Isolating/Filtering LED noise (flicker, rainbow, etc)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Isolating/Filtering LED noise (flicker, rainbow, etc)

Postby Jero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:06 pm

I have a couple fun but basic project ideas that are more artsy than anything, and I'd like to use these types of leds...

The issue is, as some of you probably know, they add random blips and noises to your signal, which is fun in its own right, but I want to do away with it. Basic filtering has not worked so far (though I admit, I have not messed with it terribly long). I could think of semi complicated ways to try, but I'd like to keep this low parts and simple, if possible.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Jero on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Isolating programmed LEDs (flicker, rainbow, etc)

Postby multi_s » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Jero wrote:I have a couple fun but basic project ideas that are more artsy than anything, and I'd like to use these types of leds...

The issue is, as some of you probably know, they add random blips and noises to your signal, which is fun in its own right, but I want to do away with it. Basic filtering has not worked so far (though I admit, I have not messed with it terribly long). I could think of semi complicated ways to try, but I'd like to keep this low parts and simple, if possible.

Any thoughts?

what do you consider "basic filtering"?
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:33 pm

multi_s wrote:what do you consider "basic filtering"?

Sorry, I probably should have just said, "How do I use these as indicators without disrupting the audio signal." :facepalm: but like this...http://www.muzique.com/lab/led.htm

I feel like I'm just being dense today :idk:

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:09 pm

no worries at all, dont degrade yourself over it, i jsut meant "what have you tried" sort of thing.

i have not used these myslef so i dont know how noisy or what causes the noise.

what is the audio circuit?

you coudl put an LC fulter between the "digital" voltage powering the leds and the audio circuit.

you could try also just giving the digital side its own regulator...

in the end also consider ground current return paths etc. are you breadboarding right now?
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 pm

It basically sounds like a random tone generator :lol:

So there's prob a 555 setup or something, and I'm hearing the oscillator I guess. I can get a clip posted soon. Thinking about running it alone in a bypass loop and seeing if it still does it. The circuit on the breadboard at the time of testing is a distortion, but this project is just a pretty to look at so as not to be boring buffer.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 am

Just to throw it out there, there is a few things that come to mind.. there's an LED driver chip lm3916 that will drive a 10 segment led strip, or also I'd imagine 10 leds..

There is also an audio to light circuit I've seen a few times , yes "sound 2 light " by Deadastronaut.. using only a lm386..

Just some ideas.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 am

BetterOffShred wrote:Just to throw it out there, there is a few things that come to mind.. there's an LED driver chip lm3916 that will drive a 10 segment led strip, or also I'd imagine 10 leds..
There is also an audio to light circuit I've seen a few times , yes "sound 2 light " by Deadastronaut.. using only a lm386..
Just some ideas.

Hmmm that could work too I suppose. Makes it more complicated (but maybe more interesting too) without actually really being complicated at all :lol:
You done anything with those? I actually build a simple sound to light kit years ago. The circuit then got turned into a fuzz for a minute, but I think I put it back together :idk:

The initial idea was for this to look pretty and just twinkle all the time, but responding to your playing would be pretty neat.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects