Just build my first pedal from scratch.. Skruffy Fuzz

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Just build my first pedal from scratch.. Skruffy Fuzz

Postby Saturnine10 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:40 pm

I've been wanting to build my own pedal for a while now, I finally had some extra time on my hands and decided to make it happen :thu:

Being this was the first pedal that I was building from scratch (that wasnt a TB looper) i decided to go with a single knob Fuzz Face circuit. It seemed simple and straight forward enough and it turned out to be not *too* difficult to get it all working properly.

This bad boy uses 2N2222 transistors on a Radio Shack PCB, has a single fuzz knob along with a voltage sag (powa) knob. Its TB of course with a red LED. I whipped up the graphic in Illustrator and printed it out on a Testors water slide decal sheet. I had all the other parts lying around..

Pics:

Decal:

Layout:

Guts:

Finished:

I was quite surprised at how good this fuzz sounded, i guess i didnt really havy my hopes up that high, being that it was my first build. So kudos to me :thu:

The fuzz cleans up really nice when rolling back the volume on the guitar, and the Fuzz and Powa knobs are really interactive. I can get a whole different kind of fuzz with the Powa all the way up and fuzz down and visa versa.

I'm thinking about building another pedal with an additional BMP tone circuit from Bevis Audio but I gotta figure out how to do that.. Haha
Saturnine10

interested
interested

Re: Just build my first pedal from scratch.. Skruffy Fuzz

Postby TheAttackman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:07 pm

looks really godd :thumb:
just a little tip tho.. try keeping your wires as short as possible. it makes everything easier
TheAttackman

experienced
experienced

Postby Saturnine10 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Yea, thats my only beef with my first time round' hahaha

:picard:
Saturnine10

interested
interested

Postby TheAttackman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:13 pm

my next reccommendation is to not build a big muff. be original. build a devi.. and then you can learn all about schematics :thumb:

ooh and get a breadboard. those are tits mcgee my friend
TheAttackman

experienced
experienced

Postby Scruffie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:17 pm

Hey you stole my name! ;)

Looks good, for a build like that those wires aren't too bad a length really,especially for your first time :thumb:
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Teej212 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:19 pm

i vote for the soda meiser

also, does your voltage sag pot make it oscillate? i did that to a fuzz pedal i build and it pisses me off :mad: annoying squealing (not the good kind)

one more thing: LAYOUT:?
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Teej212 wrote:i vote for the soda meiser

also, does your voltage sag pot make it oscillate? i did that to a fuzz pedal i build and it pisses me off :mad: annoying squealing (not the good kind)

one more thing: LAYOUT:?

Hmm.. I don't think an voltage sag should really introduce oscillation... what value pot? Something there don't sound right.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby alterdcrash » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:50 pm

i wish i knew how to make pedals :wow what a fantastic idea you have there:
alterdcrash

committed
committed

Postby Naz Nomad » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Last edited by Naz Nomad on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naz Nomad

committed
committed

Postby Scruffie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:03 pm

Naz Nomad wrote:
alterdcrash wrote:i wish i knew how to make pedals :wow what a fantastic idea you have there:

We all started off 'not knowing' ... jump in, have a go. :thumb:

It's true, I didn't even have a schematic with my first go (not reccomended) but I got there... there is lots of info, start by building an LPB or Super hard on is my Advice, simple then grow... If you call in, i'm usually around the forum to help with stuff (although not all knowledgeable of course, just an slightly educated guess) but other members i'm sure will help too, just buy the parts, possibly buy a breadboard (an prototyping board with no soldering required, good for altering circuits) and who knows how far you could go.

Check out http://www.beavisaudio.com/ for a good starting place.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby alterdcrash » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:18 pm

Scruffie wrote:
Naz Nomad wrote:
alterdcrash wrote:i wish i knew how to make pedals :wow what a fantastic idea you have there:

We all started off 'not knowing' ... jump in, have a go. :thumb:

It's true, I didn't even have a schematic with my first go (not reccomended) but I got there... there is lots of info, start by building an LPB or Super hard on is my Advice, simple then grow... If you call in, i'm usually around the forum to help with stuff (although not all knowledgeable of course, just an slightly educated guess) but other members i'm sure will help too, just buy the parts, possibly buy a breadboard (an prototyping board with no soldering required, good for altering circuits) and who knows how far you could go.

Check out http://www.beavisaudio.com/ for a good starting place.

what is this circut board your talking about that dosnt requier soldering?
alterdcrash

committed
committed

Postby Scruffie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:19 pm

Proto/Breadboard.. it can be used without being soldered but soldering jacks and switch does make it easier but if you check out http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/ this may help...

Protoboard you basically stick the bare components and wires in to test an circuit, not an permanent answer, just an good way to get into it, the board there if you are good can be DIYed cheaper but Dano who sells them is a good guy so either way is cool.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Saturnine10 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:16 am

Yea, the RS board is for sure NOT solder-less.

Mmmmm those solder fumes smell awesome :facepalm:

I used a 10k pot for my sag (as per Beavis's site) and it works good!! I do get the high kinda squeal when the fuzz is on full along with full power to the circuit, but it goes away after a 1/4 from either pot. I'm not gonna do anything about it though, it works just fine other wise :thumb:

Here's the info i used to make it.. (Thanks Teleman :thumb:)

http://www.geocities.com/teleman2805...chematics.html
Saturnine10

interested
interested

Postby aen » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:40 am

TheAttackman wrote:looks really godd :thumb:
just a little tip tho.. try keeping your wires as short as possible. it makes everything easier

usually. I have to use tons of wire on the current Shivas because if I make them all tight and clean and pretty they dont self oscillate.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:11 am

Well 2N2222 transistors are particularly noisy transistors so.. that probably explains the noise
Saturnine10 wrote:Mmmmm those solder fumes smell awesome :facepalm:

Mmm that they do... if you are worried an small computer fan on a stick with an battery can help remove them.

Surprisingly unleaded solder fumes are worse for you, the fumes from leaded solder are mainly flux (rather than lead fumes) which is an mild irritant to the lungs but unleaded brings out more flux fumes making it worse.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Next

Return to DIY Effects