Replacement Pot Woes

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby JonnyAngle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:31 am

Sprayed the pots with the correct stuff today. It’ll have to dry for a few days before I re assemble
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:19 pm

The pots are probably ready now. ;)
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JonnyAngle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:27 pm

crochambeau wrote:The pots are probably ready now. ;)

It still looks wet
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Measure the moist patch with a multimeter, if it reads open it's probably just lube.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JonnyAngle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:44 pm

crochambeau wrote:Measure the moist patch with a multimeter, if it reads open it's probably just lube.

How do I measure it?
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:04 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:
crochambeau wrote:Measure the moist patch with a multimeter, if it reads open it's probably just lube.

How do I measure it?

Resistance setting, place the probes near to one another but not touching. Should read open/infinite resistance. This assumes the surface you are measuring is not itself conductive...

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JonnyAngle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:23 pm

I should clarify.

The whole thing is wet and greasy. There’s a lot of pcb smegma that i cleaned off with the contact cleaner and Now it’s kinds wet like.

I put a fan on it to see if it will help. There was lube that i could pooled in the back of the pot.
See
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 am

Heat can help too. I like sticking stuff on top of a radiator heater in teh winter months.

Most of the shit I use is solvent based, so it evaporates quickly. If you have several decades worth of scum on the board, it might benefit from a bath, soap and water style.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:49 pm

I've used the CRC QD contact cleaner many, many times. I never wait until it's dry on anything. My bad maybe? Lol
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 pm

I remember reading that the stuff cleans better with a current going through it. I don't remember where/who i got that from so maybe bullshit?
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:06 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:I remember reading that the stuff cleans better with a current going through it. I don't remember where/who i got that from so maybe bullshit?

I think that's a dubious "let's set up a novice for a big scare" bit of folklore.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frodog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 am

What's the deal with NOS pots? I'm thinking specifically of buying a lot of Ohmite 10k linear pots for use in an EQ build. Has anyone used these, or have any experiences with older, bigger potentiometers? Do they mostly require a deeper enclosure?
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:32 am

JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am

Oh shit. I guess that's a NO, then...
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:54 am

Yeah, those sound ready for replacement..

Regarding NOS, I'm always wary of spending up for anything, so if you're potentially getting these for "old" prices then it's worth a gamble, if the seller is hoping for some NOS premium, just remember: oxidation happens without use, though if these are truly unused the wiper hasn't run a groove in the track yet... and lubricants can dry out on the shelf. I've plenty of old pots that work well, but feel like shit when turning. There are solutions to all this, but they will demand your time and additional consumables, so don't pay up for a lot of shit just because it may have rode around in the back of Jimi Hendrix's pickup truck.

Oh, and the dimensional difference is usually substantially larger diameter with lugs directed out the fucking side, depth is rarely the big concern here, unless you're getting monsters (and those are usually worth the effort to spruce up).

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects