Need help with a Noise Ensemble (update)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Need help with a Noise Ensemble (update)

Postby K2000 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:26 am

Hey, I bought this Noise Ensemble here (built by a forum member, I forget his name, I think maybe he stopped posting before I started posting).

I was playing, and I could have sworn I heard a POP (I had multiple pedals engaged). Then I noticed that the Noise Ensemble wasn't working. When I opened it up, this component was rattling around inside - LM 7805 AC

I'm not able to fix it myself probably (I'm a crummy solderer) but maybe my friend can fix it, if he knows what to do. Can anyone explain? Only thing I can figure is that maybe it slots into the sockets (?) directly above the stomp switch (?) but in what orientation?

Also, it has a slight burnt smell :(

This is one of my favorite pedals of all time. HELP, I'M NOT SMART!
Last edited by K2000 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Need help with a Noise Ensemble

Postby K2000 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:29 am

I know someone will recognize this awesome finish. I notice the schematics show 2 knobs, while my unit has 3.

Some schematics I found, not sure if they are relevant:

K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:07 am

Pull up a datasheet for the LM7805AC.

This will inform you of which leg is which.

Being a voltage regulator, one of these legs is designed to accept an incoming voltage. Note the green wire traveling from the DC jack input to the circuit board *very near* the transistor socket. If you can visually (or better yet electronically with a continuity tester) confirm that wire connects to one of the outer legs you will have all of the information you need to put this back together.

That said, a socketed TO220 package is begging to jump free at the worst moment, so maybe engineering a seat belt of sorts may be in order.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:58 am

With printed side face up and pins towards you, pins are 1-3 left to right. Pin 1 is your 9v input from supply. Assuming the 9v wire goes to pin 1, that lines up with my suspicion that the builder bent the pins away from the capacitors--more room to make sure the regulator clears the back lid.

(I've done Noise Ensembles with the smaller 78L05, myself--the full 7805 is a bit overkill to the task.)
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:49 am

What he said^

Going off what I can see...It looks like you would want to place it back in the socket with it leaning to the left (The way you have the LM7805 in the picture, from left to right the pins are 1,2,3 (in/ground/out). On the socket, top to bottom, the pins are 3,2,1). *Please double check orientation before trying*

If your chip is toast I can send you one.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:49 am

Whoops....gone fission beat me

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:21 pm

So the piece just floats off to the side then? (Mongo not smart)

It got bumped around a bunch lately, so it must have gotten dislodged. No soldering? Woo!
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby K2000 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:31 pm

IT'S ALIVE!

OMG that was so easy. Thanks everybody for holding my hand, seriously. I think it just got jostled in transport a few too many times.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Need help with a Noise Ensemble (solved)

Postby Achtane » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:44 pm

I built this pedal years ago! I'm glad that you got it fixed without goin through hell.
Cool to see that you like the pedlol, I was actually thinking about it the other day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Need help with a Noise Ensemble (update)

Postby K2000 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Update: I still need help with this... the stomp switch is noisy when it’s touched (static, crackle) and through a loud amp it’s a real problem. I’m not able to fix it myself. Achtane told me he’s not geared up for working on pedals currently, I checked with him first. It might be a grounding issue (???) or maybe the whole switch needs to be replaced? If anyone is good at troubleshooting and is familiar with this pedal, I’ll pay for repair service, or barter equipment (up to you). Thanks!
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jero » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:54 pm

I can take a look at it for ya if you haven't found someone yet.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:30 am

Jero wrote:I can take a look at it for ya if you haven't found someone yet.

I pm’d you, thanks!
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Return to DIY Effects