EHX Big Muff

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

EHX Big Muff

Postby sixsicsix » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:01 am

Hey gang, i've got an EHX Big MUFF (USA). i'm happy with it, with the exception i find when i click it on, i get a decrease in volume. I generally leave my volume up around 70% area, but i still notice a dip. are there any mods i could do to give me more gain?
sixsicsix

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: EHX Big Muff

Postby More » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:45 am

If I recall, there are emitter resistors you could jumper, and limiting resistors in between the stages you could also get rid of. This would increase the gain, but would change the sound accordingly.

But if you leave the volume at seventy percent and there's a dip couldn't you leave the volume higher?

I'm just thinking of things based on my recollection of the schematic I'm sure someone with more practical knowledge could help more because I'm sure you shouldn't be having volume problems
Hello
More

involved
involved

Postby sixsicsix » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:29 pm

yeah i was wondering if i was just having a problem with it... i'll look into jumping those diodes...
sixsicsix

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby veteransdaypoppy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:00 pm

What kind of amp are you using?
Sometimes amps have weird built in compressors that make yer fuzzes go all goofy.
:idk: Just a thought. In my experience, Voxes never play well with fuzz.
well i guess, but i just don't know.

dollys
veteransdaypoppy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Scruffie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:11 pm

Ah the on going quest of the big muff...
Straight out removing diodes will give a big volume boost but will have an effect on the tone (possibly in a good way depending on what you like) replacing the diodes will have an effect too, 3mm LEDs/1N34A Germaniums will probably add an fair amount more volume.
A Larger volume pot may go some way, would add more highs though.
If it's that you don't like the tone on full volume (rather than your 70%) an resistor from the wiper to ground of the volume pot will help.
Detatching the Tone stack will help (that's why some models have it switchable, it's passive so steals some volume)
Jumping the emitter resistors will add more gain.... but this means more noise.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby aen » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:31 pm

Also, if you're slamming the input of the amp, sometimes you don't get a boost at all, because you're totally saturating what the amp can take in. Kind of like trying to put playdough through a cardboard tube. You can throw more dough at it, but only so much can get through.

I have a little washburn amp that sounds pretty good, but the input/preamp is so dainty that it "crunches out" with pretty much any distortion. It clips and overdrives with medium output pickups even.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby alterdcrash » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:13 pm

thats odd,when i turn my big muff on it gets realy loud :eek:
alterdcrash

committed
committed

Postby Scruffie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:15 pm

alterdcrash wrote:thats odd,when i turn my big muff on it gets realy loud :eek:

There are soooo many versions with different values and components though... and lots of bootweak clones too... can't compare 2 big muffs.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Return to DIY Effects