/3 mains wiring, not gonna work for DIY pedal power cables. The site says those ends work with their "Tightrope" cable (https://lavacable.com/collections/bulk- ... rope-cable), which is a solid core cable. It may work fine, I honestly don't know, but I'm still wary of solderless cables and solid core wire isn't my first choice for cables that get moved around a lot. I do have some old RCA cables that are solid core and they have held up well over the years, but they don't get moved around and plugged in and out a whole lot like my pedalboards do, lol.

I want to say I've seen somewhere you can buy pre-terminated lengths of cable, and if the price is right and you can get one cable that is long enough to cut and make 2, then you might get a little more bang for your buck getting something like that and some of those ends whosimarykelly linked to.
Dr Satan

committed
committed

Return to DIY Effects