Transistor sockets?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Transistor sockets?

Postby comtrails70 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Has anyone made circuits using test sockets to place the transistors in?( instead of soldering them directly)
I'm thinking it might allow me to switch out transistor later and also not worry about heating them up too much during installation.Is this uncommon?
Would there be a change in sound quality?
:?:
comtrails70

experienced
experienced

Re: Transistor sockets?

Postby Naz Nomad » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Last edited by Naz Nomad on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naz Nomad

committed
committed

Postby Teej212 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:39 am

i only use them when i prototype things, just to see what i like, but once i have my favorite then i just solder them in...transistors always fall out of their sockets when i take my pedal board on a journey in my car
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby sjtele » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:14 am

I bought a Monsterpiece MKII pedal that the builder used for prototyping and every circuit is socketed. Should be cool for experimenting, when I get the time. I A/B'd it with my other Monsterpiece MKII and it sounds exactly the same to my ears.
sjtele

experienced
experienced

Postby Scruffie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Yeah, they are useful to try an circuit out especially if you are unsure of the pinout or not confident in your solder skills and you can always unsolder them to make an more permanent connection or if it's something like Germaniums that could be damaged with heat, some use hot glue to seal them into the sockets, but an heat sync of some sort would probably help.

Sound though, will be the same.

I find there an good idea, just to be careful, then I remove them later.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby comtrails70 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:00 pm

:thumb:
comtrails70

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects