Breadboard oscillates, PCB does not :CCCC

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Breadboard oscillates, PCB does not :CCCC

Postby cherler » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 am

So I was messing around with different transistors and bias values in a previous fuzz circuit I built, and found a pretty fun place with oscillation those rad sub octave glitch sounds some oscillating fuzz's do. I drew up a PCB, ordered them, and they don't oscillate at all :cry:

My best guess is that I'm getting some kind of capacitive coupling through rows on the breadboard or something? Does anyone have any clues where I could start figuring out what went wrong? Also just in case the circuit is below!

NSFW: show
Instagram yo

Good dealin's: D.o.S.
cherler

experienced
experienced

Re: Breadboard oscillates, PCB does not :CCCC

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Did you add power filtering at all to the boards? That usually kills oscillation first.

I might try and make a stripboard layout of it and see if it oscillates... the spacing should be just a hair wider than the breadboard so if it does/doesn't you could confirm your capacitive coupling theory possibly..
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cherler » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Yup that was it! I've been just putting the same power filtering circuit into every build and totally didn't even think about it here. Just butchered out the capacitor and we're golden! Thanks duder!
Instagram yo

Good dealin's: D.o.S.
cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:51 pm

cherler wrote:Yup that was it! I've been just putting the same power filtering circuit into every build and totally didn't even think about it here. Just butchered out the capacitor and we're golden! Thanks duder!

:joy:
:hug:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects